Quake Live Stands Alone

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Quake Live Stands Alone

Here's everything you ever wanted to know about Quake Live's transition to a standalone client, but were afraid to ask.

I have this vague recollection of Quake Live's big hook being a full-on multiplayer shooter - Quake 3 Arena - playable entirely in a browser, which was a pretty big thing in its day. But that day was five years ago and apparently priorities have changed, as the browser is out and a Quake Live standalone client is in.

Id revealed that the transition was coming back in November [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129465-Quake-Live-Ditches-Browser-For-Standalone-Release] 2013 and today announced that the magic has happened, and was also nice enough to post an FAQ covering the details for those who have questions. The short version is that you now must use the standalone client, third-party software is no longer compatible and Mac and Linux are out, although you might be able to make something work through emulation. The game will remain free-to-play with optional Premium and Pro monthly subscriptions and player profiles and stats will, or at least should, transition automatically.

But one question the FAQ doesn't cover is, does anyone care? I ask this sincerely; I have no idea what kind of numbers Quake Live puts up but I assume that whatever success it enjoyed had to be due at least in part to its browser-based convenience. Is Quake Live - which is effectively almost 15 years old - still sufficiently relevant to make a stand-alone client worthwhile to a meaningful number of players? I guess we'll find out!

Source: Bethesda Blog [http://www.bethblog.com/2014/01/10/a-new-way-to-quake/]

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
Meh, I tried QL once but got an inexplicable amount of lag so gave in. I still play Q3 from time to time though, tempted to give this another whirl if its running standalone now.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Andy, I have to admit that I'm right up there with you. They don't have to make a standalone client, just re-release Quake III Arena for free! All this busy work would be better off making Quake III work cross-platform instead of...well, as you said, doing something that was kind of the original intention 15 years ago.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
so its Quake 3 but free?

I think i have the disk somewere, havent played it in years.

But honestly, i think there a beter free FPS games out there.
Q3 was exelent back in it day, but QL now feel really dated.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
quake 3 with CPMA (challenge pro mode arena) mod was a blast, had to have cpma ready maps tho but alot of those maps were the bomb.

vanilla q3 tho was horrid after quake 2.

CPMA mod for q3 adds quake 2 physics to q3, so all the jumps and etc from 2 were doable in 3. <3.

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
Now, for me, the browser based nature of it was inconvenient, load up browser, load up the page, log in, i also remember some kind of queue but maybe that was because it was new at the time, i just don't feel right booting a game from a browser and having that browser idle in the background.
Give me a nice solid quick client any day.

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
rhizhim said:
Jeroenr said:
so its Quake 3 but free?

they added new modes and maps. its as fresh as it was before.
I am aware of that.
I did play Q-L once or twice.

In my opinion being browser based was what made it Quake Live.
Giving it a standalone client, how practical it may be, kinda makes it Quake 3 again.

The new maps and modes are more an upgrade to Quake 3 Team arena.

New maps and modes doesn't make a new game.
(someone please tell some of current developers this too.)

I have played a lot of Q3 when it was releast(and Q2 before that).
But now it does feel dated, at least more than UT99 does.

Scootinfroodie

Dec 23, 2013
I'd rather continue playing CPMA honestly. If PQL wasn't sub-based I might go check that out, but I'm not playing what is basically VQ3 just because it has lag comp.

I WOULD however totally buy into a proper new Quake instalment. I still have yet to experience the kind of movement and fast tactical thinking that CPMA offers anywhere outside of Quake, though a few games have made admirable attempts at remedying that. Even better if it's a glorious hybrid of Quake 1 and 3 in terms of singleplayer as well. Bring back the weird Lovecraftian fantasy setting!

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
Good, now I can check it out. I was never fond of browser based games ever.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
I'm confused. Quake Live was a browser version of Quake 3. So a stand-alone version of Quake Live is, in fact, Quake 3. Which already exists. This makes about as much sense as someone writing a novelisation of the Harry Potter films.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
...I'm of the crowd that remembers Quake 1 and 2 fondly, but Quake 3 as a flop... I suppose I'll give this a shot, and it'll probably be better than most schlock that comes out these days... but I don't expect much.

Where's our Unreal Tournament '99 online re-release?

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
loc978 said:
...I'm of the crowd that remembers Quake 1 and 2 fondly, but Quake 3 as a flop... I suppose I'll give this a shot, and it'll probably be better than most schlock that comes out these days... but I don't expect much.

Where's our Unreal Tournament '99 online re-release?
Its still Quake 3. I would much rather have Quake 2. Those days were the best for arena deathmatch IMO. I do fondly recall LAN parties with 64-player maps in rotation for our tournament and taking between 1st and 3rd. Between that and Counter Strike (the mod), those were the last games I played in active competition and was actually damn good at.
*sigh* Nostalgia

Jeroenr

Nov 20, 2013
rhizhim said:
Jeroenr said:
rhizhim said:
Jeroenr said:
so its Quake 3 but free?

they added new modes and maps. its as fresh as it was before.
I am aware of that.
I did play Q-L once or twice.

In my opinion being browser based was what made it Quake Live.
Giving it a standalone client, how practical it may be, kinda makes it Quake 3 again.

The new maps and modes are more an upgrade to Quake 3 Team arena.

New maps and modes doesn't make a new game.
(someone please tell some of current developers this too.)

I have played a lot of Q3 when it was releast(and Q2 before that).
But now it does feel dated, at least more than UT99 does.
i dont know.

i prefer the insane bullet and slugfest high velocity free for all gameplay over the modern coverbased or even arcade gameplay of newer titles.

its almost like ut99 only that ut99 has even more strategic weapons like the shock rifle.
damn, i need to install ut99 again.
Well if you want a insane slugfest UT99 is your game, the reaper gun alone is awesome.

Any way, i do agree with "i prefer the insane bullet and slugfest high velocity free for all gameplay".
I am less fond of the heald recovery and the chest high wall in todays shooters.

And i do miss the rocket jump to get the big heald boost in Q2DM1(best map ever).