Double Fine's Broken Age Act 1 Launches On Steam For Non-Backers

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Double Fine's Broken Age Act 1 Launches On Steam For Non-Backers

Act 2 will be released as a free update later this year.

If you've been paying any attention at all - and yes I mean you there, in the back - then you know that Double Fine's Kickstarted point-and-click epic right about now [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/10909-Broken-Age-Act-1-Review]. Steam has it on sale for $24.99, or $29.99 if you want the soundtrack too.

Act 2 will launch later this year, for free, and no, I don't know when later this year is. I'd hazard a guess that it's later, and probably this year. "They said adventure games were dead," says Double Fine, "but then Broken Age punched its hand out of the grave and grabbed you by the wrist and you screamed just like in the end of Carrie except what you screamed was 'I love adventure games so much!' And sorry I spoiled the end of Carrie."

Broken Age is a PC, Mac and Linux title, and the list of Key Features includes All Your Hopes and Dreams. So if you were wondering where those pesky little beggars wandered off to, now you know.

Source: Steam [http://store.steampowered.com/app/232790/]

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Well, I guess the first major wave of major Kickstarter releases is well underway. Time to see if the model really holds up. Yes, I know some KS games are out already, but I'm talking about the major ones. Personally, I'm more interested in all the RPGs that are supposed to come out (Wasteland 2, Project Infinity, Torment, etc.), but I guess it's time to see what Schafer can put out when left completely to his own devices...

Karloff said:
Broken Age is a PC, Mac and Linux title, and the list of Key Features includes All Your Hopes and Dreams. So if you were wondering where those pesky little beggars wandered off to, now you know.
I think you meant "buggers". Or you have vastly different hopes and dreams than me... :p

Sol_HSA

was gaming before you were born
Nov 25, 2008
Jandau said:
I guess it's time to see what Schafer can put out when left completely to his own devices...
When I played through the act 1, I realized just how much I've missed his writing.

Alterego-X

Nov 22, 2009
Sgt. Sykes said:
Will be the new trend in games "Pay double for the first game, maybe get sequel for free"?
Better than the old trends of "Just cut the game in parts and sell them separately, one for the price of two" or "Just cut down the game and sell it for a full price anyways", that would have been applied to similar problems.

Schadrach

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 20, 2010
Country
US
Jandau said:
Well, I guess the first major wave of major Kickstarter releases is well underway. Time to see if the model really holds up. Yes, I know some KS games are out already, but I'm talking about the major ones. Personally, I'm more interested in all the RPGs that are supposed to come out (Wasteland 2, Project Infinity, Torment, etc.), but I guess it's time to see what Schafer can put out when left completely to his own devices...

Karloff said:
I think you meant "buggers". Or you have vastly different hopes and dreams than me... :p
I suppose if you only count the Kickstarters made by either people who have long standing quasi-celebrity status in the gaming community or are spiritual successors, remakes, or built onto the franchise of something extremely well known, then yeah. Unless you count the Leisure Suit Larry remake, or Shadowrun Returns.

It's not like I need both hands to count kickstarter games that I, personally, have backed that have released.

As far as Broken Age is concerned, it's a pretty good point and click adventure game, albeit short. There's a "twist" at the end that's actually pretty predictable if you do the boy's story first, or start switching after his second round at the ship console for the wolf.

Who wants to bet that the wolf is either his father or another knitted pal, merely playing a different "scenario"?

Razhem

Sep 9, 2008
kiri2tsubasa said:
I have to wonder, are they even going to break even with this thing at all? The money they received on kick-started was to the first part of the game (even then a lot of content was cut), now it is on steam for those that didn't back it at all. I guess that the sales of this will help fund the sequel. Is their any chance of profit in this at all?
It's a given this is going with a loss, probably a pretty big one since outside the kickstarter backers, I really doubt it will get that many extra sells, but they already overcommitment to it, so thems the breaks. Just hope their other projects aren't as bloated.

Sol_HSA

was gaming before you were born
Nov 25, 2008
Sgt. Sykes said:
Will be the new trend in games "Pay double for the first game, maybe get sequel for free"?
Personally, I backed the kickstarter for the documentary, and the game is a nice bonus..