"Wonder Woman" Actress Inks Three-Picture Deal with Warner Bros.

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
"Wonder Woman" Actress Inks Three-Picture Deal with Warner Bros.

Gal Gadot has signed a three-picture deal with WB that will have her star in her own Wonder Woman flick.

In December last year, it was revealed that Fast and Furious Israeli actress Gal Gadot will play Wonder Woman [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/130239-Wonder-Woman-Is-Israels-Gal-Gadot] in the upcoming Man of Steel sequel tentatively titled Batman vs. Superman. Well, regardless if you think the actress is a good fit to be the Amazonian princess or not, you'd better get used to it fast, as the actress has signed a three-picture deal with Warner Bros. to play as the iconic heroine.

According to a report by Variety, Gadot's three-picture deal will have the actress portray Princess Diana of Themyscira in a Justice League movie, a standalone Wonder Woman film and, of course, in Batman vs. Superman. Also of note, Israeli entertainment show "Good Evening with Gai Pines" revealed that Gadot will earn $300,000 per film.

Want more Wonder Woman reading? Go give The Escapist's Warner Bros. pushed its release date from July 2015 to May 2016, [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/10796-What-We-Dont-Know-About-Wonder-Woman-in-Batman-vs-Superman] which will pit it against a as-of-yet untitled Marvel film.

Are you on-board Warner's decision with Gadot as Wonder Woman and Affleck as Batman? Who else do you see the studio snapping up to play the rest of the Justice League members?

Source: Variety [http://variety.com/2014/film/news/wonder-woman-gal-gadot-signs-three-picture-deal-with-warner-bros-1201067961/]

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
I'm concerned this movie will try and appeal to "women" rather than attempting to follow the traditional "comic book movie" thing we have going on.

I fear in their attempts to make this a "comic movie for chicks" they will create a comic movie that doesn't box office very well and in turn result in another reason for Hollywood to not touch female superheroes.

I may be wrong... but they've got a strange beast to work with. Is she a demi-god, does she have an invisible jet, can she fly naturally, does she swing a sword around, does she actually kill people, what about her romantic options, is the outfit going to be "too much", is she going to be a warrior or is she going to be a princess pretending at being a warrior?

kurupt87

Fuhuhzucking hellcocks I'm good
Mar 17, 2010
I really think she is gonna tank up hard for this role, her being Israeli only makes me think this more likely. Whilst physically strong women are by no means the norm, they are more common than in other Western(ish) countries.

1st non-bold paragraph; I would've gone "regardless of whether" rather than "regardless if", seems to flow better.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 23, 2013
Good for WB for giving Wonder Woman her own movie. That's pretty cool. Now it's just a matter of if the DC movie-verse will be any kind of coherent or good, and if she can pull off playing Wonder Woman.

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
Hopefully she'll start lifting weights and bulk up before filming. Wonder Woman is supposed to be just as buff as Batman or Superman.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
They could've gone with Gina Carano (looks the part, actual fighting experience, does her own stunts, has experience, dated Superman himself already). This is a supermodel with very little experience, and nothing impressive. To me, this makes as much sense as that supermodel cast in the Transformers 3 movie.

I would love to be wrong, but... Warner Bros. is really putting the cart before the horse here. The last Superman movie may have made some money, but it sharply divided its viewers, which can often spell doom for a followup (see Matrix Reloaded, Terminator 3, Exorcist 2, and other movies that derailed their franchise).

What if the follow-up just plain sucks on a Batman & Robin level? (even Batman & Robin made a profit.... *gag*) What if all these lead-ins just collapses under the weight of a rushed movie too concerned with chasing after Marvel's success, with so little regard to who they cast, what the source material established, or how it works on a basic storytelling level?

Because Man of Steel was a supreme mess of a movie. Good looking, sure, but nothing about it made me excited to see a bigger DC universe like Marvel's movies did. I don't think an anorexic Wonder Woman or a scowly Ben Affleck will change my mind.

vid87

May 17, 2010
Abomination said:
I'm concerned this movie will try and appeal to "women" rather than attempting to follow the traditional "comic book movie" thing we have going on.

I fear in their attempts to make this a "comic movie for chicks" they will create a comic movie that doesn't box office very well and in turn result in another reason for Hollywood to not touch female superheroes.

I may be wrong... but they've got a strange beast to work with. Is she a demi-god, does she have an invisible jet, can she fly naturally, does she swing a sword around, does she actually kill people, what about her romantic options, is the outfit going to be "too much", is she going to be a warrior or is she going to be a princess pretending at being a warrior?
I'm just hoping they've learned something from the iconic disaster of the TV pilot, which made her both an overly emotional, whiny teen in an adult's body and a psychotic murderer who would make Nolan's Batman cringe.

Also, $300,000 makes sense...for the "cameo." Paying her chump-change for the lead in one of the cornerstones of a multi-picture franchise is criminal.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Abomination said:

There's nothing wrong with a comic book movie targeted at a female audience provided that it is actually done in a manner that real actual human women will find interesting as opposed to designed to appeal to the stereotypical Comic Book Guy's version of what a woman is. There are a ridiculous number of superheros and it would be interesting to see a Superhero movie that was both done well and targeted at a different demographic.

Yagami_Kira

May 18, 2012
vid87 said:
Abomination said:

I'm just hoping they've learned something from the iconic disaster of the TV pilot, which made her both an overly emotional, whiny teen in an adult's body and a psychotic murderer who would make Nolan's Batman cringe.

Also, $300,000 makes sense...for the "cameo." Paying her chump-change for the lead in one of the cornerstones of a multi-picture franchise is criminal.
Her only "acting" credit is standing and looking pretty in fast and furious. You don't give multimillion contracts to people with no chops.

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Trishbot said:
They could've gone with Gina Carano (looks the part, actual fighting experience, does her own stunts, has experience, dated Superman himself already). This is a supermodel with very little experience, and nothing impressive. To me, this makes as much sense as that supermodel cast in the Transformers 3 movie.

I would love to be wrong, but... Warner Bros. is really putting the cart before the horse here. The last Superman movie may have made some money, but it sharply divided its viewers, which can often spell doom for a followup (see Matrix Reloaded, Terminator 3, Exorcist 2, and other movies that derailed their franchise).

What if the follow-up just plain sucks on a Batman & Robin level? (even Batman & Robin made a profit.... *gag*) What if all these lead-ins just collapses under the weight of a rushed movie too concerned with chasing after Marvel's success, with so little regard to who they cast, what the source material established, or how it works on a basic storytelling level?

Because Man of Steel was a supreme mess of a movie. Good looking, sure, but nothing about it made me excited to see a bigger DC universe like Marvel's movies did. I don't think an anorexic Wonder Woman or a scowly Ben Affleck will change my mind.
I was thinking the same thing regarding Gina Carano. She's gorgeous, has the right build, can actually hold her own (and then some) in fight scenes and she can act a fair bit, too. I dunno, she seems like a perfect fit.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
This movie is a train wreck in the making, an if they mess it up it will spell the doom of a justice league movie. Batman is only in it because he sells loads, Supermans movie was ok but think he should be given his own sequel and not other characters shoe horned into it unless they are just cameos only. Guess she could play WW though would have to bulk up a bit otherwise she just wont be believable. Though im guessing they will just have her be a sexy WW to get people in the cinema. At this moment an untitled Marvel movie sounds better than this movie.

Covarr

PS Thanks
May 29, 2009
Alex Co said:
Also of note, Israeli entertainment show "Good Evening with Gai Pines" revealed that Gadot will earn $300,000 per film.
Seriously? For the lead role in a trilogy of what will presumably be major blockbusters, that's really not much.

P.S. Thanks

vid87

May 17, 2010
Yagami_Kira said:
vid87 said:
Abomination said:

Her only "acting" credit is standing and looking pretty in fast and furious. You don't give multimillion contracts to people with no chops.
Kind've begs the question why she was picked at all outside the looks and physicality, yet here we are. Still, she's expected to carry a movie solo - how did she not manage to negotiate just a little more? I know money shouldn't be an inherent indicator of quality, but something about this says to me the studio doesn't think much of her or consider WW something to be invested in - it's the mentality of "throw in whoever we can find dirt-cheap."

Yagami_Kira

May 18, 2012
vid87 said:
Yagami_Kira said:
vid87 said:
Abomination said:

Kind've begs the question why she was picked at all outside the looks and physicality, yet here we are. Still, she's expected to carry a movie solo - how did she not manage to negotiate just a little more? I know money shouldn't be an inherent indicator of quality, but something about this says to me the studio doesn't think much of her or consider WW something to be invested in - it's the mentality of "throw in whoever we can find dirt-cheap."
No. Its the mentality of them trying to sink wonder woman. They don't want her to be a success.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Kumagawa Misogi said:
Batman & Robin didn't make a profit it was $12 million short of breaking even if boxofficemojo's production budget and worldwide gross are correct and $42 million short if Wikipedia's production budget is correct.
I thought it made over $230 million on a $140 million budget, and that doesn't factor in the, well, massive profits they made from the merchandise and toys (it was designed primarily as a toy commercial and even the actors admit it).

It's just like how Godzilla's remake made a profit... but the poor word of mouth and hate for the film overshadowed any of its success, to the point the franchise was pretty much killed off since any follow-up they knew would be a disaster.

HBaskerville

Jun 22, 2010
kurupt87 said:
I really think she is gonna tank up hard for this role, her being Israeli only makes me think this more likely. Whilst physically strong women are by no means the norm, they are more common than in other Western(ish) countries.
Because she is Israeli? Dude, go stand with the "Heimdahl isn't Black!" crowd.

Yagami_Kira

May 18, 2012
HBaskerville said:
kurupt87 said:
Because she is Israeli? Dude, go stand with the "Heimdahl isn't Black!" crowd.
He means bulk up. Not do poorly.