Drakengard 3 Receives NA Release Date, Pre-Order Options

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Drakengard 3 Receives NA Release Date, Pre-Order Options

Drakengard 3 will be coming to America and Europe on May 20 and 21st.

Drakengard 3 launched in Japan back in 2013. Much to the chagrin of western JRPG fans however, its publishers at Square Enix have kept fairly mum on exactly when its wider western release would take place. That being the case, gamers hoping to get their claws on the game can rejoice today thanks to a new announcement from the company confirming a May 20th American release date with a European launch following the next day.

Along with the game's release date, Square Enix has also unveiled pre-order options that will reward customers with more bonus content the sooner they purchase the game. For instance, gamers who purchase an advance copy before March 4th will receive three bits of bonus content that include two secret items and Japanese Voice Over DLC. The second and third items will, in turn, be revealed on March 4th and April 9th. Pre-orders made after those dates however, will only receive two and then one of the bonus items.

An additional collector's edition is also being planned that will include a prequel novella, a soundtrack sampler, premium packaging and even more in-game content in addition to the time-sensitive items. Only 5,000 copies of the collector's edition will be produced and it will cost $79.99.

The take away from all of this, of course, is that if you're absolutely sure you're going to want Drakengard 3, you should probably pre-order it soon to get the most for your money. That being the case, we can't help but wonder if Square Enix might be making things just a little too complicated with its rewards. What do you think? Are these time-sensitive pre-orders a good idea or should the publisher have kept things a bit more simple?

Source: PlayStation Blog

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
feels exploity, really

if they can't make sales on the merit of their games, then there's not really much reason to do it, is there

what about future customers? do we bar the content off forever to them? short term gains cost us all in the future

loa

Jan 28, 2012
Different language options are now being sold as DLC?
What next, graphic options DLC? Play in 1080p for only $9.99?

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Japanese language track as a pre-order DLC bonus? Please tell me I'm reading that wrong.
It's actually a big deal to some people, believe it or not. I have seen a great deal of people saying they would boycott a game because it didn't include the original Japanese voices.

OT: Time sensitive pre-orders. Yeah... I am having difficulties to express how I feel about that and I am one of those people who don't see anything wrong about pre-orders. This is something I can't really manage to wrap my head around.

I am certainly not going to pre-order this game, that's for sure. If they want my money they should at least tell me what I am buying. Time sensitive pre-ordering is bad. Time sensitive pre-order with hidden rewards... well fuck you Square.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
I?m one of the people who pleading for Japanese publishers/developers to release the original Japanese voice overs with their games.
The reason for this is that first off it is then mostly synchronized with the lips and next is that usually the Japanese voice actors are, like in Anime as well, way more into it then their counterparts of other languages.
The usual excuse I mostly hear why the Japanese voice are not there is ?there is some licensing issue at work? for example having to pay extra royalties and stuff to publish these voice overs outside of Japan.
I think it is mostly bullshit however. Just change your policy/contracts before starting to work on it. It is not like these wishes are new, people have been wishing for original subs since forever.
Not to mention it is apparently no problem at all to release the English sub worldwide?

Making it a *paid DLC? Now come the fuck on will you! You created this content for the original game already! It is not like you had to pay more because of it. This is just blatant greed!
As for the two other yet to be announced DLCs:
This is the next level of bullshit preorder practice. ?Preorder now to get some random stuff you know nothing about!?
? WTF?
Preorders need to die.

*Edit: Making it a free DLC is okay if there is no space on the disc or it was an afterthought or whatever.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Yopaz said:
It's actually a big deal to some people, believe it or not.
Yes, and that's why I think it's strange that it's DLC. Pre-order DLC no less. Time-limited pre-order DLC.

Ishigami said:
The usual excuse I mostly hear why the Japanese voice are not there is ?there is some licensing issue at work? for example having to pay extra royalties and stuff to publish these voice overs outside of Japan.
I think it is mostly bullshit however.
One needs very little to confirm it's bullshit. It seems exceedingly unlikely that there is any such barrier when so many games do/did include both, and you have DVD media which has multi-language tracks all over the place.
loa said:
Different language options are now being sold as DLC?
What next, graphic options DLC? Play in 1080p for only $9.99?
Well, one of the big publisher's execs had talked about selling the ending as DLC, so why not?

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Are the other Drakengard games any good? Been looking into it and not sure if I should go and play them.

Bleidd Whitefalcon

Mar 8, 2012
Marik2 said:
Are the other Drakengard games any good? Been looking into it and not sure if I should go and play them.
Haven't played them myself but I have seen LPs of both games. My recommendation based off of those: don't do it. Just don't.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Bleidd Whitefalcon said:
Marik2 said:
Haven't played them myself but I have seen LPs of both games. My recommendation based off of those: don't do it. Just don't.
Kinda heard this is a love it or hate it series

anthony87

Aug 13, 2009
Marik2 said:
If you like the Dynasty Warrior style play of games then you'll enjoy it.

But my god is it bleak. It's the first game I remember making me go cold inside.

Yagami_Kira

May 18, 2012
Has to be pre-ordered from square enix store. Which costs at a minimum 7 dollars for shipping.
Shipping rates for standard edition to continental US:
5-7 days: 7.99
3-5 days: 13.09
2 day: 18.99
Release date: 26.99

Shipping costs for collector's edition to continental US:

5-7 days: 11.99
3-5 days: 13.99
2 day: 19.99
Release date: 28.99

For those rates, it'd better be hand delivered by a diamond bikini wearing supermodel.

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
Marik2 said:
Bleidd Whitefalcon said:
Marik2 said:
Kinda heard this is a love it or hate it series
Gameplay for the first is shit, mediocre for the second. Picture Dynasty Warriors, but worse. Then, for the flying segments, picture Panzer Dragoon... but worse.

Neither one has a good story, but the second is just bad whereas the first is batshit insane. It's ludicrously grim and full of weird stuff (particularly in the NG+ which actually changes the plot).

It's probably worth playing just for the spectacle and its delicate handling of the issue of child soldiers.

There's an optional mission in which you murder a platoon of child soldiers as a fairy encourages you, a paedophile begs you to stop and the children scream out for their mothers. Somehow this was worth a PEGI 16+ - same age rating as Spiderman: Shattered Dimensions!

Nier is a sort of alternative sequel to Drakengard (specifically, its fifth ending) and that's probably the one you should play. It's equally weird, but much better written and much more moving. Gameplay is better, too, though still not fantastic.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
I'd love to get that, but with all this shitty DLC stuff I might not even bother. Maybe when it becomes a lot cheaper, or a version with all the DLC comes along I'll pick it up.

Marik2 said:
If you like Dynasty Warriors style over the top combat then you'll probably like this too. Thing about Drakengard 1 (from what I remember (and I can't speak for 2 because I never played it)) is that the maps are absolutely huge compared to DW's. And you can also fly on a dragon and scorch massive armies down below, as well as attack huge castles rather than little outposts. It has some RPG elements to it too if you like that kind of thing, like leveling up stats and skills, as well as finding new weapons to use (and possibly level up, but don't quote me on that).

It's also not quite as silly as DW's though, even more far fetched yes, but silly, no.

I'd say it's at least worth checking out. You can pick number 1 up for 99 pence on Amazon.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Marik2 said:
I love the first one but the second was... toned down in the weird department. Kind of like the tone shift of Valkyria Chronicles 1 to it's sequel.

The combat can get on people's nerves though I enjoyed it thoroughly. It's very grindy if you go for 100% completion.

...Hmmm, not sure what else to say without going into spoiler territory.

I highly recommend the first game.

cursedseishi said:
Marik2 said:
Coming in fresh, I'd recommend Drakengard 2 over 1, simply due to playability. The first game hasn't aged well at all when it comes down to how it controls as well as mechanics. Leveling weapons in the first game was much more tedious, it feels more stiff and tanky, and overall the presentation of 1 is well below what 2 looks like.
This is also true.

You wouldn't be missing too much either, asides from Caim's and Angelus's backstory, but 2 is compartmentalized well enough that it won't matter completely (though it does help to have familiarity with the first game though like I have).
Ehhh, I think the story is worth the effort. I believe the story holds more weight if you're the one playing but check out a playthrough on youtube if you decide not to play Drakengard 1.

[small]Sorry cursedseishi, I just quoted you to offer a counterpoint to Marik2.[/small]

Yagami_Kira

May 18, 2012
-Dragmire- said:
Marik2 said:
I love the first one but the second was... toned down in the weird department. Kind of like the tone shift of Valkyria Chronicles 1 to it's sequel.

The combat can get on people's nerves though I enjoyed it thoroughly. It's very grindy if you go for 100% completion.

cursedseishi said:
Marik2 said:
Coming in fresh, I'd recommend Drakengard 2 over 1, simply due to playability. The first game hasn't aged well at all when it comes down to how it controls as well as mechanics. Leveling weapons in the first game was much more tedious, it feels more stiff and tanky, and overall the presentation of 1 is well below what 2 looks like.
This is also true.

You wouldn't be missing too much either, asides from Caim's and Angelus's backstory, but 2 is compartmentalized well enough that it won't matter completely (though it does help to have familiarity with the first game though like I have).
Ehhh, I think the story is worth the effort. I believe the story holds more weight if you're the one playing but check out a playthrough on youtube if you decide not to play Drakengard 1.

[small]Sorry cursedseishi, I just quoted you to offer a counterpoint to Marik2.[/small]
You mention playthroughs but not The Dark Ids amazing let's plays of drakengard 1/2/Nier? Heaaathen

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Yagami_Kira said:
-Dragmire- said:
Marik2 said:

cursedseishi said:
Marik2 said:
This is also true.

You mention playthroughs but not The Dark Ids amazing let's plays of drakengard 1/2/Nier? Heaaathen
I've never seen a single LP of Drakengard, I only made the suggestion if they planned on skipping the game.

My heathen self also doesn't know who Dark Id is.

Yagami_Kira

May 18, 2012
-Dragmire- said:
Yagami_Kira said:
-Dragmire- said:
Marik2 said:

cursedseishi said:
Marik2 said:
This is also true.

I've never seen a single LP of Drakengard, I only made the suggestion if they planned on skipping the game.

My heathen self also doesn't know who Dark Id is.
The Dark Id is a screenshot let's player who specializes in 100% clears. In my opinion his LPs are the very best of drakengard 1/2/Nier

ChupathingyX

Jun 8, 2010
Yagami_Kira said:
The Dark Id is a screenshot let's player who specializes in 100% clears. In my opinion his LPs are the very best of drakengard 1/2/Nier
Nope, this [http://something-very-special.tumblr.com/table-of-contents] is the best LP of NieR. Not only does it show the game, but it goes into detail about the meta aspects of the game, as well as a lot of concept details and other facts about the game's development. Though his LP of D1 and 2 are great.

But no one should ever read/watch an LP of NieR without having first played it.