Hitman Movie Sequel Adds Homeland Actor Rupert Friend

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Hitman Movie Sequel Adds Homeland Actor Rupert Friend

Homeland actor Rupert Friend will star as Agent 47 in the sequel to 2007's Hitman.

Hitman the movie wasn't the best adaptation of a videogame that the film world has ever produced. In fact, pretty much the only detail it got right was shaving Timothy Olyphant's head and drawing a bar code on the back of his neck. That said, while critics and fans hated it, it made <a href=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0465494/business?ref_=tt_dt_bus>$92 million dollars so it will be receiving a sequel.

Unfortunately for the film's production, it was set to star Paul Walker who tragically died <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130116-Car-Accident-Takes-the-Life-of-Actor-Paul-Walker>last month in a car accident. With Walker gone, it was looking as though the movie was doomed to fizzle out before shooting even began. That being the case, it's been announced that Homeland's Rupert Friend will be taking Walker's place as Agent 47, giving the budding series a chance to start filming next month and, again, ignore its source material

Granted, it's probably wrong to judge a film that we haven't seen and, more so, one that hasn't even been made yet. That said, it's just a little frustrating to see a concept that should have been easy (sneaky assassin kills people in creative ways) and have it ground down into something that just barely resembles its source on the most shallow surface level. Still, you never know, maybe the second film will correct its course and be the movie the first one wasn't.

Source: Variety

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
Timothy Olyphant might've made a decent 47 in about ten years time. Rupert Friend.... I'm not holding my breath xD

Jul 11, 2008
Pretty much the only way I can see this working is if they do a reboot and pretend the first film didn't happen.
Maybe try sticking a little closer to the source material for a change.
Also Timothy Olyphant (am I the only one who mentally calls him Timmy the Elephant btw?) looked more like an oversized angry baby than agent 47, who by virtue of stealing a whole bunch of footage from the TV series dark angel for his origin he probably wasn't...

Boba Frag

Dec 11, 2009
*strokes beard*
Hmmmmmm.

I have to admit that I felt very, very let down by the first Hitman movie, and I don't lay any blame on Oliphaunt's head, he was just too young for the role at the time. Still a great actor.

This new fellow might actually have a better look and the angular features for Mr. 47.
If he can pull of the scowl, that'll be a start.

Now they just have to not piss all over the script or fart all over the source material.

Simples!

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
StewShearer said:
Still, you never know, maybe the second film will correct its course and be the movie the first one wasn't.
Your optimism does you credit, but it could be made to serve the Emperor.

But seriously, I don't think Hollywood has any interest in making a faithful adaptation of any video game. At all, ever.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
rhizhim said:
why did they even think hitman was worth to be turned into a movie in the first place.
dont get me wrong, the games are quite nice, but the overall story has become dumber and dumber as each series moved on.

i only say cowboy sherrif that gets a boner when shot lethaly.
also giant lucador mutant.
You do have a point there. Hitman has never really felt at home in the no fun zone. It takes some creative thinking to faithfully adapt a series that has mostly occupied itself with its own lethal brand of arts and crafts.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Woah woah woah, it got at least one other detail right. It had Ave Maria in it =P

And actually, I didn't mind the film actually, even as a Hitman fan. It's not the worst video game film. Although admittedly that doesn't take much.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Andy Shandy said:
Woah woah woah, it got at least one other detail right. It had Ave Maria in it =P

And actually, I didn't mind the film actually, even as a Hitman fan. It's not the worst video game film. Although admittedly that doesn't take much.
I didn't mind the movie either. The only thing I didn't like is how they butchered 47's entire character just so they could throw in a cliched romance. The guy is a stone cold emotionless and pragmatic killer for whom professionalism and his own life are above anything else with no real attachments romantic or otherwise whatsoever and no desire to have them either, that's how they should have portrayed him.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
I liked the first film as a standalone movie, many of my female friends like it too...though that may be down to timothy tbh. For a videogame adaption, it surprised me and suddenly gave me hope for the future. Personally if i wanted it too much like the game, i may as well just watch someone play the damn thing!

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
Andy Shandy said:
I've not played it yet, but did Absolution have the Ave Maria in it? I've not seen it in any trailers or anything, so I'm a little disappointed and/or worried.

Regarding the movie...Hitman (the game) stands out for all the people you don't kill. Adapting that into an action-packed blockbuster never seemed to be the best idea. There was a katana fight. Why was there a katana fight?

Yeah, not going to go see the sequel.

Objectable

Oct 31, 2013
This guy is the perfect assasin. Look at his name! Nobody would expect a man with "Friend" in his name to try and kill them!