268: Real-Life Sidekick

Ryan Smith

Apr 1, 2010
Real-Life Sidekick

Co-operative play isn't usually about hero and sidekick playing together, but Ryan Smith shows how the sidekick feature in Super Mario Galaxy 2 is perfect for him and his casual gamer girlfriend.

Read Full Article

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Would gamers really enjoy playing the role of the ineffectual Otacon, ferreting out information by hacking computer networks and uploading it to Snake's codec?
I'm sorry, but that would be an awesome game! If they released it as 2 seperate games with their own single player (one a 3rd person shooter, one a hacker sim) and they can then link up to play a hard version where one person sneaks around and the other hacks for information, turns off cameras etc.

Great tale as well. I think the reason it hasn't been done more in the past is because designers doubt people will be happy to play anything less then the main character which is why any game where people play co-op you either have them being identical (Army of Two, Halo etc) or attempts to make them as balanced as possible (Boarderlands). The only game I can think of that changes this is TF2 and the Medic. If you sign up to be a medic in TF2 you generally accept you're going to be spending the entire game cleaning other peoples messes and not directly kill anyone.

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
She would then like Jet Force gemini on the N64 where the second player in Co-Op would seer a second Crosshair and just shoot, taking the role of the Drone you would find in the game.

Robyrt

Aug 1, 2008
I wish more games had this kind of asymmetric co-op experience. Rock Band is another notable one, although it still gives rise to feelings of inferiority when you're banging away at Drums For Idiots while Will powerslides across the floor.

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
I have to admit, when I started this article I didn't really 'get' Amanda.

I've tried the secondary position in SMG2 and found it Dullsville because, to me, there simply wasn't enough to do.

By the end of your article, not only do I have a new appreciation for just WHO these types of co-op features could be aimed at but also how they could change for the non-newbies.

Co-operative. Two or more people co-operating to achieve one or more goals.
How did I forget that the most enjoyable way to do that was differently?

So do we have the processing power to run a game where two characters are both working independently of each other in different areas of the same world? Meeting up if they choose or if needed, but otherwise doing their own things. (Fable comes to mind. How awesome would it be to compete for the worship (or fear) of the masses? To be on the same broad side without being forced to be best friends?)

I wouldn't mind loading screens if I could do that.

Hell, I wouldn't mind running the game on two separate MACHINES hooked into each other if I could!

affabletoaster

Jan 26, 2009
The co-op experience in SMG (I've only played 1 so far) is the only co-op experience I have ever enjoyed.

Years ago, I played as the "passive" helper when my then-boyfriend was making his first trek through Super Mario Galaxy, and I was delighted that I could be involved in gaming with him without actually being responsible for screwing up his plans, since he was a much more experienced gamer than I was.

Now, I'm a moderately experienced gamer, and I'm playing through Super Mario Galaxy with a friend. This time I'm playing as Mario, and my friend is the sidekick, and though I offer to switch with him every time, he insists that he enjoys the lower-pressure experience. When he was playing Portal, I sat next to him and was essentially the unequal sidekick, helping him solve puzzles while he handled the timing and maneuvers.

If anything, I think these sorts of co-op experiences are the gateway drugs that can lead newbie gamers in deeper.

And one more reason to love unequal co-op: Since the game can be played without the helper partner, there's no pressure to wait for the helper to feel like playing the game/be available to play/whatever. The helper can drift in and out of the game hour-by-hour or session-by-session without screwing over their partner.

Smokescreen

Dec 6, 2007
I think this is an interesting direction for gaming to go in. Clearly there is an audience for co-op experiences where one player handles a certain set of skills (platforming, precise timing) and another assists with something else-grabbing items or doing some other function.

It might be a niche area but I think it's one worth exploring, especially as a gateway for new players of any age.

Dogchow89

Apr 10, 2009
My wife and I play Super Mario Galaxy 2 in this exact same way, and it's actually the most mutual fun we've ever had in a video game. She actually really gets into being the orange luma, and sometimes complains for me to "stop doing her job" when I catch a star bit before her, or stomp an enemy before she can defeat it.

I often invite her to try being player 1, but she gets very stressed out. There's simply too much for an inexperienced gamer to keep track of. As player 2, she has just enough to do without getting frazzled. For this type of co-op relationship, Super Mario Galaxy probably is the perfect game.

M-JN

Jan 26, 2009
I think it'd work out easier if the level that the sidekick was involved was something you could customize. If you're trying to involve (lure!) your friend into the game, start them off with the low-pressure sidekick mode, and keep them there if they want. Or you can move them up so they're more equal to you once they get the hang of it.

That also makes the same game just as much fun to two players who both know what they're doing to begin with.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I think this concept has almost been done before, with mixed results. Two that come to mind include:

Lucky & Wild [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucky_&_Wild], a Starsky & Hutch-esque arcade rail-shooter/driving game where Player 1 had to both drive the car and shoot, but Player 2 just had to shoot things (although that link lists some "unofficial" ways around that).

Spy Hunter 2 [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SpyHunter_2] (the 2003 console version, not the 80s arcade version). Player 1 drove the Interceptor and fired most of the weapons, but you could add a second player who would control a gun turret on the Interceptor and provide some fire support. Unfortunately, the game overall was garbage.

You could take this SMG2 idea and apply it to something more "hardcore": how about a third-person platformer or shooter where player 1 is the onscreen protagonist, and player 2 is the offscreen sniper who provides fire-support. Player 2 can focus on taking out some of the enemies to prevent player 1 from getting overrun, without having to worry about their own life meter or whatever.

Hulyen

Apr 20, 2009
I think the lego games do this fairly well also, taking into mind the 'drop in drop out' mechanic. The games are pretty all-ages friendly to begin with, but co-op is a blast with almost anyone; if a player gets frustrated or overwhelmed, they can drop out for a minute, then jump back in once the obstacle is cleared.

JPLC

Mar 19, 2008
Plinglebob said:
Would gamers really enjoy playing the role of the ineffectual Otacon, ferreting out information by hacking computer networks and uploading it to Snake's codec?
I'm sorry, but that would be an awesome game! If they released it as 2 seperate games with their own single player (one a 3rd person shooter, one a hacker sim) and they can then link up to play a hard version where one person sneaks around and the other hacks for information, turns off cameras etc.

Great tale as well. I think the reason it hasn't been done more in the past is because designers doubt people will be happy to play anything less then the main character which is why any game where people play co-op you either have them being identical (Army of Two, Halo etc) or attempts to make them as balanced as possible (Boarderlands). The only game I can think of that changes this is TF2 and the Medic. If you sign up to be a medic in TF2 you generally accept you're going to be spending the entire game cleaning other peoples messes and not directly kill anyone.
I agree; playing as Otacon could be pretty fun if done right. Make the hacking mechanic interesting enough, and I think you'll find a sizable number of people willing to be the "hacker" to Snake's "action dude". Someone's gotta bypass security locks and find the useful information!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
I'm definitely not a casual gamer, but I love SMG2 for the same reasons Amanda does. I like taking part without having to be that involved in it. We're playing together, but if I feel like just sitting back and watching, that's totally ok, too. I'll admit there are times my fingers itch to grab the Wii Remote out of Player 1's hands, but for the most part I'm happy to just help in small ways. It's a fun, but less intense, way to share a gaming experience with my sweetheart.

Chuk

Jan 10, 2009
My kids love to be the co-star when I play SMG2 or their big brother does. I don't mind helping them, either, it is nice to be able to contribute a bit rather than just watch the other player.

MasterV

Aug 9, 2010
Hey Ryan Smith, here's an idea. Instead of making your girlfriend sufer through complicated 3D games (because they are) and making her watch you play in SMG2, why not play TOGETHER in NSMBWii? Or do you fear that her ineptitude will hinder you ZOMGAwsome gaming skills and your progress? Teach her, put her in the GAME not inthe SIDELINES. That, my friend is where SMG2 fails in co-op.

Dogchow89

Apr 10, 2009
MasterV said:
Hey Ryan Smith, here's an idea. Instead of making your girlfriend sufer through complicated 3D games (because they are) and making her watch you play in SMG2, why not play TOGETHER in NSMBWii? Or do you fear that her ineptitude will hinder you ZOMGAwsome gaming skills and your progress? Teach her, put her in the GAME not inthe SIDELINES. That, my friend is where SMG2 fails in co-op.
I wanted to reply to this because coincidentally my wife and I have played both SMG2 and NSMBWii. She can't stand being Mario in SMG2 but loves being the Luma. In NSMBWii we were able to make it all the way to World 3 (!) before she basically gave up in frustration at the difficulty. I had no problem waiting for her, but more often than not we were finishing levels with her being left with zero lives, watching from the sidelines. Either that, or she would ride the bubble through 90% of a level while I played. She was frustrated at feeling like she was "holding me back" and we ended up finishing the game with her simply watching me play rather than playing along. She enjoyed it better that way.

Simply put, some people get frustrated at the challenge, and actually do not want to step up their game. They just want to play and and some good, clean old fashioned fun.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Wow, few points to make here, let's make them snappy, I suppose. The co-op in SMG2 is fun even for the practiced of thumb and finger, if you swap out. An advanced group of players can co-operate like very few other games will allow, especially in the later stages, purple coin runs, and green star nabs. The Mario player can focus on the primary objective, while the Luma player can collect power-ups (and hold them over Mario's behatted head, if they're feeling pesky), coins, and stars. Coordinating between players of "going for the coins on the left" or "holding the platform, go ahead and jump" allows for some carefully managed successful platforming, and there are plenty of occasions where it's needed. Alone and with a bud, Co-star mode has a lot of depth to it, especially when in the hands of the experienced players, and is still highly experiential to the newcomers who want to get a taste of the action, but aren't as used to the complex jump mechanics. And, if the first player ever gets too cocky, the second can always hold an enemy, then release at an inopportune moment, knocking Mario's plumber ass out into space, while throwing a smug look at player one.

Phew, okay, second point.
MasterV said:
I've encountered this point before, and I'll present the same argument here. The difference is that NSMBWii requires a lot of skill beyond a certain point, whether it be the timing, the foreknowledge of platforming tropes, or the intense coordination among players to achieve the goal, especially if you venture beyond more than two players. Since the lady in question seems to not be as familiar with the tricks and traps of the games, it's gonna be harder for her. In SMG2, she can get the full experience, take stabs at the puzzles, and confront the enemies without having to go through the grind of learning the tricks and feats that the more experienced gamers have learned. Remember, what we know is part memory and part experience, and the new gamers have little to none of either. Giving them that opportunity to play the game, getting a little better, is a good step towards getting them to understand more about how to play. Learning the methods and means are a little more complicated, and require a gradual curve. Daredevil running the Grandmaster galaxy, for instance, will not happen the first time you pick up the controller. That takes help, concentration, and focus, and those things all require knowing how to game. Conversely, getting there, learning how to long-jump-wall-kick-wall-kick-spin to reach a star, that's where the game shines in teaching the players (a move which, or a slight variant thereof, is asked of you in the later levels and stages of NSMBWii, without ever telling you that that's what you'll need to do).

Okay, last point, for sake of a tip of a hat.
Hulyen said:
I think the lego games do this fairly well also, taking into mind the 'drop in drop out' mechanic. The games are pretty all-ages friendly to begin with, but co-op is a blast with almost anyone; if a player gets frustrated or overwhelmed, they can drop out for a minute, then jump back in once the obstacle is cleared.
This is a fantastic point. They might seem childlike and kiddy, but the Lego games of recent fame are a great way to introduce her to some well-rounded, steadily and fairly progressive platforming. It'll start easy, and work it's way up to being more complicated the more you play. Never the most challenging, and great fun to play with someone who doesn't have the experience at gaming. Lego Indiana Jones or Star Wars are great, because if she's familiar with the movies even slightly, she'll laugh and have fun at the cute graphics and animations, while having fun with the challenges that they present.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
This reiterates a point Susan made on her column some ages ago: games are fucking hard. We can only figure out how to navigate our avatars through a 3D environment using two thumbsticks because we grew into it. My mom thinks Mario Kart: Double Dash!!! is hard (compared to Mario Kart 64) and she's probably right.

Typecast

Jul 27, 2008
Does anyone remember Tails in Sonic Two? Or Floyd in Jet force Gemini, I would think these were comparable examples of 'player two' having a slightly easier time of it, but still being able to get involved, and even being helpful.