Millennium Falcon Surfaces in Star Wars: Episode 7 Concept Art

Josh Engen

Aug 19, 2013
Millennium Falcon Surfaces in Star Wars: Episode 7 Concept Art

A new piece of Star Wars: Episode VII concept art appears to show the Millennium Falcon in all of its glory.

J.J. Abrams is a notoriously secretive director, so the fact that we know very little about Star Wars: Episode VII isn't exactly surprising. However, a strange piece of information may have accidentally slid out of Abrams' clutches via LucasFilm's recently redesigned website.

The website, which had remained relatively untouched since Disney took over in 2012, now includes a photo of the Star Wars production team during a staff meeting [http://lucasfilm.com/what-we-do]. LucasFilm's president Kathleen Kennedy, Sr. VP of technology Kim Libreri, and production designer Rick Carter are all visible, along with the back of J.J. Abrams' head. However, the most interesting part of the photo is the wall of concept art that's hanging in the background.

None of the photos are clearly visible, but one appears to be a shot of the Millennium Falcon descending onto a planet.

An appearance from the Millennium Falcon wouldn't shock anyone. We already know that Harrison Ford will be reprising his role [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122167-Harrison-Ford-Will-Return-as-Han-Solo-in-Episode-7] as Han Solo, and the Falcon is Solo's preferred method of travel.

However, I would also like to point out that none of this is official. Neither Disney nor LucasFilm has made any kind of announcement regarding the plot, and I could probably think of a dozen perfectly good reasons for this piece of art to exist.

Source: LucasFilm [http://io9.com/first-concept-art-of-the-millennium-falcon-in-star-wars-1523014405]

FEichinger

Aug 7, 2011

Oh? Oh, that's it already? I was kinda waiting for some news here. You know, something we didn't expect, or, I dunno, "new".

Seriously, what is this supposed to tell us? The iconic spaceship piloted by one of the reappearing characters might indeed appear in the movie! Really? Who would'a thunk it! Was there any reason to expect otherwise?

PuckFuppet

Entroducing.
Jan 10, 2009
JJ isn't a good director, his secrecy and any "slips" are well orchestrated attempts to control hype so his subpar brand of film making continues to sell.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
It's not like we haven't known that the Falcon would be in the movie. They are building a full size mock up on one of the London sound stages. We've known that for months.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
wombat_of_war said:
never underestimate dedicated people on the net searching photos of their favourite things for the tiniest background details :D
It is rather impressive how some people can pull the smallest thing out a picture.

On topic, I would have been shocked if the Falcon wasn't in the film. Now, can I get my X, Y, B, and A-wings please? Those are the ships I really want. And I wan them all at once, like The Battle of Endor. Not the the same ship over and over, like the ARC-170s in Revenge of the Sith.