Stolen Pixels #116: An Existentialist Crisis

Shamus Young

Jul 7, 2008
Stolen Pixels #116: An Existentialist Crisis

To chainsaw, or not to chainsaw: that is the question.

Read Full Article

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
I have to agree with the scoring system gripes. I find it amazing that no one was play-testing the game and pointed-out that it felt a little off-balance for there to be 50 ways to kill guys, but only 3 ways that scored any decent points. A direct violation of Rule 1 in my design philosophy for what makes a good game.

Mr Companion

Jul 27, 2009
My, that game does look indesipherable. It is a good thing that I have banished my wii into the corner to cry the rest of it's pitiful existence away. While I flog it for humiliating gamers worldwide with its painfully self-parody yet unironic adverts. So I dont need to suffer this game.

Whoa I have some issues with Nintendo, That was a nasty little rant right there. No worries, cool off, deep breaths.

Apr 28, 2008
Eh, I wasn't really bothered by the color scheme, I could see things just fine.

And I never noticed that the scoring system was like that. I was too busy gleefully killing people in so many ways, and haveing lots of fun to care.

In retrospect, I wonder how much points I got for impaling a guy, dropping a tire on him, ripping out his heart, and launching him into the moon with a catapult was worth.

fatpie42

May 17, 2008
But you've got it the wrong way round. I could see the damage I was inflicting on bad guys just fine. What I really COULDN'T see was what that guy was saying. The writing was so small!

As for the 'scoring system gripes', the point of the system was that killing bad guys using the right items in the in the correct order to get a big score was considerably more difficult than just killing them in the way that looks coolest. Naturally just slicing the bad guys to pieces looks awesome, but if you want to score well you are going to have to follow the rules. Sounds fair to me...

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
I haven't played Madworld, but if the score for the various moves is fixed then that's kind of retarded, especially since DMC had already solved that problem. Rather than reward certain moves it rewards mixing up your moves as much as possible.

Jagyr Ebonwood

Aug 19, 2008
"All of this could be fixed if they had adopted a "Tony Hawk" style scoring system. All moves are worth full points the first time you do them, and diminish in value each time after that. This would encourage the player to use their imagination a bit."

Yes yes yes. I often describe the gameplay to others as "like a skateboarding game, only instead of doing tricks, you're committing murder." Making the scoring system even more skate-like would improve the game.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Well the game does look a lot clearer when you are actually playing it, it's nowhere near that bad. As for the scoring system, I do agree somewhat. But to get the highest kill rating you do have to be doing something ludicrous, otherwise you just won't be getting it.

Bored Tomatoe

Aug 15, 2008
Jagyr Ebonwood said:
"All of this could be fixed if they had adopted a "Tony Hawk" style scoring system. All moves are worth full points the first time you do them, and diminish in value each time after that. This would encourage the player to use their imagination a bit."

Yes yes yes. I often describe the gameplay to others as "like a skateboarding game, only instead of doing tricks, you're committing murder." Making the scoring system even more skate-like would improve the game.
That reminds me of something Dethklok would say: "It's like skateboarding, only... with murder..."

Vect

Jul 22, 2009
I'd admit that the scoring system is pretty zonked out (I really don't think I've actually ever reached the highest level of "Violence" and don't have any intention). I do enjoy Howard and Bender-I mean Kreese's commentary and the Soundtrack is pretty good in my opinion even despite the lyrics being gleefully ultraviolent.

Thurmer

Jul 15, 2009
yea.... thats kinda completely wrong you can see yourself and other enemies fine in the game. cmon first bad stolen pixels? hopefully this wont be a recurring trend because i've been loving the rest

...the bus thing was pretty funny tho :p

VGFreak1225

Dec 21, 2008
The scoring system wasn't perfect, but it never gets in the way. I'm not the kind of guy who gets too hyped up about high scores. Unlike Tony Hawk, in MadWorld, you never really need to worry about piling on the points to continue. All you have to do is focus on exploring each area of the arena participating in the BloodBath Challenges when they are unlocked. The boss gets unlocked before you know it. I'd still rather a more refined system, but it doesn't get in the way too much.
Also, the game doesn't look nearly that bad. They actually did a pretty good job of defining each aspect of the environment. Truth be told, considering the concept, I don't think any other color scheme would have been as effective.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
That last panel was the best you have ever done
"Yey I Get to be a bus! Vroom Vroom Meep Meep!"