CD Projekt: Cyberpunk Will Be A True RPG

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
CD Projekt: Cyberpunk Will Be A True RPG

Multiplayer shooter? No!

CD Projekt RED's Cyberpunk 2077 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/117529-CD-Projekt-Red-Reveals-Cyberpunk] title will be "a true RPG game," says studio co-founder Marcin Iwinski. In fact, Iwinski hints, an open world style game is more Cyberpunk 2077's style, but there are a lot of things about the game that he can't talk about yet.

"We are known for storytelling, and big game worlds," says Iwinski, "and so we're taking all what we've learnt from previous three Witcher games, as well as the open-world aspect, and applying it to Cyberpunk 2077." CD Projekt has already said it's doing add authenticity [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122445-CD-Projekt-Talks-About-Cyberpunks-Language], and an open world with that kind of detail is something to dream dystopian nightmares about.

Previously the studio said that the game will incorporate multiplayer features [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122659-Cyberpunk-2077-Will-Include-Multiplayer-Features], but didn't elaborate. Maybe this is Iwinski's way of taking PvP off the table; but we'll find out at launch, and no, before you ask, we still haven't a date.

Source: IGN [http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/23/the-witcher-3-new-details-to-blow-your-mind?page=3]

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
You misstyped the name in the title by the way, just pointing that out.

OT: I'm really glad to hear this. Although I am not that accustomed to the universe (haven't played the tabletop), I am very interested to see how CDPR will handle a sci fi RPG and the fact that they've stated it's going to be a full RPG experience then how can I say no to that.

I've already was going to buy it when they announced it anyway.

Captcha: thumbs up.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Pretty sure the release date is 2077.

Anyway, I'm certainly looking forward to this game. Deus Ex: HR disappointed me a little (is it much better on PC?), so I'm hoping CP can quench my thirst for a little future RPG action.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Oh boy. A true RPG. As opposed to all those fake RPGs.

Let me just list all the features that RPG games have in common these days:

* A leveling system of some sort
* Probably items of some kind

And either of those two can be skipped if the rest of the game is good enough.

RPG is just such a meaningless term. If you're going to say your game is a True RPG step one is going to have to be defining what exactly you consider a True RPG to be.

Brother Pain

Dec 17, 2008
I'd say a true CRPG has some important things a real PnP RPG has (though limited by technology)

- Character creation
- Some way of making your character better (xp, levels, or whatnot)
- Choices (since AI technology isn't good enough to simulate a GM)
- Possibly loot

Yes, that means that no JPRGs and very few ARPGs (that I know of) and not even the Witcher games are true CRPGs from my definition. From the way it's written, I'm guessing CD Projekt Red's definition is similar.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
CardinalPiggles said:

Anyway, I'm certainly looking forward to this game. Deus Ex: HR disappointed me a little (is it much better on PC?), so I'm hoping CP can quench my thirst for a little future RPG action.
i'm not sure what you mean by better to be honest. technically it's the same game, just with different controls.

although i've just started playing the directors cut edition, and the changes to the boss fights are pretty awesome, along with a few other improvements.

i'm hoping this is like an old school rpg, as in you pick your specialties, and anything else you try to use is useless (put your points into shooting, so swinging a crowbar does next to no damage). either way, CD projekt have yet to disappoint

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
CrossLOPER said:
2. I love CD project for using that image to market the game despite all the neo-femenism/Saarkesianism going on.
Not really a fan of that image to be honest. Sure, the arm things are creepy and all, but missing other context it's just sleezy. The aesthetic of the blood and the scythe/razor things are cool, but then to just have the character wearing underwear with legs spread makes it look more like it's already the Rule 34 version rather than the serious one.

It's just feels like they decided midway through to do 'look how sexy our game is' instead of 'look at the cool cyperpunk atmosphere'.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
Fine with me, as long as they don't confuse "being an RPG" with "having awful gunplay", and don't use the former as excuse for the latter.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
...Well, welcome to my "Maybe List" (2014->2015), Cyberpunk 2077.
You truly are in rare company.

Lets see if your talents match your ambition.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
suitepee7 said:
CardinalPiggles said:

i'm not sure what you mean by better to be honest. technically it's the same game, just with different controls.

although i've just started playing the directors cut edition, and the changes to the boss fights are pretty awesome, along with a few other improvements.

i'm hoping this is like an old school rpg, as in you pick your specialties, and anything else you try to use is useless (put your points into shooting, so swinging a crowbar does next to no damage). either way, CD projekt have yet to disappoint
Well controls are sometimes much better on either controller or M+K (subjectively obviously, but generally better for most people). The console version I played seemed to have some performance issues. It felt like there was a little input lag and the framerate didn't feel comfortable. I'm wondering if this is an inherent problem with the game or just the console version.

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
Okay, this is probably going to be a stupid question, but what do they mean by "a true RPG"? That sounds kind of...vague. Do they mean it's going to be turn-based combat with a 3rd person isometric view? Will it be single player with specifically defined character classes and feature a party system? Is its stat/skill system going to follow the traditional layout? Is it going to have an alignment system?

I don't mean to hose all over a game that, at least in concept, sounds like it has a lot of promise and appeal. It's just that this statement sounds like something that doesn't tell us anything about the game and was made just to try and stir up hardcore RPG players.

CloudAtlas

Mar 16, 2013
Falterfire said:
CrossLOPER said:
2. I love CD project for using that image to market the game despite all the neo-femenism/Saarkesianism going on.
Not really a fan of that image to be honest. Sure, the arm things are creepy and all, but missing other context it's just sleezy. The aesthetic of the blood and the scythe/razor things are cool, but then to just have the character wearing underwear with legs spread makes it look more like it's already the Rule 34 version rather than the serious one.

It's just feels like they decided midway through to do 'look how sexy our game is' instead of 'look at the cool cyperpunk atmosphere'.
Well, CD Projekt, with their Witcher games, has a tradition with understanding "mature" in both the mature and the immature way at the same time. I hope they eventually settle for the former though; we already got plenty of games that fulfill sexual fantasies as well as those that fulfil indulgent wish-fulfilment power fantasies.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
Atmos Duality said:
...Well, welcome to my "Maybe List" (2014), Cyberpunk 2077.
You truly are in rare company.

Lets see if your talents match your ambition.
Actually Cyberpunk is likely not before 2015.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Falterfire said:
CrossLOPER said:

Yeah, RED has a bit of a problem with it. They want to show tits during the sex scenes? Fine. I don't want every single female character to be a DD with a low cut top and I ESPECIALLY don't want to see that when it's on an elf that gets hanged, and her corpse left there, tits still on display. NO THANK YOU!

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
erttheking said:
and I ESPECIALLY don't want to see that when it's on an elf that gets hanged, and her corpse left there, tits still on display. NO THANK YOU!
o_O

Is that actually a thing? Because that's more than a bit disturbing, even if it was just the end result of poor planning.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Falterfire said:
erttheking said:
and I ESPECIALLY don't want to see that when it's on an elf that gets hanged, and her corpse left there, tits still on display. NO THANK YOU!
o_O

Is that actually a thing? Because that's more than a bit disturbing, even if it was just the end result of poor planning.
It is indeed. First level after the prologue in the Witcher 2, the MC stumbles onto a bunch of non-humans about to be hanged, a friend of his among them. He tires to stop them, but a few of them get hung before he can, including a scantily clad elf. If you go back later, her corpse is STILL THERE! Sadly, (or not) I can't find a picture of it. I mean, I like RED (What they represent, I'm kinda meh on the Witcher games) but they need to ease up on the sex. Seriously. Sex scenes? Fine, but a little restraint would be welcome.

Knowing Witcher 2, it could simply be that they used a generic character model, because clothing like that on a woman is pretty standard in this game, but it does show why constantly having low cut tops and huge tits on every woman in a game as dark as the Witcher 2 can not work out.

EDIT: Found an image. You can see her in the back...lovely ain't it.

http://www.vgfaq.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Witcher-2-Assassins-of-Kings-Enhanced-Edition-Walkthrough-By-the-Gods-%E2%80%93-Stringing-Up-Sods-Quest.jpg