Gundam Creator Tomino Teams With Hollywood's Legacy Effects

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Gundam Creator Tomino Teams With Hollywood's Legacy Effects

Next week we will know what Gundam creator Yoshiyuki Tomino has been up to with Hollywood's Legacy Effects.

Mobile Suit Gundam creator Yoshiyuki Tomino will announce his first film project on Jan. 21 in a press conference. Working with Hollywood special effects studio Legacy Effects, Tomino plans to make "movies based on Japanese manga and animation from Hollywood to the world."

Tomino pioneered the mecha franchise Gundam, directing the first in the series, Mobile Suit Gundam in 1979. More recently, Tomino has worked on Brain Powerd, Turn A Gundam, Overman King Gainer, and The Wings of Rean.

Many people are familiar with Legacy Effects' work without realizing it. Originally named Stan Wintson Studio after special effects supervisor Stan Wintson (Terminator, Jurassic Park, Aliens), Legacy Effects has more recently worked on Avatar, The Avengers, The Hunger Games, Iron Man 3, and Pacific Rim. Fans of both anime and Pacific Rim were quick to notice similarities between the movie and mecha anime series.

Meanwhile Tomino has been working on a much-anticipated anime, codenamed "G-Reko," with Bandai for Gundam's 35th anniversary. There's a lot to expect from the person who took the "Super Robot" mecha genre and transformed it into the "Real Robot" genre with overarching stories as opposed to the "monster of the week" structure.

While no one knows what movie Tomino has been working on, it's possible it's a live-action adaptation of an anime he was involved in. Hollywood is not known for diversity, but hopefully Tomino's goal of making Japanese media-inspired films for the world will go unhindered.

Source: Anime News Network [http://akiba-souken.com/article/anime/18868/]

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
That's pretty interesting... Tomino is a serious creative inspiration to me and I hope that this works out well, especially given how great a lot of his work is.

Especially since a full on hollywood produced Gundam Movie trilogy could be truly excellent in the right hands.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
With someone like him talking to Hollywood, we may get something worth looking at. That's IF he's the one in control.

Karadalis

Apr 26, 2011
PedroSteckecilo said:
That's pretty interesting... Tomino is a serious creative inspiration to me and I hope that this works out well, especially given how great a lot of his work is.

Especially since a full on hollywood produced Gundam Movie trilogy could be truly excellent in the right hands.
Only if it doesnt contain whiny little boy wonders that somehow are allowed to pilot millitary super weapons.

Stories like that might be all the rage in japan but last i checked gundam was critizised for that exact story here in the west over and over.

Crimsonmonkeywar

Oct 27, 2013
Karadalis said:
PedroSteckecilo said:

Only if it doesnt contain whiny little boy wonders that somehow are allowed to pilot millitary super weapons.

Stories like that might be all the rage in japan but last i checked gundam was critizised for that exact story here in the west over and over.
I'm not sure which one, but there was a Gundam series with a Spike type character(Cowboy Bebop) that I think would do very well in the west.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Please be a Gundam movie, please be a Gundam movie--not, wait. Scratch that. Please be a Gundam WAR Movie. Like those epic space battles in Gundam Wing, or the final battles in Gundam Seed. I would love to watch an hour and a half of robots with laser swords and plasma cannons blowing the ever loving crap out of each other.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
ColaWarVeteran said:
But how many will die at the hands of "Kill'em All" Tomino?
He got most of that out of his system with Victory Gundam (seriously, he kills SO MANY CHARACTERS in that, it gets damn silly), his most recent series's (Turn A Gundam, Brain Powered, Overman King Gainer, Wings of Rean) have very low body counts.

Heck his Zeta Gundam Movie Trilogy cut down the supreme tragicness of one of his bloodiest Gundam series's, so I doubt we'd get more death than the original Gundam Series.

ColaWarVeteran

Jul 27, 2010
PedroSteckecilo said:
ColaWarVeteran said:
But how many will die at the hands of "Kill'em All" Tomino?
He got most of that out of his system with Victory Gundam (seriously, he kills SO MANY CHARACTERS in that, it gets damn silly), his most recent series's (Turn A Gundam, Brain Powered, Overman King Gainer, Wings of Rean) have very low body counts.

Heck his Zeta Gundam Movie Trilogy cut down the supreme tragicness of one of his bloodiest Gundam series's, so I doubt we'd get more death than the original Gundam Series.
Yeah, I'm aware of that. Hell, I don't think anyone died in Gainer but it's been awhile since I've seen it. But you never know those old impulses might come back. Maybe he'll decide he's been too upbeat and needs to remind people why he got that nickname in the first place.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
You know, for a series that has giant robots fighting other giant robots with machine guns AND LIGHT SABERS, this series took a really long time to have a slight possibility of maybe getting a movie in the US hypothetically.

I mean, they're giant robots with guns and lightsabers. And I've seen them take on politics and war strategy pretty well too, at least for the first 10 episodes of the 00 series. How do you not market this to american audiences? Giant robots. Guns. Lightsabers. DONE.

Lord Rothschild

Sep 27, 2010
from the guy that killed all of your favoret charactures befor it was cool(looking at you game of thrones)to be maby making an mech movie...... I KNOW WHY I HAVE THIS BONER!!!!

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Karadalis said:
PedroSteckecilo said:

Actually, Bandai were the ones who forced the teenage protagonist in Gundam, which led to all that Newtype bullshit. Bandai, being a toy company as well, wanted to market the shit out of Gundam to model makers and toy collectors, and that market is dominated by male youth. So Amuro Ray was de-aged from the original draft to appeal to younger males. And since a 15 year old piloting a super robot is silly, Tomino needed to come up with the Newtype idea in order to compensate for Bandai messing with his original plan of a super hard science fiction series.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Soviet Heavy said:
Karadalis said:
PedroSteckecilo said:

Actually, Bandai were the ones who forced the teenage protagonist in Gundam, which led to all that Newtype bullshit. Bandai, being a toy company as well, wanted to market the shit out of Gundam to model makers and toy collectors, and that market is dominated by male youth. So Amuro Ray was de-aged from the original draft to appeal to younger males. And since a 15 year old piloting a super robot is silly, Tomino needed to come up with the Newtype idea in order to compensate for Bandai messing with his original plan of a super hard science fiction series.
At least you get to see him be a pretty boss adult in Chars Counter Attack... or die before the end of the original storyline in the Gundam Novelizations. Still I wonder how old he was originally supposed to be and how different the story might have been if he'd been an adult, the horror of what he experiences in the original Gundam Story may not have been quite as impacting.