GOG's Catalogue Adds the Classic Shooter SiN

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
GOG's Catalogue Adds the Classic Shooter SiN

GOG's SiN Gold package costs $9.99 and includes the Wages of Sin expansion.

While it can be a bit cliché to say things like "they just don't make them like they used to," there are occasions where the adage is appropriate. Take first-person shooters for example. While the core concept of killing things with imaginary guns is obviously still alive and well, many of the genre's most prominent mechanics have changed drastically over the years. I'm not saying modern FPS games aren't as good as those from yesteryear. I'm just saying (in my most curmugdeonly old man voice) that they don't make them like they used to.

If you want an example of how FPS games used to be done, try heading over to GOG where the retro-centric retailer has just re-released the 1998 shooter SiN. The <a href=http://www.gog.com/game/sin_gold>GOG version is priced at $9.99 and include the complete Wages of Sin expansion originally released in 1999. Dropping players into the role of a futuristic security officer, it sets you on an action-packed and intriguing mission against the corrupt CEO of SinTEK Industries. Gamers who buy the GOG version will also receive the games' manuals along with some other nifty goodies. As with all GOG products, the SiN Gold package is completely DRM-free.

SiN isn't a game you hear spoken about too often these days. That said, it was well regarded back when it first released and if you're up for a slightly more classic shooter experience you might want give it a try. Of course, if you're not sure about SiN there are plenty of <a href=http://www.gog.com/game/deus_ex>other classic shooters <a href=http://www.gog.com/game/duke_nukem_3d_atomic_edition>available on the site as well.

Source: <a href=http://www.gog.com/news/release_sin_gold>GOG

Ichigo

Nov 13, 2012
But i´ll say FPS aren´t as good as they used to be. One simple reason for that. Most modern FPS don´t allow you to carry many weapons any more. Most games give you two you can carry. If you want a different one you have to throw one of your existing ones away. Most of the time you just change one MG for another anyway, so its pointless. In a game there the mechanic is repetetive as hell the only fun thing to do is killing people in different ways WITH DIFFERENT WEAPONS. Adding crap like drive around in a car along a corridor doesn´t make the game better. Neither does ducking behind chesthigh cover that magicly is to be found everywhere. Its just removing more gameplay!!!

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
*I derped, it's the intro* BTW based on the screenshots the game is really NSFW, there's a poster of a naked woman.

That aside it looks like an alright game, nice graphics, nice way at least one enemy reacts to damage, might have to check it out.

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
We used to play this game lunch time in the school computer room for years, and not even the full game, just the demo with about 4 levels for multiplayer.

Tried it recently and unfortunately it could never hold up to nostalgia.

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
Xan Krieger said:
*I derped, it's the intro* BTW based on the screenshots the game is really NSFW, there's a poster of a naked woman.

That aside it looks like an alright game, nice graphics, nice way at least one enemy reacts to damage, might have to check it out.
It could be considered NSFW for sure. In the later parts of the original game there are vaguely penis shaped statues that bob up and down.

Unfortunately two things really damaged this game on release. First it was buggy as hell and second it was competing against Half-Life. It got better about the bugs after a shit-ton of patches that were no fun to download on dail-up though.

WindKnight

Quiet, Odd Sort.
Legacy
Jul 8, 2009
Cephiro
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately my strongest memories of the game are a cutscene where the hero is told that the Evil Alexis Sinclair, is indeed the evil genius behind it all, and responds with 'what, a hot piece of ass like her? No Way!'

I don't think there was any way they could have made me feel more embarrassed to be playing as this guy or the game itself.

Xan Krieger said:

If they haven't updated to steams slightly edited versions, the female multiplayer 'pain' skins have one nipple exposed. So, you have a beaten, bloodied woman with one breast poking out.

Jack Nief

Nov 18, 2011
"New Dawn my ass you wacky *****!"
Ahhhh the memories. I miss this game and all its violent glory.

Ratty

Jan 21, 2014
I think "Shogo: Mobile Armor Division" would be a game on GoG closer to the interests of those who like SiN than Deus Ex or Duke3D. It's another game that wow'd critics and then was swiftly forgotten when Half-Life came out a week or so later. Besides, since the Megaton Edition of Duke3D is compatible with the Steam Workshop and the multiplayer has recently been fixed it's the best version to get.

Might grab this next time it goes on a deep sale. For now I think I'll just dig out my old flea market copy of SiN: The Movie and finally watch it.

Tiamat666

Level 80 Legendary Postlord
Dec 4, 2007
They certainly don't make them like they used to. Not to diminish the games we have today, because we do have great FPS these days, like Bioshock and Crysis. But they are great on a different level - because of their intricate plots, gripping storylines or marvelous environments and graphical achievements.

But I kind of miss the original Doom type of shooter, with its surreal levels, monstrous hordes of enemies, crazy weaponry, puzzles and secrets filled with ammo and powerups. I can't think of a modern shooter that comes close to the straightforward, hellish fun of playing Doom.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Man this game brings back memories.

I remember going to net caffee in a garage quite close to my place and play this game in multiplayer and it was awesome.