Italian Jedi Get All The Best Lightsaber Schools

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Italian Jedi Get All The Best Lightsaber Schools

Ever wanted to be a Jedi? Do you live in Milan, Rome, Turin, Genoa, Varese, Pesaro or Vercelli?

Yes, Lightsaber School is a real thing, but if you want to be part of it then I hope you live in Italy. Gaze upon the shiny that is LudoSport, an Italian school for aspiring Jedi Knights. The fighting style's a mix of medieval, Kendo and film-based techniques, and the sabers are as real as the students can manage without actually making something that could sever limbs.

"It helps distract me after a hard day's work," says student Valeria Ricciardi, "and also keeps me fit!" The sabers aren't cheap, at about 200 Euro ($270) a shot, but thankfully the only other gear you need is a sweatsuit, indoor sneakers and protective gloves. There's no choreography involved; the whole point is to create a working fighting technique, and if you're wondering what that looks like, take a gander at the Shadow Team [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0hihKbFgn0].

The school's already got seven branches, including its head office in Milan, with more on the way.

Source: LudoSport [http://www.ludosport.net/en/]

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
That's totally awesome. I'd totally be up for that if it were in the UK, provided no one's taking it too seriously.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
If only there was a UK branch of these guys, would totally take it up!

Epic_Bubble

Oct 19, 2013
So its pretty much fancy kendo/fencing.

Ill be honest it looks a heck load more interesting that the two sports I just mentioned. Quick someone mail the Olympic games!

I mean come on who doesn't want to rock some Shii Cho,Makashi or even the pro Juyo / Vaapad

Stefan46664

Aug 16, 2013
Wait, so... This is all new to you guys? o.o
I'm Italian, a couple of my friends have been practicing this sport for years, but I thought we imported it from the US...

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Epic_Bubble said:
So its pretty much fancy kendo/fencing.

Ill be honest it looks a heck load more interesting that the two sports I just mentioned.
Sadly, a good practitioner of either of those two would tear through those guys like nothing. Their stances are full of openings and all that twirling about leaves them completely unguarded for a quick thrust. Seriously, I've seen them lower their weapon while still within the opponents striking range.

It might be fancy and impressive, but a 'working fighting technique' it is not.