30-Foot Star Wars Tapestry Selling for $20,000

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
30-Foot Star Wars Tapestry Selling for $20,000

Aled Lewis's "The Coruscant Tapestry" tells the tale of Star Wars via 30 feet of cross-stitched art.

Are you a Star Wars fan with a 30-foot wall and $20,000 to blow? If so than you stand you can count yourself among the lucky few possessing everything you need to take home what could very well be the ultimate piece of decorative Star Wars.

Currently only display at Los Angeles's <a href=http://nineteeneightyeight.com/products/aled-lewis-the-coruscant-tapestry>Gallery 1988, "The Coruscant Tapestry" is a 30-foot art piece created by artist Aled Lewis in the style of a <a href=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayeux_Tapestry>Bayeux tapestry. The piece details the plot of the Star Wars films (episodes I-VI) using static images that Lewis stitched in by hand. Bordering the imagery are movie quotes written in Aurebesh text from the films. The piece can be purchased for the aforementioned $20,000.

Excepting the fact that it wastes half of its space on the prequels, this is an exceptionally cool piece of art that we'd just love to take home and hang up on our wall. Granted, we might be better off spending $20,000 on buying an actual house (we hear they're nice). That said, you can't put a price on fandom. That what rationally minded spouses not consumed by life-long fandoms are for.

[gallery=2094]

Source: <a href=http://boingboing.net/2014/02/12/the-coruscant-tapestry-30-l.html>Boing Boing

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat šŸ
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
šŸ‡¬šŸ‡§
I pity the poor historians who find this tapestry a thousand years from now and have to try to work out what's going on in it.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I seriously doubt that this artwork is worth $20000. For one thing, who has a house with a 30-foot long empty wall?

JaceArveduin

Mar 14, 2011
SirBryghtside said:
Daaaah Whoosh said:
I seriously doubt that this artwork is worth $20000. For one thing, who has a house with a 30-foot long empty wall?
I'm guessing the same people who have $20,000 to spare :)
Daaaah Whoosh said:
Give me that thing, and I will find a way to make it work!

hentropy

Feb 25, 2012
I hear in a lot of cases when some strange art item sells for way more than people expect, it could be a case of money laundering. I don't think you have to take a big leap to suspect that in this case... it would be one thing if it was made by someone who was connected to the franchise or by some big name artist, but that's not the case here.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
Daaaah Whoosh said:
It depends on how much you think your time is worth. It's rather large and would have taken several weeks in man-hours to make. If it took 1000 hours (any number) that works out to be $20 an hour. Not unfair. Of course the price is inflated somewhat by it's unique qualities.