Update: Ridley Scott Won't Produce Halo Movie

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Update: Ridley Scott Won't Produce Halo Movie

Or maybe Production Weekly just dropped the ball.

The Production Weekly Twitter feed exists to spread movie news far and wide, but this time out it might have gone too far. It started with an innocent Tweet about the Fantastic Four reboot, but soon segued into Halo territory. If Production Weekly is to be believed, Alien director Ridley Scott will produce a feature-length digital Halo movie. Prison Break's Paul Scheuring is the project's writer, according to Production Weekly.

All those Production Weekly Tweets have since been deleted, leaving everyone in the dark. However Production Weekly did SciFied article [https://twitter.com/prodweek/status/422417016700432384], based on its original Tweet, that discusses the Ridley Scott Halo movie, so it'd seem Production Weekly isn't disowning the idea altogether. Or maybe this is just the internet Ouroboros at work again.

It's always possible Production Weekly just had a brainstorm, and mixed up the Spielberg Halo project [http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/21/spielberg-halo-tv-series_n_3314810.html] we already know about with something altogether different. But that would be one hell of a storm, particularly since Spielberg's working on a TV series and Production Weekly talks about a movie length project.

In an odd note [http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0771228/news?ref_=nm_phs_nw] that may, or may not, have something to do with this saga, Paul Scheuring is working with Ridley Scott on a project called Klondike, for the Discovery Channel. Did Production Weekly get its wires crossed? That'd be a remarkable leap, from the wilderness of Alaska to the adventures of Master Chief.

Source: VG24/7 [http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/13/halo-movie-in-the-works-courtesy-of-ridley-scott-source-claims/]

Update: Yep, as suspected, this one's a dud.

"We plan to continue telling the Halo story through innovative channels, but there are no plans for a Halo motion picture at this time," says Microsoft.

Source: Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-14-microsoft-no-plans-for-a-halo-movie]

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Or maybe this is just the internet Ouroboros at work again.
More likely than not.

Still, would actually get me interested in a Halo film if Ridley Scott had something to do with it.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I am torn between my admiration for Ridley Scott and my aggressive indifference towards the notion of a Halo movie.

At least it would look glorious I suppose.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
He and the Chief would be a perfect fit, neither like to really say or explain much and prefer to let their actions speak for them.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Sorry everyone, don't go into hype mode, it said produce.
That basically means he's going to invest some money in it.
He may have some power over certain parts of the movie but it means bugger all.

Until we know who the writers, director and executive producer are, it's safe to hype around all we want.

As it stands, Scott as a producer doesn't mean much.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
A total waste of Ridley Scott's time and talent. I doubt he's actually involved, though. It's probably just the hype generator going out of control again.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
So, we can look forward to that giant fan in the Halo 2 Zanzibar map getting a good shot in the sunset? You know he loves back lit fans in his scifi movies. Seriously, though, I think he used all of his remaining scifi magic on Blade Runner. Hopefully, he doesn't get the writers for Prometheus on this one if he is involved. That movie could have been good, but they had to make all the characters stupid and completely oblivious to every danger and simple solution to a problem. That's the typical quality of video game movies and it would be nice if they made this Halo film a movie you could sit through without going WTF every few minutes.

Captcha: bots are bad m'kay
Yes, they are, Mr. Mackey

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
reiniat said:
Ridley Scott making Halo would be my wet dream, it would shut up everyone who still has the stupid idea that Halo is cliche and uninteresting (or people would just claim that its all Scott's craft, but MEH to them), and it would necessary need to be Scott's own take on the Halo universe and that would be much more interesting than a by-the-book movie about the Halo trilogy we all played and know already.
Of course, it is not going to happen, theres no way MS is giving the IP to someone that can possibly make a product that is not aimed to the brainless masses, so maybe hes just a producer:(. My MS actions predicting method states that they are stupid, and thus this is not gonna happen and i have serious doubts about the Spielberg produced series.
Sorry to bust your bubble, but like I said earlier, in a post just a few above yours, Scott is a producer.
That means he put some money into it. He paid to have his name on the credits.
He has little to no power over the movie.
He is not an executive producer either, just an investor.
His name being linked to this movie means practically nothing.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
antigodoflife said:
Oh cool, so that pretty much means Russel Crowe will be playing Master Chief then.
I'd find some giant wrestler to wear the suit, then have Steve Downes dub the voice. Russell Crowe would be hilarious, the only thing better would be Idris Elba as a Cockney Wideboy Chief, although I don't think the internet or Earth's atmosphere could survive the amount of rage it would generate.

bossfight1

Apr 23, 2009
If a movie struggles so much in getting made, maybe it should take the hint and give up, or at least give it a few years and start fresh. It's the same with games as well, *cough* GEARBOX *cough*.