Man At Arms Recreates Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood Spear

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Man At Arms Recreates Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood Spear

The new episode of Man At Arms features the recreation of Edward Elric's spear from Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

After bringing a series of swords (and a wrist dagger) to life in his armory, blacksmith Tony Swatton has now turned his attention to something a little different: A spear, specifically the one wielded by Edward Elric of Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

I won't spoil the process for you, but I will say that it's made of metal - different types of metal, in fact, cut, ground, hammered and welded together to create an imposting stick of multi-metal mayhem that will mess you up! And in truth, while most of this goes way over my head - I have no particular interest in either Full Metal Alchemist or 4130 chromium/molybdenum steel tubing - the final result is very impressive indeed.

What makes it work isn't the spear itself - anyone can sharpen a stick - but the near-obsessive attention to detail. The blade of the spear has an appealingly utilitarian viciousness to it on its own, but the etching, the secondary layer of bronze and the forged bronze dragon scales are what turn it from a weapon to a work of art. I suppose that level of impractical intricacy is to be expected from a video game weapon, but it's still an amazing thing to see it in the real world.

And as usual, to demonstrate that this spear is more than just a pretty face, it's put to work (once the real work is over) slashing and smashing stuff in slow-motion. It works like a charm - but boy, the Man At Arms forge really ain't no place to be a watermelon, is it?

Source: YouTube [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbkP77R7gMA]

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
3:33 Holy shit, the apprentice is holding an Energy Sword from Halo!

Edit: Judging by the still image for the video, he skipped out on some detail (the dragon's tail wrapping around the spear shaft). The spear still looks sweet as hell, but it's sad to see that he's now not being so detail oriented.

hazydawn

Jan 11, 2013
My only critique would be that the bronze plate seems not to be flat on the blade 4:42 and there's no neat transition from one metal to the other there.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Man, that's pretty impressive!

Now if I could live in a world where there's working auto mail. My cousin's son would have a working arm,

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I only remember Ed creating a spear one or two times in the series. It wasn't exactly a go to creation and I seem to recall at least once it was broken almost immediately.

Not that the spear wasn't cool. And seeing it brought to life is rather awesome. This guy makes some impressive weapons which are pretty faithful to the source material.

He's already made a few massive swords. So he should really get around to Gut's Dragonslayer sword. Not sure if it would be bigger than the Buster Sword or not.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
I suppose that level of impractical intricacy is to be expected from a video game weapon, but it's still an amazing thing to see it in the real world.
I think you meant to say Anime.

Saltyk said:
I only remember Ed creating a spear one or two times in the series. It wasn't exactly a go to creation and I seem to recall at least once it was broken almost immediately.
That was with Al versus Lust if I remember correctly. Also, seeing his go to weapon was turning his automail arm into a blade I can kind of see why he chose a different weapon.

Personally I want to see the King Bradley's Swords.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Saltyk said:
He's already made a few massive swords. So he should really get around to Gut's Dragonslayer sword. Not sure if it would be bigger than the Buster Sword or not.
If he ever did get around to making that monster, I'd think he'd need a few other people to help him lift it.

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
OK.
This is just awesome!
I want it, but it would probably cost me a few bucks...

and to continue on the trend of the thread
A weapon i'd like to see IRL from a game/series/other:
Maybe something from Tales of Symphonia, that series has a lot of cool weapons!

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
TizzytheTormentor said:
erttheking said:
Saltyk said:
He has already done it!
This guy has skills, I wonder if he would consider a Gunblade...

*hears Spoony screaming in the distance*

EDIT: Oh you meant Guts Sword, he hasn't done that, although requests for it are plastered in the comments section. I assume it will be done in the near future.
I was gonna correct ya, but you got it. I did see the Buster Sword and it is impressive. I do feel that it should be just a little bit thicker, but if it were, it would probably be a weapon no man could actually pick up much less swing.

I'm sure he'll make the Dragonslayer at some point. I was just saying that I would like him to. Throwing my support in the ring so to speak.

I would like him to make the Gunblade, too. I don't care what anyone says, I just like the way it looks.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
My only nitpick is that Ed forms the spear by transmuting stone into metal, which means the spear should be entirely metal rather than having a wooden shaft.

It's still awesome as hell, though.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Amazing work as always from the Blacksmith.

Man seeing it for real, it look so dangerous (since it's quie wide for a spear)!

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
Saltyk said:
I'm sure he'll make the Dragonslayer at some point. I was just saying that I would like him to. Throwing my support in the ring so to speak.
Somepoint could mean a very long time though, considering its around 2 weeks per episode and some of the most requested ones have been glazed over a lot (frostmourne etc). Also not seen it in his comments section a lot, which seems to be how he chooses them

But then again he seems to be going deeper into anime territory (next from naruto... godammit) so there's still hope.

Rattja

Dec 4, 2012
It may not be an exact copy of it, but it is still awesome as hell.
This guy has some serious skills, and if I could do this I would make a ton of fantasy weapons as well.

My favorite is still the buster sword, or the orc axe.

Now... if only he could try to make a functioning version of clauds fusion swords, now that would be insane O.O
If anyone could do that, it has to be this guy.