Final Fantasy VI Mobile Remake Unbeatable Thanks to Bug

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Final Fantasy VI Mobile Remake Unbeatable Thanks to Bug

Gamers have found themselves unable to proceed past a certain story scene in Final Fantasy VI thanks to a game freezing bug.

Final Fantasy VI was recently remade and re-released on Android platforms and, while the further proliferation of one of the great RPG classics is an undeniably great thing, questionable visual choices and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131381-Final-Fantasy-VI-Mobile-Releases-Adds-Typos>unfortunate spelling errors have left some fans frothing. Potentially adding insult to arguable injury, it's now been revealed that the current Android build of the game is actually unbeatable.

The game's impossible nature was reported by gamers <a href=http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=754361>on NeoGAF and is apparently a result of a late-in-the-game bug that freezes the game smack dab in the middle of one of its more poignant story scenes. We won't give anything away in case you haven't played this twenty year old game yet, but suffice it to say the Android version would not make General Leo happy.

This being said, Square Enix has apparently already caught on to the reported problems and has promised a reparative patch on the game's <a href=https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.square_enix.android_googleplay.FFVI>Google Play page. Nonetheless, we can only imagine that this newest incident will only help to fan the flames for fans convinced that the company didn't give the Final Fantasy VI remake the time and effort it deserves. Whatever your feelings on the matter we hope that the promised fix arrives sooner rather than later so those gamers who paid $15.99 for the game will actually be able to beat it.

Source: <a href=http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=754361>NeoGAF

digital warrior

Oct 17, 2008
Square you even fail at porting a 20 year old GOOD Final Fantasy game. Just stop, not just your mobile crap just stop in general.

Glaice

Mar 18, 2013
Good job ruining one of the best FF games out there! Square Enix knows better than screwing something as popular as FF VI.

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
i find it funny that i own every port of this game (except the newest one on iOS and Android), and i have yet to progress further than meeting up with the first esper.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
Man, this is bad. But still, imagine if they pulled this shit with FF VII. There would be riots in the streets. They better have their doctor perform a Cranio-Rectotomy before even attempting such shenanigans.

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
... Ugh.

Square, get your act together. You've been in freefall for a long time. You've STARTED to slow the descent, but MOBILE ISN'T HELPING.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Keiichi Morisato said:
i find it funny that i own every port of this game (except the newest one on iOS and Android), and i have yet to progress further than meeting up with the first esper.
You really should finish it. It's one of my favorites and considered one of the better ones.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
Huh. I guess the game's so long, even the port team couldn't actually test it all before launch.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Almost just as bad, they managed to ruin the artstyle, it looks a lot worse than the original now :/.

Yagami_Kira

May 18, 2012
MrBaskerville said:
Almost just as bad, they managed to ruin the artstyle, it looks a lot worse than the original now :/.
The new art looks a lot closer to the original Amano character designs. Don't let nostalgia cloud your judgment, the new art fits the aesthetic well.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
Yagami_Kira said:
MrBaskerville said:
The new art looks a lot closer to the original Amano character designs. Don't let nostalgia cloud your judgment, the new art fits the aesthetic well.
The idea is nice, i just think it looks too clean and the characters don't really fit with the backgrounds because of it. If they could capture Amanos drawing style and make it so every aspect of the design reflects it, it would look amazing, but i don't feel they managed to do this. They need to redraw everything if it's going to work properly.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
So Squeenix can't make a good Final Fantasy game anymore, even if it is a port of a 20 year-old fan favourite? Maybe this is why they aren't doing a FFVII remake (or a IX remake which would be better) because they know they'd cock it up and rabid fanboys would finally realise that all hope is lost.

Yagami_Kira

May 18, 2012
CriticalMiss said:
So Squeenix can't make a good Final Fantasy game anymore, even if it is a port of a 20 year-old fan favourite? Maybe this is why they aren't doing a FFVII remake (or a IX remake which would be better) because they know they'd cock it up and rabid fanboys would finally realise that all hope is lost.
Squeenix didn't make this port. Matrix did.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Yagami_Kira said:
CriticalMiss said:
Surely they still checked the final product even if development was outsourced? And since Final Fantasy is their big franchise I would have expected Squeenix to have given it more than a quick once-over.

Yagami_Kira

May 18, 2012
CriticalMiss said:
Yagami_Kira said:
CriticalMiss said:
Surely they still checked the final product even if development was outsourced? And since Final Fantasy is their big franchise I would have expected Squeenix to have given it more than a quick once-over.
Matrix has built up a lot of goodwill over the last few years with their ports. The fact that this bug slipped through is unusual to say the least. And Squeenix cant afford to give anything more than a once-over, they're hemorrhaging money while they keep putting that horse costume on FemCloud.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Yagami_Kira said:
MrBaskerville said:
Maybe in terms of character portraits, but the sprite work is almost ALL wrong.

They changed the perspective so it's much more 2-dimensional with less depth, the arms are no longer naturally bent forward and are more rigid (the whole posture is more flat and rigid), the colors are washed out, Locke's got his chest/gut thrust WAY out there like he's Rob Liefeld's Captain America...

Besides looking straight out of RPG-maker, it's atrocious sprite work for what was once one of the most effective sprite-based games of all time. I'd rather stick with the original version, outdated sprites and all, over the "improvements".

Yagami_Kira

May 18, 2012
Trishbot said:
Yagami_Kira said:
MrBaskerville said:

They changed the perspective so it's much more 2-dimensional with less depth, the arms are no longer naturally bent forward and are more rigid (the whole posture is more flat and rigid), the colors are washed out, Locke's got his chest/gut thrust WAY out there like he's Rob Liefeld's Captain America...

Besides looking straight out of RPG-maker, it's atrocious sprite work for what was once one of the most effective sprite-based games of all time. I'd rather stick with the original version, outdated sprites and all, over the "improvements".
I disagree that its atrocious though I can see your points. But I believe that Matrix isn't ALLOWED to use the original sprites. Each of their ports has had to completely remake the spites. I don't know if its choice or contractual obligation, but I don't see why they'd remake the sprites unless they had to.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Why can't they just release old game roms officially, let people mod and upload them and have Nintendo make a SNES emulator for iOS/ Android? I know there's licensing issues in a lot of things, but maybe people should be far less petty. (I just answered my own question) The fact that regular Joes online could translate, patch and expand games and these guys can't even play test or spell a series wide term correct in the first scene while getting paid is just stupid. The new look of characters made out of stale dyed candy corn would have been bad enough even if this was the technically definitive version of FFVI. I'd rather pay $30 to play a new version of FF6 where my team is composed of Terra, Mario, Chrono, and Sonic fighting Super Metroid's Mother Brain, than give Square money for another FF with a new coat of paint again. This is Square reaching a new low letting this be made and charging twice the virtual console price.

FFX, FFXI, and FFXII's departure from the functional mechanics of the previous games warned me there was a problem, though it was hard to see at first since they were still solid games(FF11's MMO aspect and FF12's gambit/single player MMO mechanic notwithstanding) . Constantly re-re-releasing FF1-FF6 made me think Square is running out of ideas for Final Fantasy and is padding their wallets before they went bust. FF13 showed me what can be done when the different teams have their own grand visions and try too hard to reinvent FF, a pretty but boring, delayed mess that I waited until it was less than $10 to buy and still felt cheated when I couldn't even get to the 2 hour mark of the hallway. FFXIII-2 and 3 display that they're still somehow making money off that snoozefest. FFXIV is a joke that might recover but I don't care since MMO's aren't my cup of tea and it's obviously not Square's either. This shows me Square doesn't care about it's products anymore and I might not even want to see if FFXV is that game we should have got after 9 came out nearly 15 years ago.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Yagami_Kira said:
Trishbot said:
Yagami_Kira said:
MrBaskerville said:
I disagree that its atrocious though I can see your points. But I believe that Matrix isn't ALLOWED to use the original sprites. Each of their ports has had to completely remake the spites. I don't know if its choice or contractual obligation, but I don't see why they'd remake the sprites unless they had to.
It's been bugging me since I've seen this, but I think I've figured out what it is. The character sprites are very clean and pastel, but the problem is they seem to have lost much of the little details that the original more pixilated versions tried to fit in, that you're imagination could fill out.

I don't know exactly where this picture is from, I think it may be a promotional image for the mobile game, but they look much better here:

You have the same sort of aesthetics they attempted here, but you can see the details that make you envision the artwork that inspired the characters. Why couldn't they look more like that in the game?

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
Weird coincidence. I've actually been playing the GBA version on my android device using an emulator, with no problems.