Get Even Reveals Stunning Realism In Debut Teaser

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Get Even Reveals Stunning Realism In Debut Teaser

Get Even's "What Is Real?" trailer doesn't make a lot of sense, but it sure does look great.

Get Even's big hook initially [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130815-Get-Even-Promises-Single-and-Multiplayer-Shooter-Fusion] struck me as the promise to blend single and multiplayer action in one big, overarching experience. Some noise was made about "true photorealism" too, but that's the sort of thing that tends to get bandied around pretty loosely, especially in early press releases.

But this "What Is Real?" teaser makes me wonder. Freaky light show aside, it looks awfully good indeed, even up close. "To create the photo-realistic visuals that bring the gritty universe to life, Get Even is the first game to use large-scale, real-world scanning to create expansive and lifelike environments," developer The Farm 51 said. "This 3D scanning technology combines with advanced lighting effects to create a stunning and believable world that pushes the boundaries of the genre."

[gallery=1998]

That's pretty vague, and nothing was said about the game's hardware requirements, although it's only being developed for "next-gen platforms and PC," suggesting that they'll be on the high side. Nor is The Farm 51 exactly a triple-A studio; its best-known work is an update of the classic FPS Painkiller and aside from that it's done Deadfall Adventures and Necrovision, both interesting in their own right but neither what you'd call a world-beater.

Still, the idea is intriguing, the tech looks impressive and the trailer has that weird, impenetrable European vibe that gets me every time, so I really hope this one works out. Watch for Get Even to come out in 2015.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
They really need to show some sort of gameplay, this tech looks very cool but is it real time or pre-rendered?

And those screens look tweaked as fuck, they look very far from this

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Sure, it looks nice, but that doesn't tell me anything about the game. Especially since that one shot of the soldiers looks way too real. Just look at how the gun on that guy's back moves, or how the flashlight shines. My guess is that a lot of the trailer is live-action. When you're showing off a photo-realistic game, live action is cheating, and until I see evidence to the contrary, this trailer is definitelty cheating.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Daaaah Whoosh said:
Sure, it looks nice, but that doesn't tell me anything about the game. Especially since that one shot of the soldiers looks way too real. Just look at how the gun on that guy's back moves, or how the flashlight shines. My guess is that a lot of the trailer is live-action. When you're showing off a photo-realistic game, live action is cheating, and until I see evidence to the contrary, this trailer is definitelty cheating.
It doesnt look live action at all but it does look pre-rendered, and that basicly makes a trailer that has the intention of showing of the visuals become sort of pointless.

Edit: after watching more closely it does look like the parts where the camera shakes more are indeed live action, the legs looked somewhat like rubber to me but that was probably because of the motion blur in post production.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Its very nice looking, but a short mini preview is not the actual game. Thing is i predict this game will end up a standard corridor shooter like every fps ever. Its the same reason Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter annoyed me. Great graphics and the fact it was set in a city was awesome, but there was zero freedom that fighting a war in a city would give you. Id rather have functional graphics and more freedom in the environment.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
I will believe it looks as good as that when I see it.

Which when you think about it, is the highest compliment you could give. This game will be released and then we shall see

NWJ94

Feb 21, 2013
That REALLY looked pre-rendered. Until actual gameplay footage is released I'm very skeptical. Plus the uncanny valley is still strong for me on that picture with the soldier and the gun.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
josemlopes said:
The camera bit on that gun shows a different scene, so either there is a weird delay on the camera or it's a blatant photoshop. Or maybe it's supposed to be some kind of 'future scope'?

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
CriticalMiss said:
josemlopes said:
The camera bit on that gun shows a different scene, so either there is a weird delay on the camera or it's a blatant photoshop. Or maybe it's supposed to be some kind of 'future scope'?
The pic on the OP is different and it shows that its probably a "future scope" more clearly with a muzzle flash and blood included

Jun 16, 2010
CriticalMiss said:
josemlopes said:
The pic on the OP is different and it shows that its probably a "future scope" more clearly with a muzzle flash and blood included
Also, in the middle picture, the reflection in the pool of blood shows a shadowy figure in the window. There seems to be an "alternate reality" sort of thing going on.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
The environments look stunningly real.
Clearly scans from real buildings, I've walked through ones just like it.

The characters then... are nothing special at all :S

TomWiley

Jul 20, 2012
Well, the environments look real. Strangely real. As if it was filmed by a camera and 3D-rigs were simply added into a perfect one-to-one recreation of the environment.

I'm not sure whether that counts as "graphics".

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Eeeeeyeah. The transitions from live-action shots to CG[footnote]Which looks very much prerendered. There are game engines that can render similar segments with the same level of texture quality and real-time lighting, but given how early on production is, and the overall nature of the video, I find it hard to believe those sections are rendered in real time.[/footnote] were pretty jarring. I could tell bits of that were live-action before I read the upload description.

Anyway, this video demonstrated two things to me:

1: The trend of simply scanning real world objects and environments to build and populate the in-game environments is reaching extreme levels.

2: The further trend of releasing trailers; or "teasers"; that show almost nothing of what the thing is that they're advertising is becoming even more prevalent.

Regardless, a fresh, new IP is a welcome change in today's gaming industry. I'll keep a tentative eye on this projects progress.

Though, I will add that hyper-definition environmental mapping and object details is great and all, but it's all meaningless if the animation isn't equally as fluid and believable. And, given that most of the "action" shots in the trailer looked to be live-action, I'm not filled with a lot of hope that it is.

(That, and the one character I'm certain was CG had the standard, blocky, stiff "hair clump". No visible hair simulation. Or so it seemed. Hard to tell when there's literally no movement besides the camera.)

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
i am really sorry but i can't get excited over nice graphics anymore.
i don't want my games to look realistic and art direction is way more important anyway. also gameplay, a game rises and falls by its gameplay, unless it has something else going for it(like a good story or setting)

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
Full Metal Bolshevik said:
No sexism comments yet?

Bunch of dudes in military vests and a woman tied to a chair?
Seriously? You complain about sexism talk by injecting sexism into the discussion while completely misunderstanding what you're attacking... Next time you want to add to a discussion step back from the computer and ask yourself "am I an idiot for saying this?" or at least that's just my suggestion. The entire trailer was none sense, I couldn't decipher any message from it beyond "this is pretty and weird" to say nothing of sexism.

DoctorImpossible

Jan 18, 2013
Full Metal Bolshevik said:
No sexism comments yet?

Bunch of dudes in military vests and a woman tied to a chair?
Everyone's too blown away by the amazing pre-rendered graphics we'll never actually see in-game.

SacremPyrobolum

Dec 11, 2010
Looks like something inspired by Watch Dogs to me. A world where virtual technology has advanced to such omnipresence that by tapping into it you can change the very fabric of reality that you (probably that girl in the chair) control.

Or its a first person shooter and she's who your fighting against.

That would be disappointing.