Beyond: Two Souls Sells Over One Million Copies in 2013

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Beyond: Two Souls Sells Over One Million Copies in 2013

Quantic Dream confirms over one million copies of Beyond: Two Souls has been sold through to consumers last year.

Quantic Dream's latest game, Beyond: Two Souls, has already sold through over a million units, the studio has announced over on its official site [http://www.quanticdream.com/thanks-a-million/thanks-a-million.html]. By "sold through," it means sold to consumers and not just copies bought by retailers to replenish their stock. In the same update, Quantic Dream posted an image that highlights some of the words reviewers -- and fans -- have used in describing the action-adventure game.

That's not all, studio co-CEO Guillaume de Fondaumiere even went on Twitter to reveal [https://twitter.com/GdeFondaumiere/status/421700779171274752] that Beyond sold 70,088 units in France last year, which is better compared to how Heavy Rain fared in its first 12 weeks in the country.

While this might not seem like much compared to sales of Call of Duty or other established franchises, it's important to note that Beyond: Two Souls was only released on one platform and right at the cusp of the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One's release, which couldn't have helped.

For more on Beyond: Two Souls, take a look at the "Advanced Experiments" DLC [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129867-Beyond-Two-Souls-DLC-Trailer-Looks-Like-Portal], which might remind you of a certain game from Valve.

Source: PlayStation LifeStyle [http://www.quanticdream.com/thanks-a-million/thanks-a-million.html]

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I love how that image conveniently has the words 'innovative', 'beyond', and 'Cage' right next to one another.

Yeah right, Dave. XD

bigmitch256

Sep 26, 2013
I was very dissapointed with this game. Don't get me wrong it was enjoyable I just thought they could have done so much more with the story!

MrBrightside919

Oct 2, 2008
Oh god...why?

Beyond is probably the worst game/story that they've done. I love how the ending can completely contradict the "prologue". It's such a complete mess overall.

I guess people are a sucker for movie stars more than a good story...

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
Oh Christ's fist..."Hey, lets make a game that's one huge real-time event, involving the motion qualities of the controller and set it so if you don't twist your controller in an intricate pattern in the second we give you, YOU LOSE.

Clowndoe

Aug 6, 2012
Reed Spacer said:
Oh Christ's fist..."Hey, lets make a game that's one huge real-time event, involving the motion qualities of the controller and set it so if you don't twist your controller in an intricate pattern in the second we give you, YOU LOSE.
No, you don't lose, because "Gamer over screens are a failure of the game designer." Worst case you have to re-do the sequence, or the sequence just moves on with Ellen Page looking slightly worse. Which isn't to say it's not poorly done and combined with a nonsensical and engaging story.

Reed Spacer

That guy with the thing.
Jan 11, 2011
REAL. TIME. EVENTS. SUCK.

A GAME MADE UP OF THEM AND NOTHING ELSE SUCKS EVEN MORE.

OuendanCyrus

Jun 16, 2010
It sold over one million copies, I wonder how many people out of that number actually liked it though.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
The only positive thing I can see from this is that people were willing to embrace a new I.P. at the end of a console cycle, and one with a female protagonist at that. That is something worth celebrating. But perhaps not with this particular game. Cage's writing was so bad in some parts it was borderline offensive.

But the main thing is that gamers are ready and willing to try something new.

BrotherRool

Oct 31, 2008
OuendanCyrus said:
It sold over one million copies, I wonder how many people out of that number actually liked it though.
I'm wondering if a lot of those sales were from people who played and liked Heavy Rain.

I think Quantic Dream's next game is going to be a real test for them. They're coming off what lots consider a worst game than Heavy Rain and the people who liked Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy but thought there was a lot that went wrong, are probably going to run out of patience now.

It's so irritating for fans too. Heavy Rain had the interactions down so well even compared to stuff like The Walking Dead but David Cage just can't write. And he doesn't strike me as the sort of person who will step back and let someone else do the writing whilst he does the designing.

Compatriot Block

Jan 28, 2009
Normally I will defend bad games that try something new if only for the hope that more developers will take risks.

Anything David Cage is involved in is the exception. That man is poison to games, and he's a raging tool to boot. His depictions of women and minorities are offensive at best.

FinalDream

[Insert Witty Remark Here]
Apr 6, 2010
So it might not be the best game in the world but I enjoyed it immensely and I'm glad that a) it sold well and b) Sony supports a game like this. So it might not sell a bajillion copies but at least it's better than the latest copy and paste job, yearly instalment of gruff soldiers. Good on you David Cage and lets hope we get more games that do well with smaller budgets in this new generation that carry interesting and different ideas.

Triality

May 9, 2011
Umm, let's see...

Thank God for emotions!

[Emotions Intensify]

Umm... what else?

( ?_?) - Over a million direct-to-customer sales huh?

( ?_?)>⌐■-■ - You could say that this title...

(⌐■_■) - Soul'd well enough.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Okay I'll stop now.

Edit: No wait! I thought of more, I got it I got it!

A million suckers are born every minute.

A million victims? Does this make David Cage a war criminal now?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010

I must echo the sentiment of some commenters above me, I wonder how many of those sales actually liked this pretentious trainwreck.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Triality said:
Umm, let's see...

Thank God for emotions!

[Emotions Intensify]

Umm... what else?

( ?_?) - Over a million direct-to-customer sales huh?

( ?_?)>⌐■-■ - You could say that this title...

(⌐■_■) - Soul'd well enough.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Okay I'll stop now.

Edit: No wait! I thought of more, I got it I got it!

A million suckers are born every minute.

A million victims? Does this make David Cage a war criminal now?
You should have stopped at your Soul joke.

EDIT: Ohhh I got a joke.

You have something in common with David Cage. Why? You made a bad joke followed by even more terrible joke! Just like how David Cage does games!! :D

Get it?? Get it??

Azure23

Nov 5, 2012
All I got from Beyond is that if you kill yourself after being a selfish asshole responsible for the death of hundreds then you'll be reunited with your family while Ellen Paige cleans up after you.

Fuck you Cage, you goddamn hack.
That dedication at the end was disgusting, they're probably turning over in their graves.

joeman098

Jun 18, 2007
OuendanCyrus said:
I enjoyed it and I am glad it exists, we need things around to remind us that not all games just have to be about combat and shooting stabbing and slashing. I thought the story had its overly cage moments but overall I walked away enjoying the experience

mechalynx

Führer of the Sausage People
Mar 23, 2008
*grabs a tissue and waves it in celebratory manner*

Yaaaay. I love this game, finished it 4 times in 2 weeks and replayed several chapters. Good on Cage and Quantic Dreams. Even though I'm weary of things like these nowadays, their next title is an automatic pre-order :)