UK: PS4 Outsells Xbox 1.5 to 1, Still Demands More

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
UK: PS4 Outsells Xbox 1.5 to 1, Still Demands More

4.2 million PS4s sold so far, and it hasn't even begun selling in Japan yet.

"I'm very proud we got our fair share of stock, but it's still not enough," says Sony UK MD Fergal Gara, talking about the PS4. "We want more, we need more. Retail is still not stocked fully." So it should come as no surprise that the PS4 is outselling Xbox One in the UK, by a factor of 1.5 to 1. Yes, there is a joke in there about someone buying half a PS4. Pretend it was told. Pretend it was wonderful. Now let's move on.

Sony's announced sales of 4.2 million units globally, and Gara expects that number to grow considerably, describing the sales numbers so far as a "suppressed figure." The PS4 still hasn't launched in Japan, and it still hasn't enough supply to meet demand in several of its major markets, including the UK.

Back in November last year analysts IHS [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/129578-Analyst-Predicts-PlayStation-4-Will-Outsell-Xbox-One] predicted that the PS4 would have the sales edge over the next four years, and would dominate in Europe, the UK and Japan. So far, the PS4 seems to be living up to IHS' expectations.

Source: VG24/7 [http://www.vg247.com/2014/01/30/ps4-stock-levels-in-the-uk-still-not-enough-says-sony/]

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
Erm, it might be rude of me to ask, but is there any actual evidence of this? It could very well be true, but excuse me if I don't believe the Sony (or Microsoft, if they did the same thing) rep when this is said without anything to back it up.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I can't find PS4's or xbone's around here either. It's really too bad either company couldn't keep up with demand.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
The only PS4 I saw over here in Canada-land was the one my cousin's bratty kid got for Xmas. No big deal really for me.
I don't think I'll be interested until Final Fantasy XV and the full version of MGSV Phantom Pain are out.

Kaymish

The Morally Bankrupt Weasel
Sep 10, 2008
i think the joke was that even half a PS4 is better than an Xbone however i have seen PS4's around here in ones and 2 in the the shops but they might be display boxes however Xbones are still piled in stacks 6 high

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
I've not seen a PS4 in my city in at least a month. As for Xbox Ones, I see them in all the stores around here in huge piles. Of course I'm waiting for a 3rd party to confirm numbers before I believe what Sony and Microsoft say for the sales, because you never know if they are fudging the truth.

RooksEye

Mar 17, 2009
As someone who works in video game retail in the US, I can safely say that PS4 is selling better than the Xbone, at least where I live. We get 1 or 2 PS4's in at a time and they sell almost immediately. We have about 10 Xbox One's and we can't seem to get rid of the damn things.

Mar 26, 2008
If what goes on in the EB in my area is common practice I'm hardly surprised. While I was waiting in line, the guy in front of me asked the sales assistant about buying an Xbox One. The sales assistant then spent the next five minutes telling him why he shouldn't buy and Xbox One and should buy a PS4.
"But I like the Forza games" the guy said at one stage.
"Well, there's going to be a new Gran Turismo game on the PS4.. wank.. wank.. wank.."

In the end, partially aggravated by being made to wait that long to be served, I told the sales assistant to "shut the fuck up and let the guy make up his own mind." This obviously led to an icy reception when it was my turn to be served.

True story.