Irrational Confirms BioShock's Burial at Sea Episode 2 Launch Date

Karloff

Oct 19, 2009
Irrational Confirms BioShock's Burial at Sea Episode 2 Launch Date

So, who would you like to meet? How about everyone?

"In Burial at Sea - Episode Two, we are delivering a story that involves nearly every major character from the original BioShock and BioShock Infinite," says Ken Levine. "It is a story that will give gamers a new perspective on the BioShock universe and conclude the story of BioShock Infinite and Burial at Sea." Were you wondering when that was going to happen? Is March 25th good enough for you?

But will it play as Elizabeth [https://twitter.com/IGLevine/status/430181836179116032], so at least you have that to look forward to.

Why is everything in March, you ask? Because March is lovely this time of year, that's why.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Two things:

First, playing as a specific character is a bit silly in an FPS. I mean, you may as well just be playing with a new skin for your hands unless there is a major difference in weaponry and abilities available to you.

Second, I dunno. I'm about an hour into Burial At Sea (just got started yesterday) and I can't shake the feeling that I'm just hearing the wind-up to a punchline I've already heard. I suppose I should beat it before forming impressions, but that's the first one I got.

gibboss28

Feb 2, 2008
Cool, I'll reinstall the game and play through the first part when its out. I got hold of the season pass for something like 4/5 quid at the end of the Christmas sale. Not a fan of season passes but for that price I'll go with it.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
and when it becomes more appropriately priced for its length, i'll buy it. if we assume it's a similar length to the other DLC, then it's aroud £15 for 5 hours worth of content in total? maybe 7 at a push.

i'll wait for a sale

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
The only thing I really care much about is whether at some point one of these DLC will let us fight Songbird in an actual boss battle, I don't really care for how. It's the one thing that the original game was really missing.

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
I, too, got the Bioshock Infinite Season Pass for really cheap on Steam, and I was more than satisfied even with just the first episode of Burial at Sea for the price at which I got it. I don't know how I feel about playing as Elizabeth.
Especially seeing as I started harbouring dislike for Elizabeth after she killed the Booker in Burial at Sea. I mean, the storyline is confusing as all hell to begin with, but apparently she's working to stop any Comstocks from rising up in any other alternate dimensions, but...y'know, multiverse theory is infinite. There's an infinite number of universes, so what's the point in even trying? Also, I might've gone through it without focusing enough, or my memory might not be good enough, but...how did trying to save that Little Sister prove to Beth that that Booker deserved death?

I'm not as bitter towards Beth Prime, but the concept art released for Episode 2 shows that we prob'ly will be playing as the Burial at Sea Elizabeth in Episode 2.
But we'll see when it comes out. Either way, I'm a fan of the style of the games, the worlds and the gameplay and the atmosphere, and I'm glad to get another slice of the pie. For the low price I got the season pass for, I'm happy, and excited for this.

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
So they're going to do all of that in 5-6 hours huh?
Well, I'm game, but I'm prepped for disappointment.

pspman45

Sep 1, 2010
After how bad Episode 1 was despite the stupidly long development time, I can't say I have my hopes up

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
suitepee7 said:
and when it becomes more appropriately priced for its length, i'll buy it. if we assume it's a similar length to the other DLC, then it's aroud £15 for 5 hours worth of content in total? maybe 7 at a push.

i'll wait for a sale
Keep an eye on steam's sales for the regular Bioshock Infinite. I was able to grab the season pass for five bucks during the Christmas sale since it got marked with the lowered price by accident. Steam blunders like that quite often with DLC. Happened with the Civ-5-Addons as well

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Well since you asked nicely, then NO! No March 25th is not good enough! Not since that teaser showed Atlas pimping about. Atlas, the man who never existed and no one ever knew him, is kicking about doing not fake things.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
Fraught said:
I, too, got the Bioshock Infinite Season Pass for really cheap on Steam, and I was more than satisfied even with just the first episode of Burial at Sea for the price at which I got it. I don't know how I feel about playing as Elizabeth.
Especially seeing as I started harbouring dislike for Elizabeth after she killed the Booker in Burial at Sea. I mean, the storyline is confusing as all hell to begin with, but apparently she's working to stop any Comstocks from rising up in any other alternate dimensions, but...y'know, multiverse theory is infinite. There's an infinite number of universes, so what's the point in even trying? Also, I might've gone through it without focusing enough, or my memory might not be good enough, but...how did trying to save that Little Sister prove to Beth that that Booker deserved death?

I'm not as bitter towards Beth Prime, but the concept art released for Episode 2 shows that we prob'ly will be playing as the Burial at Sea Elizabeth in Episode 2.
But we'll see when it comes out. Either way, I'm a fan of the style of the games, the worlds and the gameplay and the atmosphere, and I'm glad to get another slice of the pie. For the low price I got the season pass for, I'm happy, and excited for this.
Spoilers ahoy!

I think you missed the part where THAT particular "Booker" wasn't "Booker".

Not played it in a little while but as far as the story details go from what I remember: It was a Comstock who was NOT successful in pulling baby Elizabeth properly through the portal away from Booker when he brought her through from an alternate reality. And instead of her finger being cut off by the closing portal it was her head, killing her. In order to get away from that and his guilt he made the Lutece's open a portal to Rapture where he went through; losing his memory in the process like Booker did in Bioshock Infinite, and taking the name Booker to start a new life.

He wasn't a Booker (i.e. one who had rejected the baptism and avoided "catching religion"). He was a Comstock, but he's hiding from the terrible thing he had done. Elizabeth was out to punish him presumably because his "crime" is worse than most of the others in that his actions led to her own alternate-reality baby death.

Yes its confusing.

Anyway I'm absurdly hyped for this. :)

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Silentpony said:
Well since you asked nicely, then NO! No March 25th is not good enough! Not since that teaser showed Atlas pimping about. Atlas, the man who never existed and no one ever knew him, is kicking about doing not fake things.
Atlas was real, in a sense. Fontaine was pretending to be him. He changed his appearance, his accent, everything about himself to make himself into Atlas. Remember, the audio log where you find out what happened to Ryan's girlfriend proves it. She walks in while Fontaine is breaking his Atlas persona, and he kills her to keep it secret. You then find her audio log on her corpse.

I'm very excited to play this game. I liked the first Episode, although it was on the short side. This one holds a lot of promise and I'm looking forward to seeing how it all plays out. I'll be sad when it's over.

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
Lightspeaker said:
Fraught said:
-snip-
Ohhh, thanks for clearing that up for me. My memory's pretty spotty regarding Burial at Sea, and I did remember the part where Elizabeth got killed by having the portal decapitate her, buuut I seemed to have completely forgotten the part where the Luteces sent Booker through a portal to Rapture. I dunno how I imagined Rapture would tie into the whole thing if he wasn't sent there FROM the 1912 world of Columbia, but yeah.

Also, since you seem to know a bit more about the whole story, I've a few questions to ask which I hope aren't too stupid. First off, how does Elizabeth know this Booker will turn into Comstock? I mean...the Booker in Infinite didn't "atone for his sins" at the baptism and wasn't reborn as Comstock. If this one lost his memory and was sent to Rapture, a time and place which, admittedly, is a lot less faith-driven (as strongly evidenced by, y'know, the first two Bioshocks), then how does Beth know he's going to turn into Comstock? Was it said that this Booker was sent to Rapture after events identical to the original Infinite? And if so, memory loss would create so many variables and possibilities in his future it'd be impossible to know if he'd turn to the path of Comstock. And you mentioned something about uhh...him losing his memory in Infinite too? I'm not sure what you particularly meant with that. Mind jogging my memory? But anyway, yeah, that's what gave me the sense of sinister malevolence coming from her.

And uhh...I get that she'd be mad over her alternate reality baby self getting killed, but...as the name of the game alludes, there are an infinite number of universes, so there's also an infinite number of universes where the events leading up to Burial at Sea from her baby death are different, but where she still dies in-between the two portals. What is Elizabeth...trying to accomplish by killing this one Booker who got sent to Rapture, into a completely different locale, with different ideals and different receptiveness to a Comstock-like figure, and might've just lived his life with his little flashbacks here and there and losing little girls, but in Rapture, where he would hardly gather the kind of traction he did in Infinite, as Comstock, as opposed to literally the infinite number of other ones running around killing Elizabeths left and right?

(Sorry in advance if I seem to be missing something important here and asking stupid questions. It's been a while since I played Infinite and a shorter, but still quite a long time since I played BaS.)

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Fraught said:
Lightspeaker said:
Fraught said:
-snip-
Ohhh, thanks for clearing that up for me. My memory's pretty spotty regarding Burial at Sea, and I did remember the part where Elizabeth got killed by having the portal decapitate her, buuut I seemed to have completely forgotten the part where the Luteces sent Booker through a portal to Rapture. I dunno how I imagined Rapture would tie into the whole thing if he wasn't sent there FROM the 1912 world of Columbia, but yeah.

Also, since you seem to know a bit more about the whole story, I've a few questions to ask which I hope aren't too stupid. First off, how does Elizabeth know this Booker will turn into Comstock? I mean...the Booker in Infinite didn't "atone for his sins" at the baptism and wasn't reborn as Comstock. If this one lost his memory and was sent to Rapture, a time and place which, admittedly, is a lot less faith-driven (as strongly evidenced by, y'know, the first two Bioshocks), then how does Beth know he's going to turn into Comstock? Was it said that this Booker was sent to Rapture after events identical to the original Infinite? And if so, memory loss would create so many variables and possibilities in his future it'd be impossible to know if he'd turn to the path of Comstock. And you mentioned something about uhh...him losing his memory in Infinite too? I'm not sure what you particularly meant with that. Mind jogging my memory? But anyway, yeah, that's what gave me the sense of sinister malevolence coming from her.

And uhh...I get that she'd be mad over her alternate reality baby self getting killed, but...as the name of the game alludes, there are an infinite number of universes, so there's also an infinite number of universes where the events leading up to Burial at Sea from her baby death are different, but where she still dies in-between the two portals. What is Elizabeth...trying to accomplish by killing this one Booker who got sent to Rapture, into a completely different locale, with different ideals and different receptiveness to a Comstock-like figure, and might've just lived his life with his little flashbacks here and there and losing little girls, but in Rapture, where he would hardly gather the kind of traction he did in Infinite, as Comstock, as opposed to literally the infinite number of other ones running around killing Elizabeths left and right?

(Sorry in advance if I seem to be missing something important here and asking stupid questions. It's been a while since I played Infinite and a shorter, but still quite a long time since I played BaS.)
The Rapture Booker wasn't going to turn into a Comstock, he already was Comstock in his universe. He accidentally killed what was to be his version of Elizabeth and was consumed by remorse enough to ask the Luttice duo to send him away so he could forget everything he had done.

So by 'running away from his sins' again he becomes a valid target. I don't know why he suddenly stopped existing due to the whole 'smother a birth' thing but it could be due to him not existing in his universe but another, necessitating Elizabeth having to hunt him down.

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
Ed130 said:
Fraught said:
Lightspeaker said:
Fraught said:
-snip-

The Rapture Booker wasn't going to turn into a Comstock, he already was Comstock in his universe. He accidentally killed what was to be his version of Elizabeth and was consumed by remorse enough to ask the Luttice duo to send him away so he could forget everything he had done.

So by 'running away from his sins' again he becomes a valid target. I don't know why he suddenly stopped existing due to the whole 'smother a birth' thing but it could be due to him not existing in his universe but another, necessitating Elizabeth having to hunt him down.
Still, though. If the Elizabeth in this universe was killed in the portal, that means it's Elizabeth from another alternate reality "hunting him down", so to speak (maybe even...Beth Prime, I think?), but it's still pretty silly. I mean, there's a case to be made from multiple sides about this multiverse thing, but uhh...like I said, there are infinite possibilities as to how this can play out. Why is Elizabeth jumping to one of the sextillions of alternate universes to hunt down this one Booker, who, by all appearances, was just gonna live his life drinking himself to an early grave, with no path to gaining power like he did in Infinite, no nothing. I understand he was already Comstock, killed his Elizabeth and all that stuff, being a valid target and stuff, but what I have a hard time understanding is Elizabeth's perspective.

There's no way every alternate reality Beth will take care of Comstock, and I still don't get why Beth Prime is bothering with harmless..."Comstocks" sent to Rapture. Revenge for killing her, sure, but ultimately futile, as like with everything else, her death happens in an infinite number of universes, including the one in Burial at Sea.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Playing as Elizabeth should hopefully open up different gaming possibilities (stealthier perhaps) and meeting the original Bioshock characters with their own models instead of recycled splicer skins does sound nice (one of the things I found really disappointing with the original, felt lazy).

So maybe I'll plug my PS3 back in to play some Bioshock goodness.