Man Charges Back Into Burning House to Save His Xbox

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Man Charges Back Into Burning House to Save His Xbox

A man from Kansas finds his house on fire but that doesn't stop him from braving the flames to rescue his Xbox console.

Just how much do you value your games? Well, whatever the answer is, it might not match this man's zeal. An unnamed man from Kansas woke up early Friday morning to find his house engulfed in flames. While he was able to escape the fire, he charged right back in just to save his Xbox. Fortunately, the man did not sustain any major injuries and only suffered smoke inhalation in his quest to rescue his gaming console.

Fire officials blame the fire on an electrical junction box which has caused $80,000 in damages. Before you ask, the report does not state if the Xbox console was an Xbox 360 or an Xbox One, nor does it state if he managed to salvage his games or controllers.

Now, I know a lot of people are hardcore gamers, but let's hope that passion doesn't get in the way of sensibility if this ever happens to you. This begs the question: would you risk your life to run into a burning house to save your gaming console? If so, which gaming device would you do this for?

In other Xbox-related happenings, Microsoft has revealed its holiday quarter financials [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131624-Microsofts-Holiday-Quarter-Financials-Xbox-One-Sales-1-2-Billion-Strong] and Xbox One sales managed to hit an astounding $1.2 billion.

Source: ABC [http://www.abc15.com/dpp/news/national/man-runs-into-fire-to-save-xbox-game-system]

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
It seems kind of pointless considering the damage was $80,000. $500 isn't exactly much in comparison.

I guess it'd have his saved games on it, but given the choice between quite possibly dying and having to redo a few hours of a game, you'd think somebody would choose the latter.

AnthrSolidSnake

Jun 2, 2011
In all honesty, I know I'd LIKE to save my gaming PC, that's a lot of money to lose. But if a fire was bad enough that no one in my house could stop it, I have a brother, cat, dog, chinchillas, and gerbils to save before anything else. There's no way I'm risking my life for something that can't feel the fire and can be re-bought later. (assuming I ever could buy another one, depending on the cost of damages.)

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
If my house was on fire I would get my dog out and probably leave my PC behind. Sad I know and I would grab my bag on the way out so my USB with all my college work on it doesn't die but my PC is tucked into a desk and I would have to pull it out and those bloody VGA wires with the fiddly screws would slow me down too much. I fucking hate those things

cikame

Jun 11, 2008
I may want to grab my PC backup drive so i don't lose things i've been keeping for well over a decade, but i wouldn't be able to play games without my life so that comes first.

hazydawn

Jan 11, 2013
I'd do it for my pc. But more fore the data than the hardware.
All that time spent collecting digital content :|

AntiChri5

Nov 9, 2011
I would probably do that to save my data. My profile and saved games and such. Thats thousands of hours of fun, over a lot of years. It's not that different to a mother charging back in to save her photo albums and baby pics.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
for a PC i can kind of understand, if it has lots of work and documents that aren't available elsewhere... but for game saves? fucking idiot, that's why you have contents insurance

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
"only suffered smoke inhalation "
Actually, almost everyone that dies in housefires or any other fire (which is LOTS of people) die because of the smoke.
Virtually no one burns to death, they are dead long before the fire reaches their body!

So, you can also state that the fool nearly DIED.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
The guy's an idiot. I hope his Xbox burned. And I hope that if it did, no store or anything is going to be reimbursing him with one either (the guy who bought a cardboard box and got a free Xbox from CEX was bad enough...). Seriously, what possesses anyone to risk their life for something like that? Complete and utter moron...

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
I'd charge back into a burning house to feed an Xbox to the flames. Hiyoooo~!

Much as I'd be distraught at the notion of losing all the data on my PC that I've been building up for years, there's living creatures that'd have to get priority attention. Plus PC is clunky, heavy and time-consuming to unplug.

AldUK

Oct 29, 2010
You know, it 'could' be the case that this guy saved every single penny he could from the moment the Xbox: One was announced. Maybe he's on minimum wage and has other outgoings leaving him no money at all for leisure or treats and the Xbox was his one big purchase for the next several years.

People like that do exist. In that situation I can understand not wanting to so easily lose it, because it's not even about the console itself, it's about all of that time, saving and anticipating gone in a mindless instant.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
I'd go back and grab my backup PC HDD and the 360 HDD.

The data is more important that the hardware, as it is what I have actually invested all my time in. As long as you have that you can just put it on another PC/360 and continue on.

Plus trying to physically carry my PC is difficult enough when the house is not on fire, it's pretty huge.

rcs619

Mar 26, 2011
Well what else was he supposed to do? Would YOU want to have to download that day-one patch again?

Dectomax

Jun 17, 2010
hazydawn said:
digital content
Uh-huh...Digital Content...

On topic, there's no way in hell I'd be able to heave my PC out of my desk and down the stairs in a short period of time. I'd probably grab my USB and back up-drives...Luckily contents insurance would have me covered.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
I can understand going back for your perishables, drugs or munitions, but an XBOX?

Whatever. It's his life to live as he pleases. At least nobody got hurt.
Trivun said:
The guy's an idiot. I hope his Xbox burned. And I hope that if it did, no store or anything is going to be reimbursing him with one either (the guy who bought a cardboard box and got a free Xbox from CEX was bad enough...). Seriously, what possesses anyone to risk their life for something like that? Complete and utter moron...
Ah, a common misconception. The man in question was so stupid that he actually bought a photograph of an Xbone, not even a box. It was also listed as a photograph on the website. He bought it for his under-age son that he had when he was...(DRUM ROLL, PLEASE!)...under-age!

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
I love my PC, but it would be way too heavy to carry down three flights of stairs and out the door whilst avoiding the flames. Plus, you know, family and pets...