Titanfall Runs at 792p, 60 FPS on Xbox One

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Titanfall Runs at 792p, 60 FPS on Xbox One

Respawn has confirmed the odd 792p resolution for Titanfall, but says an increase before launch is on the table.

While the rest of us are still waiting on those Eurogamer [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132188-Titanfall-Beta-Signups-Begin-Update] have gotten their hands on a Titanfall preview build, and have some findings to report on how the game runs. Specifically, they claim that it runs at a rather odd 792p resolution, and confirm the 60 FPS benchmark (though admit it has dips).

Respawn then came out and officially confirmed [http://titanfallblog.com/2014/02/12/titanfall-beta-runs-at-native-792p-resolution-on-xbox-one-may-increase-with-final-build/] the odd resolution, confirming that the beta's native resolution will indeed be 792p.

Abbie Heppe, Community Manager at Respawn, explained that while 720p and 1080p are the standards that most gamers are used to, the vast majority of games run at odd resolutions and are then upscaled. In this instance, 792p would be upscaled to 1080p depending on the output settings of the console.

She added that the resolution will increase as the team edge closer towards a final build of Titanfall, and could potentially be in the region of 900p native resolution once complete.

Back to Eurogamer's preview, it stated that "Probably the biggest surprise is that, based on our testing, frame-rate doesn't quite remain locked to 60 FPS - not especially noticeable in most situations, but definitely more of an issue inside the titans," adding that it "wasn't impressed" with Microsoft's 1080p upscaler, an issue Respawn is apparently working with Microsoft to remedy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132210-Microsoft-Fixed-Xbox-One-Controller-at-Behest-of-Titanfall-Devs].

Source: Titanfall Blog [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-watch-titanfall-on-xbox-one-at-60fps]

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
If you're XB1 exclusive, you don't really care about res, bro. That's selectively bred out of you, bro. 1080p is bad for you, bro.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
We couldn't even make 1080p

How can cat videos on youtube achieve 1080p and a console from a gigantic corporation can't.

TheIceQueen

Sep 15, 2013
Not even 1080p? Pfffffft. Lame. Get it together, Xbox. Geez.

For clarification, I'm joking. I don't know what 1080p means and I don't particularly care either.

I just... I just wanted to join in on the bro-ing going on...

schrodinger

Jul 19, 2013
Dark Knifer said:
We couldn't even make 1080p

How can cat videos on youtube achieve 1080p and a console from a gigantic corporation can't.
Because cats are universal. Bow before the might of kitties!

*cough* uh, anyways...
Well, i guess if the game plays at 60fps and stays constant, the low res can get a pass for now.
They will need to sort out these res shenanigans for future games though.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
It's a fuckin' Source game. If they can't make a Source game run at 1080p 60fps on a next-gen console then the Xbone is a really shitty console.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
So, my tablet is more HD than this game's actual resoution.

Next gen, ladies and gentlemen.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
I honestly thought that the Xbone's premier 'killer game' which as [user]Adam Jensen[/user] has already mentioned is using the venerable Source Engine would at least hit 1080/60 mark.

I need to set my already low standards even lower it seems.

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
Time to be totally glib and pull out the old PC Master Race jab.

Because it amuses me.

Arawn

Dec 18, 2003
I'm happy to hear the beta is underway, but why are so many people hung up on resolution of late? I guess it's nice when you have a 40+ tv or something. It seems every other time when a game isn't 1080 people get mad or make snide remarks. I really don't care how good a game looks in relation to how well it plays. I mean I love Paper Please, and it looks like something made for Apple II E. I guess I just have low standards; if it works and glitches, I'm good. Anything after that is gravy.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
Arawn said:
I'm happy to hear the beta is underway, but why are so many people hung up on resolution of late? I guess it's nice when you have a 40+ tv or something. It seems every other time when a game isn't 1080 people get mad or make snide remarks. I really don't care how good a game looks in relation to how well it plays. I mean I love Paper Please, and it looks like something made for Apple II E. I guess I just have low standards; if it works and glitches, I'm good. Anything after that is gravy.
It's that when you run a video at a different (lower) resolution than the display is made for, it gets this kinda' blurry haze around a lot of things (especially edges) for some people.
It's sort of like how some people see 30FPS as choppy, or the people who suffer VR Sickness from forced low FOVs on PC games (I don't even get VRS, and that starts to hurt my eyes).

I think for many, it's just annoyance that the new "next-gen, firework-launching look-how-futury-we-look" hardware they bought can't handle the now-default video resolution at a steady 60Hz, and it somewhat dissilusions people with their new $500 purchase (at least until they finally get to play the game, anyways.)

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
Tismo said:
792p, Next-Gen is truly here guys.
Hey, it's finally something Microsoft can truthfully claim as being completely unique! #ShotsFired #LightheartedJabs #<-ThisIsAPoundSignGoddamnitStopReplacingCodeSpecificNomenclatureWithGeneralCharacters

Adam Jensen said:
It's a fuckin' Source game. If they can't make a Source game run at 1080p 60fps on a next-gen console then the Xbone is a really shitty console.
Why would you of all people need a tablet, did you fall for another biochip "upgrade?" At least it's still in development, so there's a chance that they can tighten up the optimization and hopefully get a bit more out of it (unless Titanfall was secretly co-developed by Infinity Ward, am I right?)

GrinningCat said:
For clarification, I'm joking. I don't know what 1080p means and I don't particularly care either.
1080p stands for 1080 (pixels high) p(rogressive scan, meaning all of each frame is transmitted per frame, rather than (i)nterlacing, which is alternating rows, and generally only ever used for TV broadcasts to save on bandwidth).

Specifically, here it's referring to the display being 1080 pixels high by 1920 pixels wide, or 1920x1080 for short.
(Just a side note, console users will usually use TV broadcast standards like #p, while PC users generally go by x-by-y resolutions, though there is a decent amount of overlap.)

The Escapist Forums: Learning you some knowledge since 2005 (whether you want it or not).

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Dark Knifer said:
Well, cat videos are more 'next-gen' than the Xbone.

And is this weird resomolution just on the Xbone or for PC too? Because it seems the only people who care about such things are mostly PC gamers.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
No, not weird enough. I want it to be in 837p! Seriously, though, at this point this is just hilarious. XBone is such a weak machine that it can barely keep up with the current tech... Titanfall devs don't dare leave it 720, but 900 would likely cause the console to combust, so they're squeezing it pixel by pixel...

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
792p, so we can say Xbone Titanfall is a higher resolution than 360 Titanfall and not be lieing.

My God the Xbone is a disappointing piece of hardware, to think nine months ago it was ' true 1080p 60fps is coming, prepare yourselves!' and now the spanking new five hundred dollar house brick can't even do the base minimum that everyone else can. Ouch.

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Steven Bogos said:
and confirm the 60 FPS benchmark (though admit it has dips).
While most people are focussing on the resolution, I think this is actually the more interesting part. If the framerate has dips, that means it's not actually hitting the benchmark. So they compromised on resolution to hit the framerate benchmark, but haven't actually managed to achieve that either.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I'll take a lower resolution if it means the game runs smoothly. I honestly couldn't give a flying fuck whether it's 720p, 1080p or this random 792p.

Fun to watch the internet's reaction to it each time though.

Citizen Graves

Jul 19, 2011
Arawn said:

Because Microsoft was at the forefront of hammering home the idea of full-HD next-gen gaming. It's been stated many times all over the internet, but the very fact that the biggest advocate for 1080p gaming can not actually deliver a true 1080p gaming experience is somewhat pathetic.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
CriticalMiss said:
And is this weird resomolution just on the Xbone or for PC too? Because it seems the only people who care about such things are mostly PC gamers.
It's safe to say this is just on the Xbox One. "Internal resolution" is pretty much just a console thing, PC games let you adjust the resolution the game is rendered at in the options menu (or at least a pre-game launcher).
People get (understandably) upset when PC FPS games don't include FOV options, If they didn't let you change the resolution on the PC version of a big fancy AAA FPS, there would be a MASSIVE shitstorm.