Dead Rising 3 Gets Massive 13GB Update

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Dead Rising 3 Gets Massive 13GB Update

This gargantuan patch is reportedly just one of four planned updates set to hit Dead Rising 3.

Those planning to slay some zombies in Capcom's Xbox One exclusive Dead Rising 3 might want to allocate some significant time to download its latest game update, as according to reports, the patch is at a whopping 13GB. This was first revealed by Xbox Studio Manager Mike Ybarra over on Twitter where he states [over on Twitter where he states], "Wow, a 13GB DR3 update? Holy...good thing I have 110mbps."

At the time of this writing, Capcom or Microsoft have yet to release the official patch notes for the update. But people on official Dead Rising 3 forums [http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1vnjdx/13gb_update_for_dead_rising_3_just_released/] are saying this is for the title's first expansion, and is only one of four planned updates for Dead Rising 3's Season Pass. Fortunately, gamers concerned that this might eat up a lot of space on their hard-disks will be glad to know that the 13GB patch supposedly does not add up to the overall game's size.

Now, for those who don't have the patience to wait for a 13GB patch to finish before stomping some zombie heads, you can choose not to connect the Xbox One to the internet and just play it as is. However, keep in mind you won't be able to connect to Xbox Live while playing DR3.

For those who've downloaded the update, let us know if you notice any in-game tweaks.

If you haven't given Dead Rising 3 a go yet, make sure to read The Escapist's review, where it's called "an exclusive title with a big open world and tons of zombies that demonstrates the power of the next gen console well." [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10757-Dead-Rising-3-Review-Good-Zombie-Slaughter]

Source: NeoGAF [over on Twitter where he states]

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Lord. if this is gonna be a thing, they really need a good alternative to this, for people who physically cannot download patches like that- like, take a flash drive to your closest retailer and get them to put it on that for you, or something.

StubbornGiant

Apr 30, 2011
sigh...
How big must a download be before it isn't really called a "patch" anymore. That's two games worth right there. Doesn't the XBONE also only have a 500 GB hard drive. How much space are you gonna have left after the updates just for games xD

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Neat, it's going to be really cool if anyone buys this a couple of years down the line, i hope the rest of the patches are significantly smaller :O. It would probably take me over 8 hours to download something like this... Wonder if this is something we are going to see more of, goodbye harddisk space^^.

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Alex Co said:
a whopping 13GB. This was first revealed by Xbox Studio Manager Mike Ybarra over on Twitter where he states [over on Twitter where he states], "Wow, a 13GB DR3 update? Holy...good thing I have 110mbps."
You'd think we would be surprised by the level of douchebagginess spewed forth by Microsoft execs, but there it is.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
StubbornGiant said:
How much space are you gonna have left after the updates just for games xD
IGN did an experiment on the Xbox One's hard drive size. They couldn't install every game currently out. It doesn't even get close to 500GB before filling.

OT: What did they do? Remake the whole game? I don't even think all my programming projects, including games, even come close to 13GB combined, and this is just a patch!

Isalan

Jun 9, 2008
The Sony TV is a nice touch :D

OT: I'm kinda used to this size of patch (or just entire games this size) as a PC Gamer, but its a pretty hefty download still. Dunno how they work out a 13GB patch isn't going to take up much space either.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
Creator002 said:
StubbornGiant said:
How much space are you gonna have left after the updates just for games xD
IGN did an experiment on the Xbox One's hard drive size. They couldn't install every game currently out. It doesn't even get close to 500GB before filling.

OT: What did they do? Remake the whole game? I don't even think all my programming projects, including games, even come close to 13GB combined, and this is just a patch!
From what I have read elsewhere, the game only takes up an additional 2-3 gigs after the download, so the real question is why did they need to overwrite 10-11 gigs of content. Since I haven't heard of a patch this big yet for the XB1, I really wonder what Capcom did wrong with their game design.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Capcom will just say "see? This is why locked-on-disc DLC was genius! Now you're making us put it as ACTUAL DLC and you cry about it!"

13GB is huge. It would be big for certain games, let alone a PATCH. This is a death sentence for anyone with a data cap or a less than stellar DL speed. Welcome to "next gen", I guess.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
So, basically, it would take me thirteen hours just to update the game before I could play it.

Genius! Because I know that when I plan my gaming habits, I plan for what I'll want to be doing half a day later. I'm glad there's a studio finally catering to my needs.

Admittedly my internet speed is terrible, but I don't even have a monthly data limit from what I know. And 13 GB is bigger than a good deal of the full games I currently have installed on my PC. Welcome to the future, indeed.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
Goddamn, at 13 Gb, I hope it's an expansion, because if the base game has that many problems needing to be ironed out, that's a rather damning claim, and a poor showing for next-gen.

FYI I Am Some Guy

Aug 24, 2010
I guess that they made all of the games content be sorted in a bunch of really huge files. I know DR2 was like that. So any time they need to update any little thing, they need to send a new version of the entire file that they changed.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
You know what will be absolutely hilarious (At least for those of us who enjoy watching train wrecks)? When that insane download ends up only changing things if you buy a $15+ piece of DLC.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
I got an Xbox 360 back in 2006 with the 20gb Hard drive, and while the limited space has been a pain in the ass recently ive never needed to upgrade it (im only doing so becuase i needed to replace my xbox anyway), so going from 20gb is enough to a patch requires 13gb is a joke.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Chaosritter said:
There's no DSL in my area, I'm forced to use a UMTS modem with a traffic limit of 5 GB a month.

And boy, am I glad I didn't buy a XBONE...
Keep in mind this is very likely to be the future no matter what console/computer you own. It might hit the Xbone first, but big updates are likely to be TEH FEWCHUR!

joshuaayt said:
Lord. if this is gonna be a thing, they really need a good alternative to this, for people who physically cannot download patches like that- like, take a flash drive to your closest retailer and get them to put it on that for you, or something.
No way would console manufacturers allow that sort of easy updating on their lockboxes.

Not nowadays, that is.

StubbornGiant said:
sigh...
How big must a download be before it isn't really called a "patch" anymore. That's two games worth right there. Doesn't the XBONE also only have a 500 GB hard drive. How much space are you gonna have left after the updates just for games xD
Aren't most games in the 40 GB range on the Xbone? So isn't it closer to a third of a game?

misg

Apr 13, 2013
I can't say I'm overly surprised at the size of this update, I'd guess is they have optimized a ton of their code they didn't have time to finish before launch. Hench the massive rewrite of the game, moving to x86 architectural means rewriting code had has been in use since the Atari days. I'd guess had a bunch of these changes in the pipe and couldn't be implemented before the the discs had to be printed.

I hate to say this but expect this to be the norm for games now, with the majority having access to high speed internet, developers like releasing post launch updates and patches. The vast majority of PC games are download only now. Some you can buy a physical copy but I think this will become less and less. I get this is a issue for many people, my family has limited internet at home as well. If my younger brother wanted to download a game or MMO for his PC he's get a usb stick from me and take it up.

I do agree that they should start having these updates being able to be downloaded onto a usb stick for those unable to download at home. Even though high speed internet is the norm they should still do their best to help the potion of the gamers who don't have access.