Ronia the Robber's Daughter to be Directed by Goro Miyazaki

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Ronia the Robber's Daughter to be Directed by Goro Miyazaki

Goro Miyazaki's anime adaptation Ronia the Robber's Daughter tells a story of familial love and bonds of friendship.

Studio Ghibli's foray into a TV anime series will begin with Ronia the Robber's Daughter, an adaptation of the Swedish fantasy book for children. Directing will be Goro Miyazaki.

Goro Miyzaki is Hayao Miyazaki's son, and he's already directed a couple Studio Ghibli films, Tales from Earthsea and From up on Poppy Hill. Ronia the Robber's Daughter will be both his first time directing a television anime series and Studio Ghibli's first television series.

The anime is based on the book of the same name by Astrid Lindgren, who is best known for her book series Pippi Longstocking. Ronia the Robber's Daughter revolves around the daughter of a chief of bandits who live in a castle within a forest. Ronia studies the creatures of the forest, but the story is more than a coming of age tale. "Ronia the Robber's Daughter is a story not just about a girl who grows into adulthood, but it is also a story about the love and growth between a parent and child, and a story about the bonds between friends," Miyazaki said. "My goal is to create a work that everyone, from children to adults, will be able to enjoy."

The anime adaptation of Ronia the Robber's Daughter will air this fall. The book was first published in 1981 and has seen film, musical, and stage adaptations.

Source: Anime News Network [http://mantan-web.jp/2014/01/31/20140130dog00m200097000c.html]

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
OH MY FUCKING GOD, Ghibli is doing Ronia the Robber's Daughter! =DDDDD

Oh my God, Goro Miyazaki is directing it. D=

Couldn't they get the guy who directed Arrietty for it? He at least had some skill. No offense Goro.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
You make one bad movie and people never forget it. Poor guy. Earthsea was bad, yeah, but the way it just seemed to alienate him from everyone else is sad.

webkilla

Feb 2, 2011
Oh I remember the original sweedish live-action adaptation of this story... its ok (for its time)

It will be very interesting to see Miyazaki's spin on the story - it has many things he can use

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013

OT: I don't know much about the subject material, but Studio Ghibli has always made gold. Can't wait for it.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
You make one bad movie and people never forget it. Poor guy. Earthsea was bad, yeah, but the way it just seemed to alienate him from everyone else is sad.
It wasn't just that it was bad. Goro's situation feels like he's directing solely because he's expected to take over the reigns from his father. I haven't seen From up on Poppy Hill, but you don't even hear people talk about that movie. I don't think it even got a DVD release over here, and that's a first for a Ghibli movie. So it too must not have turned many heads.

I don't necessarily blame him, I blame Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki just as well, if it is as I suspect.

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
Wow, two news posts relating to Studio Ghibli in the same day.

Here's hoping this turns out good. Seems like Goro has some big shoes to fill.

Quiotu

Mar 7, 2008
Casual Shinji said:
Soviet Heavy said:
It wasn't just that it was bad. Goro's situation feels like he's directing solely because he's expected to take over the reigns from his father. I haven't seen From up on Poppy Hill, but you don't even hear people talk about that movie. I don't think it even got a DVD release over here, and that's a first for a Ghibli movie. So it too must not have turned many heads.

I don't necessarily blame him, I blame Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki just as well, if it is as I suspect.
Goro could've gone wherever he wanted to, and basically went with Ghibli because it was the easiest place to start. And yet, it's not... because you're being compared to Hayao, and people forget that Hayao didn't start being perfect. Goro didn't have to be an animator either, in fact Hayao has another son, Keisuke, who isn't anywhere in animation. I think Hayao at best needs to culture his kid's talent, knowing he'll always be compared to him, and also probably knowing no other animation studio would DARE hire him as long as Ghibli wanted him.

Still, one has to wonder if Ghibli stays the same studio and will persevere without Hayao. I hope Hayao's thought a lot about his company's future.

AnnaIME

Empress of Baked Goods
Dec 15, 2009
Chaosritter said:
I wonder if they're going to use the original story or one of the politically "corrected" editions.

The japanese aren't very sensitive when it comes to old racial stereotypes, controversial names and titles (example: Pippi Longstocking's father, the Negro King), but they might remove or change potentially controversial elements to avoid problems on the western market.
Which parts of Ronja do you see as problematic?

Or are you confusing Ronja with Pippi?

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
Hey, maybe this means there's still some hope for that cancelled Pippi movie [http://comicsalliance.com/pippi-longstocking-film-hayao-miyazaki-astrid-lindgren-studio-ghibli/]!

Also:
Casual Shinji said:
OH MY FUCKING GOD, Ghibli is doing Ronia the Robber's Daughter! =DDDDD

Oh my God, Goro Miyazaki is directing it. D=

Couldn't they get the guy who directed Arrietty for it? He at least had some skill. No offense Goro.
Goro directed Earthsea against his father's advice, and it earned him a 'Worst Director' - award. However, his later work, Poppy Hill, took home an 'Animation of the Year' - award, so I say he deserves a break.

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Aw man, Ronja Rövardotter! Major nostalgia gut punch.

I won't immediately write it off just because Goro is handling it.
Tales of Earthsea wasn't great but it seems like kind of a tough thing to handle on your first go I think.
Haven't seen From Up on Poppy Hill yet but it seems to have gotten generally favorable reviews from what I can see.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

gizmo2300

Jul 10, 2009
Actually, if this goes well I could see The Brothers Lionheart going really well for such a fantasy based studio. It has an amazing blend of tragedy and childlike wonder

Someone Depressing

Jan 16, 2011
A folk tale from Sweden?

Awesome!

It's directed by someone who has potential?

Cool!

Who's that person?

Goro Miyazaki!

*leaves*

Earthsea's biggest problem, really, was that there was simply too much responsibility on just one inexperienced person. And this'll probably be the same.

soren7550

Overly Proud New Yorker
Dec 18, 2008
Maybe it's because I never saw Tales from Earthsea or From Up on Poppy Hill, but I'm optimistic about this.

trollnystan

I'm back, baby, & still dancing!
Dec 27, 2010
Chaosritter said:
AnnaIME said:
Which parts of Ronja do you see as problematic?

Or are you confusing Ronja with Pippi?
It was a general question with an example, most of Lindgren's older works are being cleansed from everything that might offend somebody over here.
I doubt Ronja needs any "cleansing" as you call it; it takes place in an obscure medieval forest, not much to be racist about. Pippi is another thing entirely.

OT: I haven't watched Earthsea - because I heard it was crap - but I did watch Howl's Flying Castle - another Western children's book adapted to Ghibli anime - and even though it deviated A LOT from the book I quite liked it. Ronja however is dearer to my heart. It is one of THE defining books for me from my childhood. Loved it and the TV show/film to pieces. I don't know if I'd even dare glance at this if it's going to be done by the same fellah who did Earthsea in case he fucks this one up as he seems to have done that one.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
Soviet Heavy said:

I've seen that movie available in almost every major retailer near me, and I don't live in a very anime friendly area.

In any case I'm sure he could be fine in time, if he doesn't try to be his dad (honestly, who could?). Grave of the Fireflies was great, and it's unique in Studio Ghibli. Goro just needs to find his own voice, and in time he could become decent. Also, I believe Poppy Hill got decent reviews (I admit I haven't seen it). It has an 83% score on rotten tomatoes, while Earthsea has, like, a 40%. He's not a visionary by any means, but I think he could become good.