Quentin Tarantino Halts The Hateful Eight Over Script Leak

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Quentin Tarantino Halts The Hateful Eight Over Script Leak

Quentin Tarantino's The Hateful Eight will probably become a novel before it hits the big screen thanks to a recent script leak.

Quentin Tarantino started his Hollywood career with hits like Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction, but these days he's getting more attention for his historical films. <a href=https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/887-Inglourious-Basterds>Inglorious Basterds and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/6635-Django-Unchained>Django Unchained both received high critical praise, and fans were excited to learn that he would continue the trend with a traditional Western called The Hateful Eight. That's to say, he would have continued the trend, if the project wasn't shelved thanks to a recently leaked script.

"I finished a script, a first draft, and I didn't mean to shoot it until next winter, a year from now," Tarantino told Deadline. "I gave it to six people, and apparently it's gotten out today." Sometime after distributing the draft, Tarantino's agent began receiving calls from other agents, each one pitching clients for roles and naming details that could only have come from the script itself. Tarantino, who hoped to keep details under wraps, was furious.

"I gave it to one of the producers on Django Unchained, Reggie Hudlin, and he let an agent come to his house and read it," Tarantino continued. "That's a betrayal, but not crippling because the agent didn't end up with the script. There is an ugly maliciousness to the rest of it. I gave it to three actors: Michael Madsen, Bruce Dern, Tim Roth. The one I know didn't do this is Tim Roth. One of the others let their agent read it, and that agent has now passed it on to everyone in Hollywood. I don't know how these fucking agents work, but I'm not making this next ... I give it out to six people, and if I can't trust them to that degree, then I have no desire to make it."

In fairness, Tarantino isn't shelving The Hateful Eight because of the leak itself; drafts of Inglorious Basterds were available long before release as well. Tarantino is mostly feeling betrayed by colleagues he's worked with closely for past films, which has soured him for the entire project. So far, nobody has stepped forward to claim responsibility for the leak, and proving who did will be difficult since the script had no identifying watermark.

In the meantime, Tarantino has noted that The Hateful Eight may still be completed one day, but it is no longer his priority project. Instead, he is considering having it published as a novel, with the option of adapting to film at a later date.

Source: Bleeding Cool

Nov 28, 2007
Honestly, I sometimes think that Tarantino is too much of a blowhard, and has an issue with PR due to interviewing like David Jaffe or CliffyB, but here, I am completely on his side, assuming he made sure that the people he gave copies of the script knew that it was for their eyes only.

Tarantino should have put a watermark on the script, but it's still a bit of a dick move to break a trust for the sake of publicity like that.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Well, sucks for him but for somebody who likes his movies but hates westerns (like me), this is very good news.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I am not really a fan of his, apparently he does these little nods to classic movies or movie techniques but I don't see any of that.

I like films based on how much they entertain me, his films just don't really entertain me.

That being said, the more people you share something with the more likely it is to be misused ... give it to as few people as possible and this wont happen.

To me this comes across as pompous and bratty, "somebody released my script, so I'm taking my ball home and doing something else!" ... man up and get on with it, drama queen.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Well his script wouldnt be all that surprising. Just lots of "******" and "mother fucker," rambling speeches about movie plus plenty of violence. The End. Amazing director but i think he isnt that great at dialogue - in every movie one character has to go on about movies, and i just roll my eyes. Anyway, im guessing his next movie will be a horror movie - he always said he wanted to make one. So maybe he will do that now.

Nov 28, 2007
omega 616 said:
That being said, the more people you share something with the more likely it is to be misused ... give it to as few people as possible and this wont happen.
I dunno, I'd say showing it to a total of 6 people is keeping it fairly well under wraps, especially when you've worked with all those people before, and think you can trust them.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
I can totally understand where he's coming from. I sure as heck wouldn't want to work with people who showed they couldn't be trusted.

P.S. Thanks

Smiley Face

Jan 17, 2012
I do respect his choice here on a lot of levels, and by deciding to release it in another form, he's going further than most would in letting us think about how it might have gone. One little thing that nags me, though, is that as much as I enjoy Tarantino's stuff, it's a little predictable. There'll be some fights/executions at the beginning, then putting together and going through with a big plan that manages to go wrong somewhere along the line, there'll be some moments of tension inside drawn-out conversations, and it'll all end in an enormous bloodbath. The specifics of how it goes down is what's interesting, the execution, and we won't really know much of that until it gets filmed.

But hey, if it's put him off the project, then it's best for everyone involved that he move on.

Ne1butme

Nov 16, 2009
He totally Streisand'd this. I usually don't care when scripts leak, but considering the hissy fit he threw, i might just have to check it out. Hell, i doubt i would have ever heard about it until he said something.

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
i am in full agreement that leaking the script was a real dick move. and tarrantino is welcome to react this way I can't blame him. but it is unfortunate that the rest of us are going to be punished for this by not getting the movie. I respect his decision but it still bums me out all the same.

Flames66

Aug 22, 2009
omega 616 said:
To me this comes across as pompous and bratty, "somebody released my script, so I'm taking my ball home and doing something else!" ... man up and get on with it, drama queen.
I would be pretty pissed of if people I thought I could trust betrayed me in the manner. In fact I would probably sever all contact with them.

Covarr said:
I can totally understand where he's coming from. I sure as heck wouldn't want to work with people who showed they couldn't be trusted.
I agree. Trust is the basis of friendship. If I can't trust someone I won't work with them.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
Nimcha said:
Well, sucks for him but for somebody who likes his movies but hates westerns (like me), this is very good news.
Then you should be sad, this would've been the first western you would've liked :(

I don't like this, I saw a few days ago this about him starting to film a new movie, got excited, and now this is released :,(

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Flames66 said:
omega 616 said:
I would be pretty pissed of if people I thought I could trust betrayed me in the manner. In fact I would probably sever all contact with them.

Covarr said:
I agree. Trust is the basis of friendship. If I can't trust someone I won't work with them.
Call me cynical or whatever but, if you trust somebody totally I think you're a bit of a fool.

If husbands and wives are cheating, doctors are killing patients and police abusing powers they have, then why would I trust people I've worked with before, even if I would call them friends?

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Smiley Face said:
I do respect his choice here on a lot of levels, and by deciding to release it in another form, he's going further than most would in letting us think about how it might have gone. One little thing that nags me, though, is that as much as I enjoy Tarantino's stuff, it's a little predictable. There'll be some fights/executions at the beginning, then putting together and going through with a big plan that manages to go wrong somewhere along the line, there'll be some moments of tension inside drawn-out conversations, and it'll all end in an enormous bloodbath. The specifics of how it goes down is what's interesting, the execution, and we won't really know much of that until it gets filmed.

But hey, if it's put him off the project, then it's best for everyone involved that he move on.
Don't forget Tarantino's cameo will end up getting killed. I mean I can't even think of a Tarantino movie where he doesn't get killed in.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
tehroc said:
Smiley Face said:

Don't forget Tarantino's cameo will end up getting killed. I mean I can't even think of a Tarantino movie where he doesn't get killed in.
Pulp Fiction.

There, your life is complete.

OT: I respect his view, especially if he was distributing the copy to people he thought he could trust and subsequently got shat on. I'm glad Tim Roth wasn't the culprit, I love the guy (still mad that Lie to Me* was cancelled, brilliant series). Putting money on Madsen might be a safe bet. But either way it was very uncool to drop his script to agents.