268: The Best Planet Companion

ThrashJazzAssassin

Jan 5, 2010
Ah, Democratus. Did anyone not keep him in their party as much as humanly possible as soon as he became available? One of my favourite parts of a really great game.

Grand_Marquis said:
CUnk said:
Also, for those that don't care about spoiling the game (or those that have already played it), someone made an Anachronox movie a while back by stringing together the cut scenes:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4dfuk_anachronox-the-movie-part-01-of-13_videogames
Just a head's up - probably better to search for this on youtube, where you don't have to wait through two preroll ads, followed by four different banner ads during playback for each segment. Good god, Dailymotion has become a slum. Still, for its day those are some impressive cutscenes. I can't believe this game is as obscure as it is.
Actually, you can just go to archive.org and download the entire video. I'd recommend avoiding it if there's any chance you'll play the game, though; not only do you miss out on a lot of the flavour, and the experience of gradually discovering what's going on, but there's one specific plot twist which you wouldn't want to spoil for yourself.

StreetBushido

Nov 22, 2009
Man, I love this game! It's really awesome to see this game mentioned on the Escapist!
I heartily recommend it, even if the graphics may seem quite stale by todays standards.
Almost everything in the game meshes wonderfully to become an awesome gaming experience, from the mini-games to the writing.

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
I must confess I'd never even heard of it before just now! I may have to check it out sometime. Sounds like a blast.

SandroTheMaster

Apr 2, 2009
As a follower of the cult of Anachronox (and Terra Nova... and Captain Claw... and Might and Magic) I always find the flimsiest excuse to hamp this game up on forums. I've made free advertising for it at least half a dozen times in the PC Gamer site forums.

As for me, as much as I liked Democritus, I'd prefer Paco, El Puño Estrela. The superhero from a planet everybody was tired of superheroes everywhere.

Djed Moros

Jun 7, 2010
"Wanna see my batteries?"

By the way, anyone who's interested in the game might want to know that the in-game cutscenes (which are legendary) were posted as some kinda feature-length film on Machinima.com. Great to get a glimpse of the truly unique humor.

This is one of the few games that kept surprising me up to the very last minute. Not many games manage to introduce game-mechanics that really alter your way of playing the game somewhere half through it.
If you can forgive a somewhat slow start and the mediocre combat system (and the fact that there's never been a sequel), Anachronox is one of the games you'll be glad to have played.

Luk 333

Aug 31, 2010
OK, it's settled, I'll finish the game for a third time. I haven't played it in the last 5-6 years, although it's my favorite game.

Tomas Roller

Dec 22, 2011
Such an amazing game... bought it three times (2x as a gift). A few things would make me happier than a sequel.

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
On the off chance anyone reads this and isn't already aware, this game just got released on GOG

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/anachronox