GOG Adds Sid Meier's Covert Action

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
GOG Adds Sid Meier's Covert Action

Sid Meier's Covert Action is now available at GOG for $5.99.

When it comes to video games, a lot spy-centric titles often just use the premise of being a secret agent as an excuse to throw the player into shoot-shoot-bang-bang action that, generally speaking, has very little to do with what an actual spy might do. If you've ever been interested in a slightly more subtle spy-centric experience however, you may want to swing by GOG today.

I say this because the online storefront announced <a href=http://www.gog.com/news/release_sid_meiers_covert_action>this morning that it has added a new game of the covert kind to its digital library: <a href=http://www.gog.com/game/sid_meiers_covert_action>Sid Meier's Covert Action. Originally released back in 1990, Covert Action drops you into the shoes of a CIA agent and tasks you with hacking, bugging and sleuthing your way to the bottom of a nefarious randomized plot. Using a variety of skills, players will need to piece together clues and make arrests to take apart the ring of conspirators threatening world peace.

The GOG version of Covert Action can be purchased for $5.99 and, like all of GOG's products, will be DRM-free. In turn, if it's a title that interests you but you're not entirely sure whether or not to take it for a spin, swing back to The Escapist this Saturday where we'll be reviewing it in the latest edition of <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/tag/good+old+reviews>Good Old Reviews.

Source: <a href=http://www.gog.com/news/release_sid_meiers_covert_action>GOG

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
I'm going to buy this game, based on the name Sid Meier. It's a title that denotes a fantastic game.

I suppose the Russians are the bad guys?

leviticusd

Mar 19, 2009
Wow, I played this game a ton when I was a kid (if I am thinking the right one). Wiretaps, sneaking around safehouses cracking safes, taking photos and planting bugs and then blasting your way in to nab a bad guy in a firefight. I always sucked as tailing a suspect with the cars though. They always seemed to spot us way too easily.

If I remember right, the knock is that people felt it should have either been just a puzzle game, or a sneaking game or a shooter, but trying all three in one didn't work. I completely disagreed. I loved the different aspects. Never really felt there has been another game really like that to the same degree.

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
I just got it and I'm doing my best to take down notes, it's kinda fun to have to actually work instead of having the game just have waypoints and tell you everything itself.

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Diablo1099 said:
I just got it and I'm doing my best to take down notes, it's kinda fun to have to actually work instead of having the game just have waypoints and tell you everything itself.
Only issue is this: I have no idea how to save the game as when I do, all it does is tell me to insert the "Save Game" disk :/
You should be able to save your game from the hotel. If that's where you're getting this message try hitting "Enter" or just fiddling with the buttons a bit. Worked for me, any ways! :)

Diablo1099_v1legacy

Doom needs Yoghurt, Badly
Dec 12, 2009
StewShearer said:
Diablo1099 said:
Only issue is this: I have no idea how to save the game as when I do, all it does is tell me to insert the "Save Game" disk :/
You should be able to save your game from the hotel. If that's where you're getting this message try hitting "Enter" or just fiddling with the buttons a bit. Worked for me, any ways! :)
Yeah, just realized that worked, I was just worried to try in case I had to start over.
I had to take down a LOT of notes and I didn't feel like starting all over again ^^;

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
StewShearer said:
When it comes to video games, a lot spy-centric titles often just use the premise of being a secret agent as an excuse to throw the player into shoot-shoot-bang-bang action that, generally speaking, has very little to do with what an actual spy might do.
I don't think you need the "video games" qualifier. The sentence is still true if you replace "video games" with "movies" and only somewhat less accurate if you replace it with "books" or "television". You could probably just leave out the whole first phrase.

Sol_HSA

was gaming before you were born
Nov 25, 2008
Sid Meier has said that of all his games, covert action is the one he'd love to make a new version of. Unfortunately, it's "too complicated" for mainstream appeal.. personally, I loved it back when it was new, but then again, I also loved everything lookingglass put together.. =)

Thomas Shearlaw

May 9, 2010
Im just glad that i've not payed for this jem of a game. http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/139/Covert+Action.html , does require DOSbox, but it will save you money, and it's all legal.

Would love to see a review on Sword of the Samurai.