MGSV: Ground Zeroes to Run at 1080p on PS4, Only 720p on Xbox One

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
MGSV: Ground Zeroes to Run at 1080p on PS4, Only 720p on Xbox One

. Could this technical gap be one of the major reasons people are buying more PS4s?

In other MGSV: Ground Zeroes news, it's been mentioned that the game will only take two hours for players to complete its main mission [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132007-Metal-Gear-Solid-Ground-Zeroes-Reportedly-Just-Two-Hours-Long].

Will Ground Zeroes' follow up, The Phantom Pain, be at the same resolution and frame rate? We won't know for sure until Konami or series creator Hideo Kojima gives us a confirmation. But for those thinking of picking up MGSV: Ground Zeroes, is this disparity enough for people to choose the PS4 version over the Xbox One?

Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes will be out in March 18 for the PS3, Xbox 360, PS4 and Xbox One.

[gallery=2104]

Source: Konami [http://www.konami.jp/mgs5/gz/en/products/compare.html]

seditary

Aug 17, 2008
It just keeps piling up and up doesn't it?

Though tbh I'm not surprised to hear a Metal Gear Solid game is better on a Playstation.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
At lest it's at 60 instead of 30 but still, it's another blow for the Xbone.

If it was actually cheaper then the PS4 it wouldn't be so bad but the Kinect hangs around its neck like an albatross.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
St. Aidan said:
Am I the only person who's not concerned about frame rate & resolution???
I don't really care either. I don't think i can tell which ps3/360 games are 60fps and which are 30, or the difference between 720 or 1080, just doesn't matter to me.

The game companies are probably going to tell us that 60 fps means a double dosis of immersion or whatever... :p

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009

One of the dumbest things to come out of the last console generation is the notion that resolution actually matters. So long as the game is aesthetically pleasing, the amount of jaggies or the number of frames per second is, in my mind, absolutely pointless.

Korten12

Now I want ma...!
Aug 26, 2009
scotth266 said:

One of the dumbest things to come out of the last console generation is the notion that resolution actually matters. So long as the game is aesthetically pleasing, the amount of jaggies or the number of frames per second is, in my mind, absolutely pointless.
Except for the fact that any aesthetically pleasing game will look better at a higher resolution. Hell even Sprites work this way, higher resolution, the more pixel count in sprites. Resolution does matter.

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
Ya... getting tired of these kinds of "news" articles, we get it ps4 has higher rez then xbone, are we going to talk about how the pc version of a game runs at 6,400 x 4,000 with 100 frames a second.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
St. Aidan said:
You're never the only one on the internet.

But don't think that this is a small issue. With the Xbone you pay more and you get less. And it's only the beginning. One must ask oneself just how much will the Xbone's inadequacies affect multiplatform titles in the future. How much better would multiplatform titles be if the Xbone wasn't such a piece of shit.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
St. Aidan said:
Well I like hearing about a game having a higher FPS because it can affect the actual gameplay (although I can't say I get too worked up over it), I'm with you in not giving a shit about the resolution. Actually, that's not true. I do enjoy looking at NeoGAF whenever a resolution is announced and seeing the hilarious responses that come in.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Korten12 said:
No, it really doesn't. Regardless of the platform, if the game's aesthetics are good, it'll look good. One version of Metal Gear is not going to be the "definitive" version because someone with a magnifying glass thinks that it happens to be crisper. Comparison videos and screenshots have only cemented my attitude, because I can barely detect any difference.

Ultimately, if you're going to get a game, you're going to get it regardless of what platform it's on. If you happen to be blessed enough to own both consoles and have a stiffy for framerates I suppose this sort of stuff matters to you, but then I will consider you to have a completely alien mindset.

On a side note, I think it's funny as hell that we've gotten multiplatform to the point where people care about this stuff. I don't remember people caring about resolution in the Xbox/Gamecube/PS2 days - people back then only cared about the gameplay, whether shit looked okay, and what exclusives were where. Now every generation is like some sort of technological dick-waving competition.

ToastyMozart

Mar 13, 2012
scotth266 said:
Comparison videos and screenshots have only cemented my attitude, because I can barely detect any difference.
Just thought I'd make a sidenote that most comparison videos are pretty much moot since Youtube's compression is pretty damn horrible.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Graphics do matter. Higher res and framerate will be more "aesthetically pleasing".

Hi res means less noticeable jaggies and "slimmering" - AA can only do so much.

Hi framerate means better perception of motion.

When you buy a game why would you not want to buy the most "aesthetically pleasing" one?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
deadish said:
Graphics do matter. Higher res and framerate will be more "aesthetically pleasing".

When you buy a game why would you not want to buy the most "aesthetically pleasing" one?
I prefer the most functional game over the most aesthetically pleasing. But since I'm a pc gamer, I can tweak to my heart's content, and I rarely give a damn about screen resolutions.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
scotth266 said:

Except that you're paying a hundred bucks more for a console that can't produce the same quality. If they were the same price, sure. If they ran at the same resolution and FPS, the price would still be weird, but sure. But the combination of 'pay more, get less' is baffling.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
St. Aidan said:
I don't particularly care either, but given that this is supposed to be 'THE NEXT GENERATION-TION-tion-tion' I would expect the consoles to perform much better than their predecessors in every way. Plus as others have said, you are paying $100 more for something that performs less well than the competition. Of course after people have been making fun of them for underperforming, MS have said that resolution doesn't matter.

deadish

Dec 4, 2011
Soviet Heavy said:
deadish said:

I prefer the most functional game over the most aesthetically pleasing. But since I'm a pc gamer, I can tweak to my heart's content, and I rarely give a damn about screen resolutions.

You tweak ... but don't care about screen resolution ... OK ...

Given the choice between 2 equally "functional" versions of a game ... Why would anyone not choose the better looking one?

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
St. Aidan said:
You are not the only one. You are in small minority however as others want to play games better.

MrBaskerville said:
I don't really care either. I don't think i can tell which ps3/360 games are 60fps and which are 30, or the difference between 720 or 1080, just doesn't matter to me.

The game companies are probably going to tell us that 60 fps means a double dosis of immersion or whatever... :p
a sign of a bad TV that you use to play it on.

And game companies been telling us that 30 FPS is more cinematic because laggy is good of course. only those companies that can make thier games run on 60 fps mind you.

scotth266 said:
It is as dumb as people claiming that one of the dumbest things to come out out of science is knowledge that earth is not flat.
You may not think it matters, but you would simply be wrong.

scotth266 said:
No, it really doesn't. Regardless of the platform, if the game's aesthetics are good, it'll look good. One version of Metal Gear is not going to be the "definitive" version because someone with a magnifying glass thinks that it happens to be crisper. Comparison videos and screenshots have only cemented my attitude, because I can barely detect any difference.

Ultimately, if you're going to get a game, you're going to get it regardless of what platform it's on. If you happen to be blessed enough to own both consoles and have a stiffy for framerates I suppose this sort of stuff matters to you, but then I will consider you to have a completely alien mindset.

On a side note, I think it's funny as hell that we've gotten multiplatform to the point where people care about this stuff. I don't remember people caring about resolution in the Xbox/Gamecube/PS2 days - people back then only cared about the gameplay, whether shit looked okay, and what exclusives were where. Now every generation is like some sort of technological dick-waving competition.
where did you compare the video? do you have set ups that run both 720p and 1080p? because youtube is not good enough. youtube compresses video and you wont see a difference because youtube wants to save storage space so it ruins the video.
And resolution DOES matter to asthetics. it simply is a fact. on low resolution you are unable to make games look as good as you want to.
And no, your not going to get a game regardless of the platform its in. If a game is bad on that platform you dont buy it. And what do you mean "Gotten". this has been around since the original NES. People ALWAYS CARED.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Honestly I just don't give a shit about stuff like this anymore, for those that do really need to get their priorities in order if graphics really matter more than gameplay.

Jesus I remember like it was yesterday when we had our PS1's and 2's and back then not one fuck was given about graphics and res, now it's totally different and completely annoying and stale to see and hear the same trough over and over as if it suddenly matters for every single person liking or not on this planet.