Muppets Most Wanted Gets Zero Award Nominations

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Muppets Most Wanted Gets Zero Award Nominations

Muppets Most Wanted has been nominated for absolutely no awards, despite not being released yet.

The awards season is upon us and while the timing of Muppets Most Wanted will keep it out of consideration, that's not stopping it from taking advantage of the situation for its own purposes. I suppose it's possible that random people on Twitter are legitimately outraged that the film hasn't been nominated for more than 247 awards but I have a suspicion that it may be an inside job - the complaining Twitter accounts listed in the trailer all have a certain "new car smell" to them, and "Ben Feltman?" Come on.

That's not to say it won't be a fun flick. I haven't seen a Muppets movie in an awfully long time but the cast alone gives this one appeal: Ricky Gervais, Tom Hiddleston, Stanley Tucci, Salma Hayek, Christoph Waltz, Zach Galifiankis, Danny Trejo, Tina Fey, Ray Liotta, and the list goes on. I don't imagine we'll get to see Trejo and Liotta lay a beatdown on Scooter (or even hear Hiddleston call Gonzo a "mewling quim") but maybe they'll get Sean Combs to say "Wocka wocka!" Dare to dream, am I right?

Muppets Most Wanted hits theaters on March 21.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Why are there so many celebrity actors in this? Isn't a muppets movie supposed to be about . . . the muppets? I mean, the good muppet movies all had maybe one or two human actors orbiting them, but the majority of the rolls were played by the muppets themselves. Having so many names attached to it reeks of stunt casting, trying to use the big actors as the draw instead of the actual characters in the Title of the movie. To quote every Star Wars character ever, I have a bad feeling about this.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
the cast alone gives this one appeal: Ricky Gervais
Ricky Gervais? Appealing? *concerned look*

I was kind of interested in a new Muppets flick but I get the feeling it's just celebrity cameos interspersed with Muppets saying things about those celebrities, before other celebrities show up for their cameo.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
RJ Dalton said:
Why are there so many celebrity actors in this? Isn't a muppets movie supposed to be about . . . the muppets? I mean, the good muppet movies all had maybe one or two human actors orbiting them, but the majority of the rolls were played by the muppets themselves. Having so many names attached to it reeks of stunt casting, trying to use the big actors as the draw instead of the actual characters in the Title of the movie. To quote every Star Wars character ever, I have a bad feeling about this.
The Muppets were kinda built around celebrity cameos/guests due to the Muppet show and on the movies as well.
The first Muppet Movie (1979) had 15 cameos. The second (The Great Muppet Caper) had less (5), and the third (Muppets Take Manhattan) had 13. So yeah its nothing new for this to happen. I didn't include the later movies but as these are fair evidence against your point, here you go.

OT: Just a side note, Ricky Gervais was actually in the last movie but they cut his scene as well as some other guest appearances. Also the last movie was pretty damn good for what it was, and I happened to like Jason Segel's vision and it was pretty awesome. So yeah Mr. Chalk I would recommend watching that one too.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Heh, best trailer since Dead Island.

Ricky Gervais, though...bleh...looks like the trailer will be better than the film like Dead Island.

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
RJ Dalton said:
If you've ever seen any of the early Muppet films, you'll see that this is standard practice. The first film included Steve Martin, Bob Hope, Richard Pryor and Orson Wells in bit parts. Personally, I don't blame either the producers for having so many on, nor the actors themselves for wanting to be in a film with the Muppets.

Really liked the trailer though.

Andy Chalk said:
I haven't seen a Muppets movie in an awfully long time
The last one made (The Muppets) is definitely worth watching as a test to see if you still like them. Not a film that would make anyone who hates the Muppets start liking them, but great as an (re)introduction.

Edit: *shakes fist* DAMN YOU amaranth_dru!!!

Clankenbeard

Clerical Error
Mar 29, 2009
This advertisement is pure genius. I approve. Can we get Jermaine Clement an oscar this time around? No. Looks like all of the music is by Christophe Beck.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
Every time I see a Muppets related announcement, I hope it's for the revival of a Muppet Show, late night style, variety hour. That was good stuff (although some of it is dated and doesn't hold up now, as a lot has changed in society since the early 80's) - I could definitely see it working again. I liked the "behind the scenes" sub plots of Kermit being a stage manager and the comedy from things not going to plan and what not. The Mark Hamill and Paul Simon episodes are still great.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
vagabondwillsmile said:
Every time I see a Muppets related announcement, I hope it's for the revival of a Muppet Show, late night style, variety hour. That was good stuff (although some of it is dated and doesn't hold up now, as a lot has changed in society since the early 80's) - I could definitely see it working again. I liked the "behind the scenes" sub plots of Kermit being a stage manager and the comedy from things not going to plan and what not. The Mark Hamill and Paul Simon episodes are still great.
I liked the Alice Cooper episode as well. The Muppetized version of Welcome To My Nightmare was amazing.

RJ Dalton

Aug 13, 2009
Plinglebob said:
RJ Dalton said:
If you've ever seen any of the early Muppet films, you'll see that this is standard practice. The first film included Steve Martin, Bob Hope, Richard Pryor and Orson Wells in bit parts. Personally, I don't blame either the producers for having so many on, nor the actors themselves for wanting to be in a film with the Muppets.
o_O I do not recall that. It has apparently been too long since I've seen the original movies.

Aggieknight

Dec 6, 2009
I'm staring at my monitor in awe at the brilliance of that ad.

First "new" Muppet movie was awesome. As an adult male, I'm not ashamed to say that I can't wait of this one.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Well done. The Muppet brand of humor is alive and well I see. I still think the funniest bit I've seen so far involves the competition of the badge sizes though.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
RJ Dalton said:
Plinglebob said:
RJ Dalton said:
o_O I do not recall that. It has apparently been too long since I've seen the original movies.
Not to mention Mel Brooks, Milton Berle, Dom DeLuise, Elliot Gould, and Cloris Leachman. It's almost a Mel Brooks production.