Swimming Anime Free! Second Season is Confirmed

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Swimming Anime Free! Second Season is Confirmed

The swimming-centric anime Free! returns most likely this summer.

During a special talk event yesterday, it was revealed that a second season of the Free! anime has been greenlit. The first season ended in September with the message "See you next summer..."

The Kyoto Animation-produced anime is about a group of boys who once swam competitively, specifically about Haruka Nanase, a gifted swimmer who has little motivation about increasing his times but swims because he loves the water. After a swimming competition, his teammate Rin moves to Australia to practice swimming more seriously. Rin returns to Japan without a word and swims against Haruka, who has stopped swimming, showing Haruka how strong of a swimmer he's become. Haruka and his previous teammates Makoto and Nagisa, joined by new swimmer Rei, form the Iwatobi Swim Club and work to enter a swimming competition against Rin. The anime is part sports and part slice of life, focusing on friendship and a love for swimming.

The first season premiered last July, and going by its final message, the second season is likely to air this summer. A television commercial for the project aired in March 2013 [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NqRG88E-s8] and went viral, inspiring several fanworks. Kyoto Animation later confirmed it would be working on Free!, and many of the team members who made the commercial would be working on the anime series. Some designs were tweaked by the time the project began airing as an animated series.

Kyoto Animation's other series include K-ON!, Clannad, Beyond The Boundary, The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and many more.

As much fanservice of the male characters there is in Free!, Kyoto Animation captured the fluidity of swimming and greatly researched competitive swimming.

Source: Anime News Network [https://twitter.com/isuzu55/status/427387510100987904/photo/1]

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Of course it's getting a second season, it's the best thing ever broadcasted. And it's a very series sports drama entirely about swimming, nothing else.

Apr 28, 2008
All I know about this is that it had a bunch of people really upset because it was aimed more towards women than men. And for that reason I hope this becomes the most successful anime ever made. I really, really do.

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
Irridium said:
All I know about this is that it had a bunch of people really upset because it was aimed more towards women than men. And for that reason I hope this becomes the most successful anime ever made. I really, really do.
I wouldn't say a "bunch". Some anonymous people griping about it in on 4chan's /a/, but not really a mainstream outrage.

Apr 28, 2008
hentropy said:
Irridium said:
I wouldn't say a "bunch". Some anonymous people griping about it in on 4chan's /a/, but not really a mainstream outrage.
Really? Aw... Guess my friend over-exaggerated. Ah well. Still, glad for its success.

mecegirl

May 19, 2013
Irridium said:
hentropy said:
Irridium said:
Really? Aw... Guess my friend over-exaggerated. Ah well. Still, glad for its success.
At the time I was linked to an article on Sankaku Complex. The post about the anime was positive but the comments section... So much hate for the show. Which was odd because Sankaku Complex is a site mostly about fanservice, ecchi, and hentai. Most of the content was aimed at presumably heterosexual guys. So it was odd to see the members so worked up about it. I would post a link but images on the site wasn't pg at all.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
My sister and I love this show! She's a competitive high school swimmer, and I'm usually busy doing stuff for college so watching it together kinda became our thing, so I'm super excited for Season Two! I don't know how we're going to watch it together this summer though, as I probably won't live in this part of the country anymore. Maybe we'll synch up two streams on either end whilst Skyping or something, watching it without her just wouldn't be the same...