Hawken Redeploys on Steam Later This Month

IanDavis

Blue Blaze Irregular 1st Class
Aug 18, 2012
Hawken Redeploys on Steam Later This Month

The F2P mech title jump-jets onto Steam and tweaks gameplay.

In PC land, Steam is the massive [a href=http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Atlas_(BattleMech)]Atlas[/a], looming over all competitors with its hulking laser cannons. The only games that seem to do well outside of Steam are other monsters, like Minecraft and anything from Blizzard. Now, the fast-paced mech game Hawken is making the transition from its own stand-alone platform to Steam, as well as making some changes in the new patch.

While many F2P online games are available on both Steam and other platforms, Hawken is making a full transition. That means that you'll have to do a complete reinstall if you want to keep playing. On the days leading up to the Steam relaunch later in February, players should receive keys allowing them to access it before the public does. Adhesive Games has a [a href=http://www.playhawken.com/steam/guide]helpful guide[/a] on all the details of the transition.

Hawken has been available in beta form since 2012. "Steam is the premier platform for PC gaming", publisher Meteor Entertainment wrote, "reaching millions of gamers worldwide and will allow us to introduce Hawken to a brand new audience." If you're a Hawken vet, prepare for an influx of fresh blood!

That's not the only thing changing for Hawken, as it's also getting a new patch that overhauls the progression system, adds a new game mode, and tweaks some balance issues. For instance, Tuning Points have been completely removed. Instead of customizing the specs of each mech, each chassis has its own unique set of stats. Also, countermeasures have been completely removed from competitive play, but you can still use them against the AI in co-op mode. The full patch notes should be posted in time for the Steam relaunch.

Source: [a href=https://community.playhawken.com/news/_/game-info/hawken-on-steam-a-new-battlefield-awaits-r330]Hawken[/a]

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Might give it another go since MWO is borken and Star Citizen is still a ways off. Never could get into Hawken because after three months of updates and the launcher still hanging when searching for a match I uninstalled it.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
I'm surprised they didn't start using Steam Early Access for the end of the Beta if they were going to do a Steam only release.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
I played some in the Beta and wasn't overly impressed. I'll probably give it another go though because that was a year ago at least. Probably longer.

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
Saulkar said:
after three months of updates and the launcher still hanging when searching for a match.
Am I missing something? That statement made no sense.

Vivi22 said:
I played some in the Beta and wasn't overly impressed. I'll probably give it another go though because that was a year ago at least. Probably longer.
Yeah, you definitely should. It's a much fuller game then it was a year ago.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Silk_Sk said:
Saulkar said:
after three months of updates and the launcher still hanging when searching for a match.
Way back when the game entered open beta I kept trying to play it for three months straight, once after every update to no avail. It would hang whenever I tried to enter a match. I cannot remember but I do believe it was controlled from a windowed launcher and while it would not stop responding anything other than the tutorial would not launch.

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
Saulkar said:
Silk_Sk said:
Saulkar said:
Way back when the game entered open beta I kept trying to play it for three months straight, once after every update to no avail. It would hang whenever I tried to enter a match. I cannot remember but I do believe it was controlled from a windowed launcher and while it would not stop responding anything other than the tutorial would not launch.
The launcher, as it's name implies, launches the game. It has no other function. If the game launches, the problem is not the launcher. Your issue sounds like something specific to your machine. I would file a support ticket if the problem is still there.

Of course, there is also the possibility that you always tried to play the game directly after a patch, in which case yes, the usual post-patch chaos that dies down after a day or two would have prevented you from having a smooth experience. If so, you should try the game when it's not undergoing maintenance.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
I've played it a few times and while it's fun, I'm just not a multiplayer type person. What I find strange is that it's completely moving over to steam and will require a re-download/install. Hopefully it'll pull in more players than they lose.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Tried it before, but never really had the time to get into it. Maybe I'll give it another try.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well since their biggest problem is community size (as in the only matches you ever find are TDM) this will be most welcome, but it doesn't solve their problems of top level mecs going into the same batch as bottom level and the gigantic difference in power that creates.

Gennadios

Aug 19, 2009
Did the overhaul the FPS-y feel the game had at launch? Does it feel like a mech game now?

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
I'm happy for the most part, but the idea of the tuning points being removed bothers me. If they don't balance the chassis parts, then we're going to see some really OP builds, and possibly a lot of people using the exact same thing because it's useful for only one purpose. They already tweaked the tuning system and it was fine. Why are we removing it entirely now?

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Silk_Sk said:
Of course, there is also the possibility that you always tried to play the game directly after a patch, in which case yes, the usual post-patch chaos that dies down after a day or two would have prevented you from having a smooth experience. If so, you should try the game when it's not undergoing maintenance.
I took that into consideration. Unfortunately the game would still never launch. The tutorial would always launch just fine but nothing else.

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
Saulkar said:
Silk_Sk said:
I took that into consideration. Unfortunately the game would still never launch. The tutorial would always launch just fine but nothing else.
Then, again, I would recommend filing a support ticket.

AuronFtw

Nov 29, 2010
Silk_Sk said:
Saulkar said:
Silk_Sk said:
When games are so failsauce they don't even run, people don't have enough care factor to file support tickets. That's the game's only time to shine - someone with no investment or connection to it is trying for the first time to play it. They aren't going to go out of their way to troubleshoot unless they're sure it's going to be a good experience.

This isn't like rebooting WoW years later to see what the new expac is like and something is wonky - in that case you know you've run it before and something is just wrong. If it's a new game you've never heard of and it's a piece of shit that doesn't launch, most people are going to just not play it rather than jump through hoops.

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
AuronFtw said:
Silk_Sk said:
Saulkar said:
Silk_Sk said:
When games are so failsauce they don't even run, people don't have enough care factor to file support tickets. That's the game's only time to shine - someone with no investment or connection to it is trying for the first time to play it. They aren't going to go out of their way to troubleshoot unless they're sure it's going to be a good experience.

This isn't like rebooting WoW years later to see what the new expac is like and something is wonky - in that case you know you've run it before and something is just wrong. If it's a new game you've never heard of and it's a piece of shit that doesn't launch, most people are going to just not play it rather than jump through hoops.
The fact is, most people are playing it because it actually runs for most people. Your problem is neither common or even , in all likelihood, that difficult to solve. Don't blame the game for your sloth.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Silk_Sk said:
Don't blame the game for your sloth.
I sure as hell will. If I have no already standing commitment to a brand or trying to relive a nostalgic title it is in no way my best interest to figure out how to get it to run when I already have the guarantee that I can get whatever cursory hope of entertainment several times over from another game.

Your commitment to this conversation strongly implies that you like this game but I am strongly vexed when someone resorts to passive aggressive insults to defend something.