FIFA 14 Tops UK Charts for Fourth Straight Week

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
FIFA 14 Tops UK Charts for Fourth Straight Week

FIFA 14 retains top spot in the UK charts, and in an odd twist, Aliens: Colonial Marines cracks the top 10.

Even if we're in a new year, a few things haven't changed and that includes FIFA 14's domination in the UK charts. EA's soccer sim is once again the top game for the fourth straight week and it's seventh overall. Joining FIFA 14 in the top five are the usual suspects such as Call of Duty: Ghosts, Battlefield 4, Assassin's Creed IV and Grand Theft Auto V.

The top 10 games are listed below.

01 FIFA 14
02 Call of Duty: Ghosts
03 Battlefield 4
04 Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
05 Grand Theft Auto V
06 Lego Marvel Super Heroes
07 Need For Speed Rivals
08 Killzone Shadow Fall
09 Minecraft: Xbox 360 Edition
10 Aliens: Colonial Marines

For reference as to how the top five games did last month, Call of Duty: Ghosts' sales dropped 41%, while Battlefield 4 and Assassin's Creed IV plummeted 48% and 52% respectively. Interestingly enough, SEGA's new price point of £5 for Aliens: Colonial Marines seems to have paid off, as the controversial shooter [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/126383-Aliens-Colonial-Marines-Was-Passionless-Says-Michael-Biehn] managed to crack the top 10.

In case your curiosity has been piqued, here's The Escapist's review of Aliens: Colonial Marines where it mentions, "the game's most memorable trait is how often it manages to fall short of greatness." [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10187-Aliens-Colonial-Marines-Review-Game-Over-Man]

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/13/aliens-colonial-marines-surges-in-slumping-uk-charts/]

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008

Chavs really like their soccer so I guess it was kind of expected (that and the fact that PES14 is really bad so FIFA14 ends up being the only game available for whoever wants some soccer fix)

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
I'm assuming people are buying Colonial Marines just to see how bad it is right? Hell I'm tempted at that price, could be a good laugh with some mates.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
All people talk about in this country is football (let's use the correct term, at least when talking about a UK chart) ... Especially when it's world cup time! So it makes sense, people would buy it... Kind of like NFL games probably selling really well in more sports driven states.

Plus with it being a new generation of consoles, games selection is a bit thin.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Well I am not surprised seeing as many of them wait in line at midnight outside of ASDA for that special £5-10 deal.. I think that's how it works.

In all seriousness, around here it's either FIFA, COD or die. Meaning many people won't bother with you and look at you strangely if you play a different game that isn't sports or FPS. I went to buy Skyrim at GAME when it first came out and the guy at the counter who served me just said "You are the second person to buy this game today, everyone else is here for FIFA/COD which we are running out of". And if you play or buy any fantasy, RPG or racing game, some will just not want to know you.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
Shadow Fall in number 8? That is interesting (it being a next gen exclusive and all that)... I am assuming all the other games are counting the sales throughout all the available platforms.

balladbird

Master of Lancer
Legacy
Jan 25, 2012
Country
United States
hermes200 said:
Shadow Fall in number 8? That is interesting (it being a next gen exclusive and all that)... I am assuming all the other games are counting the sales throughout all the available platforms.
the UK was especially one-sided in purchasing PS4 over the One, so it makes sense that a PS4 exclusive would have a crack at the chart.

I admit, I haven't played a good football (using the correct term, since this is a thread about british sales) game since winning 11 back in the PS2 days. I don't trust the Fifa line since it's from the people who brought us madden... does Fifa get better updates from version to version? Or is it the usual roster update?

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
balladbird said:
hermes200 said:
the UK was especially one-sided in purchasing PS4 over the One, so it makes sense that a PS4 exclusive would have a crack at the chart.
I was mostly referring to the fact its a next gen console exclusive, so it has to outsell the sum of all the versions of multiplatform games. It was not about the "console war", just surprised that the next generation had such an adoption that a PS4 exclusive could outsold so many multiplatform/current generation games.
balladbird said:
I admit, I haven't played a good football (using the correct term, since this is a thread about british sales) game since winning 11 back in the PS2 days. I don't trust the Fifa line since it's from the people who brought us madden... does Fifa get better updates from version to version? Or is it the usual roster update?
Yes, the game feels different than previous games in the series, mostly because it relies in physics a lot more than the previous iterations or PES.

It still has the same critique about the roster on a year to year basis, but that only gets noticed if you follow the franchise. If you haven't touched it in several years, the incremental jumps would be pretty noticeable (especially because, at this point, its a lot better than PES).