The LEGO Movie Videogame - Everything is (Sorta) Awesome

WMDogma

Jul 28, 2009
The LEGO Movie Videogame - Everything is (Sorta) Awesome

Not quite a generic cash-in on the movie, but not quite as strong as its predecessors, either.

Read Full Article

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Not sure if i will get this. I love the lego games, most of the fun comes from the settings and characters....Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Batman, Lord of the Rings etc etc

Aardvaarkman

I am the one who eats ants!
Jul 14, 2011
WMDogma said:
As a big fan of both the movie and LEGOs in general, I had high hopes for The LEGO Movie Videogame...
Arrrgh!

It's just "Lego."

It's not "LEGO."

It certainly isn't "LEGOs" or "Legos," as the plural of Lego is Lego.

How can you be a fan of Lego, as you claim, and not know this?

Aardvaarkman

Jul 14, 2011
MinionJoe said:
Actually, it's LEGO® according to the official website [http://www.lego.com].
Your link is just to the Lego homepage, not a document about how the word should be officially used. But even then, Lego's own website violates what you claim to be the official way of referring to it many times.

MinionJoe said:
Also, official writing style is LEGO according to http://editdesk.wordpress.com/2009/06/19/lego-style/ .
What? Did you read the article you linked to? It doesn't say that at all:

"Not so fast, says my colleague Bill Cloud. He points to an entry in the AP Stylebook. Under ?company names,? the stylebook advises: ?Do not use all-capital-letter names unless the letters are individually pronounced.? So BMW, but not IKEA. Cloud argues that the style rule on company names should also apply to product names."

Lego is a proper noun, not an acronym. Proper nouns are not written in all-caps. Maybe if you are using the Lego logo or trademark. But not in normal writing.

Regardless of that issue, it is never "Legos" or "LEGOs."

Aardvaarkman

Jul 14, 2011
MinionJoe said:
Though it does seem to be LEGO company policy to capitalize all letters of their name against writing style guidelines, even though it's not an acronym. Got to admit, it really makes the name pop in a wall of text.
That's actually one of the reasons that quality journals have thorough style guides. So that "company policy" doesn't dictate their writing. Putting "Lego" in all-caps tends to make an article look like an advertisement or press release. Not something you want if you're trying to write a serious article about the company.

And nobody, except the company itself, uses the ® mark next to the name in normal writing.

Now, if we could somehow work typography into this discussion, I'd be in nerd heaven!

WarpZone

Mar 9, 2008
The sad part is knowing that every single time they make a new lego game, somebody quietly asks if this is finally going to be the game where they take the training wheels off and just let you build whatever the fuck you want to, minecraft-style. Then everyone has a good laugh and they start making cutscenes and fetchquests.

Umpteen games in the Lego series, and they still can't step to the core mechanic of Roblox. They refuse to even try!

Megalodon

May 14, 2010
WarpZone said:
The sad part is knowing that every single time they make a new lego game, somebody quietly asks if this is finally going to be the game where they take the training wheels off and just let you build whatever the fuck you want to, minecraft-style. Then everyone has a good laugh and they start making cutscenes and fetchquests.

Umpteen games in the Lego series, and they still can't step to the core mechanic of Roblox. They refuse to even try!
Because that would undercut their primary business? If you can build stuff in the Lego game, are you still going to buy their plastic bricks? (Is the logic I assume they're using). It's the same reasoning why games workshop aren't just going to do video game versions of Warhammer and 40k.

TheIceQueen

Sep 15, 2013
I've learned two things from this:

1. Don't buy the game. TT has been a bit off lately for me; I think I just don't enjoy their style of gameplay anymore.

And more importantly -

2. Refer to Legos as Legos at all times when talking about Legos.

Dandres

Apr 7, 2013
I use LEGO since that is how it is printed on my blocks.
Not planning to get the game because there is no way you can put the magic of the movie in a standard TT game play style. It has to be totally different game play style to match the movies magic. Sad they even thought they should make this a game.

geldonyetich

Aug 2, 2006
I'm pretty sure Lego has both LEGO and Lego trademarked and use them interchangeably, so this quibbling over semantics is pointless.