Banished: The Medieval Sim That Lets You Build And Build And Build

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Banished: The Medieval Sim That Lets You Build And Build And Build

Due on Steam this February. I had an ant farm that looked a little like this gameplay video ...

Banished is one of those games that's going to appeal to a particular kind of gamer, probably the type that spends weeks at a time lost in something like Minecraft or the Anno series. If you're wondering who the Banished are, that's your rag-tag band of travelers, who have the clothes on their backs, a few wagons' worth of supplies, and a dream: that one day they'll have a town of their very own. Manage their lives, and they'll build. And build. And build. It's oddly relaxing to watch, as this hour-long gameplay video demonstrates.

No, you can't have an army, or a castle, or even a pointy stick. That's not what this game is about, but if you want ways to get your people killed, take your pick: disease, starvation, hypothermia, drought, accident, vermin infestation, and later on, fires and other natural disasters, if designer Luke Hodorowicz - who's been making this thing on his lonesome for the last three years - gets time to put them all in.

There aren't technological upgrades as such, but as your town gets more complex you can start handing out more complex jobs, like herbalist, miner and blacksmith. But be careful not to over-farm, over-fish or hunt the wildlife to extinction, because managing your environment is as important as managing your people.

"The only way you can really be done is to maximize everything," says Hodorowicz. "At some point you'll be out of land, so you can't build any more houses without cutting into your food production. At that point, the town is probably 'done.'"

Banished will debut on Steam February 18th, for about $20. There's a Wiki FAQ over here [http://banished-wiki.com/wiki/FAQ].

Source: PC Gamer [http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/01/13/chill-out-with-an-hour-of-zen-like-banished-gameplay-footage/]

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
It's a medieval SimCity with actual depth. That's all that anyone has to say about it.
It reminds me more of Caesar and Settlers, with the RTS-esque placement of all houses and gathering your own resources.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Been following this game since last spring. One of those "check the website/check Reddit three times a day" things. I've been enraptured by it since I first heard of it.

I get back from vacation the day it's released. Kind of sad... but at least it won't come out before I leave for my trip.

The main site is here [http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/], and the reddit page is here [http://www.reddit.com/r/Banished/].

The Reddit has an AMA you might want to read if you're interested in the development and style of the game.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Hmm, I've always wanted something like this. An RTS that lets me build without super militant opponents in a medieval landscape. But I'm not 100% sure this is what I want. It's close but I don't know if it's there yet. I'd love a stone-age ->Space Age version of this someday.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
If nothing else, the video got my interest. I'm not sure how much fun I'd have, but....It's something.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Damnit. On one hand, I want this so, so much. On the other, if I but it I won't be heard from again for the next two years. I had plans!

The World Famous

Mar 1, 2010
Lightknight said:
Hmm, I've always wanted something like this. An RTS that lets me build without super militant opponents in a medieval landscape. But I'm not 100% sure this is what I want. It's close but I don't know if it's there yet. I'd love a stone-age ->Space Age version of this someday.
Every time I try to play Civilization, I end up getting attacked. I, too, just want a game where I can build my town/city/nation/whatever in peace.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
I have been waiting for this beauty for so long

Can't wait to settle down and raise a farm :)

nuttshell

Aug 11, 2013
2014 looks better and better every day! So much goodness from the old days...this http://www.theguild2.com/index.php?lang=en&rid=1462 was like 8 years ago.
But the old days were buggy as hell. Let's hope Shining Rock Software does a good job.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
The World Famous said:
Lightknight said:
Every time I try to play Civilization, I end up getting attacked. I, too, just want a game where I can build my town/city/nation/whatever in peace.
I'm glad to know I'm not alone there. I wouldn't think that it'd be that difficult to include a peacemode in these games. Or solo play.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
Medieval building sim eh? That sounds interesting enough for a -

"No, you can't have an army, or a castle, or even a pointy stick. That's not what this game is about."

Oh well, never mind!

Eldritch Warlord

Jun 6, 2008
My first thought is that it's like Dwarf Fortress only with a UI and graphics. Of course it lacks the horrific violence and procedurally generated insanity but still Tarn Adams should take notes.

SwimmingRock

Nov 11, 2009
As somebody who legitimately loves making Excel sheets for games I play (comparing parts and optimizing builds is my favourite part of Armored Core), this seems perfect for me. I'll probably spend a couple weeks doing nothing else and then have that:"What the fuck am I doing with my time?" moment. Until that moment, however, I'll probably enjoy it immensely.