Turn Your Old Nintendo Cartridges Into an 8-Bit Harmonica

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Turn Your Old Nintendo Cartridges Into an 8-Bit Harmonica

The harmonicas utilize the cartridge's existing sound chip, allowing you to replicate your favorite 8-bit tunes.

Got some old Nintendo cartridges lying around? Why not turn them into a totally sweet 8-bit harmonica? Tinkerers at Japanese website Ugoita, no doubt inspired by that time-honored act of blowing into a Nintendo cartridge to get it working, have done just that. What's even cooler is that because the harmonica uses the cartridge's existing sound chip, it produces the same 8-bit chiptunes from the original games!

In the video to the right, you can see members from the website playing together to re-create some memorable 8-bit hits.

It's worth noting that these modifications were performed on the Japanese Famicom cartridge, rather than the NES cartridges the rest of the world is familiar with. Famicom cartridges came in multiple colors (as opposed to the NES's usual gray), and were a little smaller than their international counterparts.

Nonetheless, if you've got a Famicom cart and a bit of technical know-how, be sure to check out the images below, and you might just be able to make your own 8-bit harmonica.

[gallery=2012]

Source: Rocket News 24 [http://www.ugoita.com/]

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
This is awful, who would do this to a game? I'd never cannibalise a cartridge of Pokemon Yellow for another use for example.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
Evil Smurf said:
This is awful, who would do this to a game? I'd never cannibalise a cartridge of Pokemon Yellow for another use for example.
Neither would I, and who knows? Maybe whatever game you were wrecking might actually be worth something now or in the near future.

JamesBr

Nov 4, 2010
This is pretty cool and ingenious. If they ever release a kit or pre-made ones, I'd definitely pick one up for the quirky factor.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
If only you could still play the game, at least when you have to blow into the cart to get it work you can have some fun at the same time.