Computer Script Is Really Good At Playing Mario

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Computer Script Is Really Good At Playing Mario

What do you do if you really want to sit down and play some Mario, but you just don't have the time - or the mad skillz? Apparently, you write an AI program to play the game for you.

It's sort of depressing to think that this Mario-playing bot is much better at the game than I ever could be. It's also really cool to see how it adapts on the fly, calculating all the possible trajectories and following one with (literally) inhuman reaction time and precision.

Created by AI programmer Mario AI Competition [http://www.doc.ic.ac.uk/~rb1006/projects:marioai] - so presumably, this means there are going to be even more Mario-playing bots around by the time all is said and done.

Theoretically, if you paired this program with an automatic Mario level generator, then wouldn't it go forever? It'd be like putting a Slinky on an escalator...

(Via Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/08/13/computer-script-plays-super-mario-world-by-itself/])

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
What happened at 0:45? I don't remember being able to wall jump in Super Mario World...

This reminds me of when that 11 minute Super Mario Brother 3 speedrun video came out. I actually managed to copy the way the entire first world was played, but never got past World 8.

**EDIT**
I just checked the description: At the "close call" situation: In this version of Mario, when you're jumping while sliding on a wall, you jump backwards and upwards away from it. That's what the AI did twice to get out of the hole.

In that case, I'm better than the computer. I don't need that to stay alive.

Bassman_2

Feb 9, 2009
My eyes are hurting with the unbelievable jumps that actually knocked those bullets down.

And with the red lines to.

MrPop

May 14, 2009
It would be awesome to have something like that for a screensaver...

An infinite Mario level being 'manned' by a bot.

Krakyn

Mar 3, 2009
Wow, that was amazing. Hopefully whoever wrote this can write some scripts for medical technology or something that actually benefits humanity. Just think about a surgery bot that could adapt on the fly. That would be brilliant.

Proteus214

Game Developer
Jul 31, 2009
hopeneverdies said:
So is this how that demo mode that Nintendo patented is going to work?
No, there is a Mario AI bot programming contest going on and this is one of the entries.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I have a problem with this. I think the AI can see ahead of the information displayed on the screen, which is something a human can't do. Maybe the argument could be made that a human could memorize a level. The AI was making jumps and landing in a way that does not at all resemble how a human would play.

I would like to see the AI "Play" the game and not just race to the end of the level.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
This is how it starts, and soon enough we'll have These [http://www.icanhasforce.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/star-wars-hk47-hai-meatbags.jpg] running around...

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
*insert Skynet joke here*

But seriously, I'm very impressed to learn that A.I. scripts have come this far. I never thought I'd see a game that can play itself- at least not this soon.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
The Robot Apocalypse has arrived!

On the classical music radio station I listen to, they were playing an AI that could compose a piece in the style of any composer you gave it (at least any major one). It wasn't great, but it was definitely okay. Now that was a little disturbing.

randommaster

Sep 10, 2008
Monshroud said:
I have a problem with this. I think the AI can see ahead of the information displayed on the screen, which is something a human can't do. Maybe the argument could be made that a human could memorize a level. The AI was making jumps and landing in a way that does not at all resemble how a human would play.

I would like to see the AI "Play" the game and not just race to the end of the level.
The bot wasn't looking ahead, it was just calculating the trajectory of the jump and making sure it did not hit anything or land in a hole. the overall concept is simple and could be applied to almost any Mario level with the same results. Also, your defenition of "play" is not the only one.

This was cool, but I like the perpetual mario [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ia1mb0srRA8] levels a bit more. A true test for this would be the Kaizo Mario hack. Let's see the AI finish that!

Evil the White

Apr 16, 2009
If I had those amazing mario skills, I could only imagine what other uses I could put them to...

Guitar Hero face-off? With sound.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
If this is what he would be like to be a cyborg, sign me up!

I just wanna see it solve 2 rubix cube and play guitar hero...And face it against that little kid!

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
Our obvious inferiority to machines is beginning to become quite embarassing. That video was ridiculous; I could never be that good at Mario. We can't ever let the computers become self-aware; not because they'd kill us all, but because we'd never live this sort of stuff down. They would mock us constantly for it.
ZeroMachine said:

Excuse me, I have to go find a slinky and an elevator...
Agreed. That sounds like ridiculous amounts of fun. Like watching a small dog try to eat a large piece of toffee.