Marvel Considers Johnny Depp for Doctor Strange Role

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Marvel Considers Johnny Depp for Doctor Strange Role

Doctor Strange might become a part of Marvel's Cinematic Universe sometime after The Avengers: Age of Ultron.

In case you haven't noticed, superhero movies are the cinematic blockbusters of this decade, which means big name stars want to get in on the action. Within Marvel Studios alone, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/8425-Who-Was-That-in-Thor-2>Benicio Del Toro had a recent cameo in Thor: The Dark World, while <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131279-Michael-Douglas-Joins-Ant-Man-As-Hank-Pym>Michael Douglas will be playing as Hank Pym in Ant-Man. Undaunted, Marvel Studios is already planning for Phase 3 of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, where resident magician Doctor Strange might receive his own feature film. We know this because Johnny Depp himself is being considered for the role of Sorcerer Supreme, having entered into talks with Marvel for a possible 2016 release.

Doctor Strange first appeared in 1963 as Dr. Stephen Vincent Strange, a brilliant but egotistical neurosurgeon who shattered his hands in a car accident. With his career at risk, Strange travels the globe seeking a miracle cure, only to renounce medicine upon discovering an aptitude for the magical arts. If this Doctor Strange adaption closely follows the comics, it would be the first explicit presence of the supernatural in Marvel's Cinematic Universe (since the Thor movies are technically science-fiction).

Outside of looking the part, Marvel has other reasons to consider Depp for Doctor Strange. The actor has a good relationship with Marvel's parent company Disney, is known for playing eccentric characters, and as a comic fan, he's apparently itching to try his hand at a Marvel superhero. On the other hand, Depp is already signed on for <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105829-Disney-Returning-to-the-High-Seas-with-Pirates-5-and-6>Pirates of the Caribbean and Alice in Wonderland sequels, and may not be able to commit to Marvel's schedule. It's still too early to say, so until Marvel makes an official announcement, we'll just have to wait and see.

Source: Bleeding Cool

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
I don't like this idea...it's mostly because Strange always struck me as fairly 'straight'...he works with weird, twisted and unusual forces, but powers aside, he was always rather...non deppian, really. Probably oweing to his background as a surgeon.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Uratoh said:
I don't like this idea...it's mostly because Strange always struck me as fairly 'straight'...he works with weird, twisted and unusual forces, but powers aside, he was always rather...non deppian, really. Probably oweing to his background as a surgeon.
Johnny Depp can still pull if off. He's an incredible actor. He's mostly known for his weird roles but he can play a normal guy as well. Check out some of his earlier work.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
So the Sorceror Supreme will have a silly hat then? I seriously hope he isn't going to take the role.

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
I really hope they don't do this, I like depp but I just can't see him as Doctor Strange.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
Actually, I'm kinda interested in seeing Depp in the title role of Doctor Strange. After the mess of Lone Ranger, he needs something fresh to get him back on track. And, no, a Pirates of the Caribbean and/or an Alice in Wonderland sequel is not gonna cut it. But, if he's actually going to take this role, he needs to rely less on his eccentric shtick and rely more on his ability to play the role straight. He can work a little of it into the character of Stephen Strange (Vincent is his middle name) but he needs to remember that going overboard on that led to Jack Sparrow being overused and taking on a role he shouldn't have taken on regardless of what fraction of his DNA is Native American.

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
Adam Jensen said:
Johnny Depp can still pull if off. He's an incredible actor. He's mostly known for his weird roles but he can play a normal guy as well. Check out some of his earlier work.
Well if he can hold off the...depping...then he does certainly look the part. That might actually be a draw, 'come see Johnny Depp play a *STRAIGHT* role for once!'

rayen020

May 20, 2009
Depp could be alot of different superheroes, as asgardian or olympian, maybe even mister marvel or or one of the outer space characters (also fits a few xmen and spiderman characters but marvel/disney doesn't make those). But not Doctor Strange. Yes i know strange is in the name but the guy isn't all that kooky, it's just his name and powers. I'd want to see Depp in a straight role before making that decision.

By the way what happened to Patrick Dempsey playing Doctor Strange? I really liked that casting. Especially in the meta sense that he'd be coming off of Grey's Anatomy where he plays a talented neuro-surgeon. We could tie in Grey's Anatomy with the Marvels universe.

shiajun

Jun 12, 2008
I'm not feeling it. Maybe he could pull it off with his acting skills, the ones he's put in stasis for the better part of a decade, but I'm not confident. Dr. Strange is not kooky, or off-kilter, he's simply mystical and aloof. I wonder if Depp remembers what those words mean. So far the movies have been generally well cast (conflict prone Edward Norton aside) so I do trust the casting crew at Marvel to make the smart choice.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Sounds like a great idea, as long as the director reels in the "oh look at me, depp playing weird depp" character again.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
I hope they're not considering it. Depp's a decent actor, but I don't think he'll wrangle in his more eccentric tricks, despite whoever they have directing.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Adam Jensen said:
He CAN, but based on recent performances he's far more likely to go for absurd overacting with a stupid hat.

The World Famous

Mar 1, 2010
I like Johnny Depp, most of the time - more "Secret Window" and "Blow" than "Lone Ranger" and "Dark Shadows" - but for my money, Viggo Mortensen is Dr. Strange.
Nevertheless, if Johnny Depp does turn out to be Dr. Strange, than he's more than capable for the role. I have confidence in Marvel.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Adam Jensen said:
Uratoh said:
I actually agree with you that Depp is a great actor and can pull off the straight man roles. But I also have trouble seeing him as an iconic comic book character simply because he's so recognizable. He's one of those actors that just gets so much work that it's hard to see him on screen and not think "oh hey, it's Johnny Depp." I'm fine with that in roles where the character isn't already established, but it's hard to move on from with something like this.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Vivi22 said:
Adam Jensen said:
Uratoh said:
I actually agree with you that Depp is a great actor and can pull off the straight man roles. But I also have trouble seeing him as an iconic comic book character simply because he's so recognizable. He's one of those actors that just gets so much work that it's hard to see him on screen and not think "oh hey, it's Johnny Depp." I'm fine with that in roles where the character isn't already established, but it's hard to move on from with something like this.
I'm conflicted. I know Depp can play serious roles and he's actually a damn good actor. But, I kinda agree with you, too. Depp is just so recognizable. Sort of like how Arnold Schwarzenegger is always Arnold Schwarzenegger no matter what movie he is in.

That being said, so far Marvel has cast expertly and with nary a misstep. I've heard people doubt their casting in previous films, like Captain America, and then eat their words (Blockbuster Buster on TGWTG has admitted he was wrong for doubting Chris Evan as Cap).

I'm somewhat willing to consider this in the same venue as casting Robert Downey Jr as Tony Stark. Oh, we may all love the guy, now, but when he was originally cast, he was still considered a huge gamble. So maybe they will cast Deep as Dr Strange. And he might just blow it out of the water. I won't doubt him just yet. He may not even be cast.

Randomosity

Nov 19, 2009
I am interested in this, but not completely on board. Always thought Liam Neeson could make a good strange. Also thought Hugh Laurie would be fun for obvious reasons. Anyways, when Depp is good, he is really damn good. So here is hoping if he is picked that he manages to contain his wilder side and deliver a knock out performance.

Loonyyy

Jul 10, 2009
Please no. It's bad enough I have to see him in ads for upcoming movies, like that goddamn Lone Ranger which had ads plastered everywhere. I don't need to see more of him in pre-video ads.

thisbymaster

Sep 10, 2008
I think he can put the Strange into Doc Strange. He is sort of the straight man in a mad world but Johnny can do that as well.