Final Fantasy Character Designer Yoshida Joins Unsung Story

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Final Fantasy Character Designer Yoshida Joins Unsung Story

Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians' team has some beloved talent from Final Fantasy Tactics.

Former Square Enix character designer Akihiko Yoshida has joined the Unsung Story: Tale of the Guardians team, Playdek announced in a Kickstarter update. Yoshida will contribute character artwork to Unsung Story, joining Final Fantasy Tactics developer Yasumi Matsuno. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131330-Final-Fantasy-Tactics-Devs-Unsung-Story-Heads-to-Kickstarter]

"I am interested in the game concept of Unsung Story and it looks very exciting," Yoshida said in his introduction video. "I made a decision to participate. Please look forward to what I create."

Yoshida frequently collaborated with Matsuno, including work on Final Fantasy Tactics. Yoshida has also worked on other Final Fantasy titles, such as Final Fantasy XII, the 2006 remake of Final Fantasy III, and Final Fantasy: The Four Heroes of Light. Most recently, Yoshida designed the characters in Bravely Default, Square Enix's RPG on the 3DS, which will release in North America Feb. 7 and became available in Europe in December 2013.

Unsung Story is a tactical RPG for PC, Mac, Windows tablets, Linux, iOS, and Android. If it meets stretch goals, The game will be episodic [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131558-Unsung-Story-Kickstarter-Adds-PS4-Game-to-Stretch-Goals], chronicling a 77-year war.

Should Unsung Story meet its $1,000,000 stretch goal, Final Fantasy Tactics composer Hitoshi Sakimoto will join the team as well. The crowdfunding campaign's base goal is $600,000, of which $436,500 has been pledged so far. The game is expected to release in July 2015.

Source: Kickstarter [https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/482445197/unsung-story-tale-of-the-guardians/posts/732084]

loa

Jan 28, 2012
That's not the belts and zippers guy, right?
Please don't be that guy.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
loa said:
No that is Tetsuya Nomura, who I imagine at this point you'd need to claw from Square's dead body if you wanted him on your project.

OT: So they have 16 days to earn $162,906, can they do it?
I don't think they'll reach the stretch goal.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
loa said:
It's not. That's Tetsuya Nomura.

Akihiko Yoshida is responsible for the art of Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy XIV, Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy Tactics, and others.

He's easily my favorite artist to work on the Final Fantasy series.

Mistilteinn

Jul 14, 2012
Yes! I just became even more excited for this game. First Matsuno, now Yoshida? I'm really hoping they can hit the 1mil goal for Sakimoto, but they'd need to up their donations quite a bit for that.

FancyNick

Mar 4, 2013
I so want this game to be made! I hope they reach those goals, I've already dropped my $20

Crimsonmonkeywar

Oct 27, 2013
As soon as the end of the month hits....I'm all on this. Also, I really really really want the original FFT composer, but that stretch goal seems impossible at this point.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Ah Yoshida, probably the best character designer since Yoshitaka Amano. The guy's style is one of a kind and is just GORGEOUS to behold

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
Trishbot said:
loa said:
It's not. That's Tetsuya Nomura.

Akihiko Yoshida is responsible for the art of Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy XIV, Vagrant Story, Final Fantasy Tactics, and others.

He's easily my favorite artist to work on the Final Fantasy series.
Wow, I am NOT digging the noseless freaks in the top and bottom pictures. In fact, I think the guy might have a problem drawing faces, they all have such blank, featureless expressions. (On the other hand, his skills concerning anatomy and costume design are great.)

Still, my opinion: better than Tetsuya Nomura, not as good as Yoshitaka Amano.