Daft Punk Gets Lucky With Album and Record of the Year Grammys

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Daft Punk Gets Lucky With Album and Record of the Year Grammys

The music duo Daft Punk performed award-winning song "Get Lucky" to a dancing Grammy Awards audience.

In last night's Grammy Awards, Daft Punk won every category they were nominated in, earned awards for album of the year for Random Access Memories and record of the year with the album's "Get Lucky," featuring Pharrell Williams and Nile Rodgers. Furthermore, they won the best pop duo/group performance award with "Get Lucky" and best dance/electronica album.

Seeing as how Daft Punk does not speak in costume, "Get Lucky" singer Pharrell Williams accepted the award for record of the year and delivered the thank you speech for the performers. "Well, I suppose the robots would like to thank..." he said. "You know, honestly, I bet France is really proud of these guys right now." He also won non-classical producer of the year.

Singer and songwriter Paul Williams accepted the album of the year award. Williams struggled with substance abuse for years before getting sober, and then "two robots asked me to make an album," he said.

Performing "Get Lucky" for the audience, Daft Punk wore their iconic helmets while Pharrell Williams and Nile Rogers performed beside the duo. The song got the audience on its feet, and it included Daft Punk's "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger," Chic's "Le Freak," and Stevie Wonder's "Another Star." The performance beat Robin Thicke's "Blurred Lines," Pink's "Just Give Me A Reason," and Rihanna's "Stay."

Macklemore and Ryan Lewis also took home four wins, winning best new artist and rap album for The Heist. The pair performed "Same Love" as 33 couples were married on stage, including same-sex couples. Queen Latifah officiated the ceremony. "This song is a love song not for some of us, but for all of us," she said before the performance.

Source: Grammy [http://www.grammy.com/news/daft-punk-pharrell-and-macklemore-ryan-lewis-heist-the-grammys]

Bernzz

Assumed Lurker
Legacy
Mar 27, 2009
Country
Australia
Not a huge fan of Daft Punk, or anyone else mentioned there, but good on 'em. I'd be stoked to be those guys.

I just wanna say that the same-sex marriage thing is pretty awesome. I can get behind that.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Nice and all, but we must not forget that the legends are back and winning in style.

Best Metal Performance

God Is Dead?

Black Sabbath
Track from: 13
Label: Vertigo/Republic

A band that has been around since 1969, and has has some changes from it's original line-up but is still nearly complete again and still touring, recording albums, making great albums (Let's forget Forbidden existed for a moment), great live shows and is still relevant.

This is worth a lot more celebrating than some pop artists.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Good on them to have won those awards (Daft Punk fan over here), seriously they must of done something right to have gotten everyone grooving to their song! Heh they must have ventilation in those helmets if they were wearing it throughout the event (unless they took it off in secret)!

Citizen Graves

Jul 19, 2011
Awesome. I really enjoyed their Random Access Memories album and I'm glad they won so big at the Awards. Also, Macklemore winning, too, gives me hope for the music industry.

After all that feces that ran on the radio last year I find it delightful that actually talented artists win big, both critically and financially.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Good on Daft Punk. Well deserved wins.

Random Access Memories is a brilliant album. A magnificent combination of modern stylings, 90's electro, and 70's disco/funk.

ThatHybridGuy

Jun 27, 2010
Am I the only person who didn't think the Random Access Memories album was THAT great as a whole? I mean I bought it, I like a few of the songs and Get Lucky was just the best song of last year, but still. Maybe I'm just in the minority.

King Whurdler said:
OT: I maintain that the Grammy's are a nigh-irrelevant force that's barely indicitive of the best music out there. 'The Heist' over 'good kid, m.a.a.d city?' Really? That being said, good on Daft Punk. 'Random Access Memories' is a modern masterwork!
Agreed. I like Macklemore but Good Kid, M.A.A.D. City deserved the win FAR more than the Heist. Hell, Macklemore himself said that he'd be disappointed if he won over Kendrick Lamar. Whatever, though. It's over now.

Plus, y'know, it's just the Grammy's. Who cares about them?

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
JenSeven said:
That's nice, but this appears to be an article appears to be about Daft Punk winning an Album and record of the year grammy, not a Metal Band formed by a guy that did all kinds of drugs, swore a lot and then binged out to reality tv.

I don't mind Black Sabbath (last song I listened to was was Paranoid) but I'm more of a Daft Punk fan since most of their songs sound upbeat and great most of the time and don't tend me give me headaches like Metal Music sometimes would.

I also wouldn't jump into a thread about two guys winning a grammy and claiming some metal band (totally different genre of music btw) deserves all the praise an attention while DP get nothing for this thread, the logic just isn't there at all.

JenSeven

Crazy person! Avoid!
Oct 19, 2010
Shadow-Phoenix said:
JenSeven said:
That's nice, but this appears to be an article appears to be about Daft Punk winning an Album and record of the year grammy, not a Metal Band formed by a guy that did all kinds of drugs, swore a lot and then binged out to reality tv.
Ah yes, bands in the 70's. Name me a few that you are certain of who weren't into substance abuse. That does some things to you, you know.

I don't mind Black Sabbath (last song I listened to was was Paranoid) but I'm more of a Daft Punk fan since most of their songs sound upbeat and great most of the time and don't tend me give me headaches like Metal Music sometimes would.
You know, that's interesting. EDM (Electronic Dance Music) gives me terrible migraines.
And I certainly like upbeat songs, there are many, many upbeat songs I listen to. So.... not sure what your point is there.
Are you trying to say most metal is downbeat?

I also wouldn't jump into a thread about two guys winning a grammy and claiming some metal band (totally different genre of music btw) deserves all the praise an attention while DP get nothing for this thread, the logic just isn't there at all.
If you want logic, remember what you're doing. You're posting a comment on the forum of a gaming website who reports the news that an EDM group won a Grammy. I think the logic was already gone.
Also, you want me to look into how many times in the past you brought up ponies in a thread they weren't relevant in?

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
JenSeven said:
1) Many have done, you wanted that little tidbit as a victory cookie, really is that specifically what you wanted most was to have that little bit?.

2)No not in the slightest, I don't know what you were trying to downplay in this thread by using Black Sabbath though.

3)I watched the show way back in 2011 for the course of a few months, got bored of the show and then the fandom as a whole, you're trying to say I've brought up "ponies" in a lot of unrelated thread?, and all of a sudden you want that shred of victory from question number? and you talk to me about accuracy of a statement?.

No, you're right this is a games website and this is a thread about two guys in the music industry winning their grammy, but really was there any need for you to come in here and downplay them right off the bat and say we should ditch DP and love and praise BS to the high heavens, devote a time to them more than DP?, really?.

As my last question, did you really absolutely want that special cookie for a victory, because it sounds like you're wanting to go all out for it.

Geekeric

Sep 8, 2010
I don't understand how you can do an article about an awards show and a song that they performed during the show and that won awards, but you post no video. What, is it a copyright thing? This is the internet; you can post some video! Oh, and they danced? Hmmm, wish I knew what it looked like, sounds interesting...

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Not really a fan of theirs cause I dont really care for the genre, so I was pulling for Lorde for album and mackelmore and Ryan Lewis for album, but I guess its better than swift winning with the same stuff she's always sung about or mars or thicke winning.