Final Fantasy VII Director "Would Love" To Do a Remake

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Final Fantasy VII Director "Would Love" To Do a Remake

Final Fantasy VII director Yoshinori Kitase believes a remake would be his "life work."

Despite Square Enix's seeming adoration for some of its more recent creations, Final Fantasy VII arguably remains the most famous and beloved game the company has ever produced. Fans love the game so much that the demand for a remake has remained a constant force, despite Square Enix's frequent affirmations that it isn't going to happen any time soon. That said, series producer and VII director Yoshinori Kitase recently offered more commentary on what it would take for him to commit to a remake.

"I can honestly tell you I would love to do that," he said. "If you simply ask me if I personally would like to do that, yes I would. Definitely. There's no lie about it. But you must believe me when I say it would take a lot to happen." According to Kitase, a remake of Final Fantasy VII would require considerable "staff availability" along with a sizable budget that, put shortly, may be prohibitive. These sentiments mesh up with statements he'd made <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98484-Final-Fantasy-VII-Remake-Would-Take-Too-Long-to-Develop>back in 2010 when he said he'd like to do a remake but pegged it as "unrealistic."

That said, in his latest round of comments Kitase revealed that the biggest obstacle might be his own motivation. "Should I ever take it on, it would have to be the biggest project I've done. My life work," he said. "So I would have to be as highly motivated as that to end up with something I'm very happy with. It's a huge thing for me." In other words, a Final Fantasy VII remake is still probably off the table for the time being. You never know though, the day could still come when the stars align and fans finally get the shiny VII remake they've been dreaming of for years.

Source: <a href=http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-02-17-a-chat-about-that-final-fantasy-7-remake>Eurogamer

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I've always scoffed at this idea, as unlike many others FFVII was never my favourite and I can understand how much work it would take for Square to do so. Frankly, I'd rather have them work on other projects, like a non-Lighting FF or Kingdom Hearts.

But, having bought it on PC on the Steam Christmas sale and started playing it again, I've changed my mind a little. Now as everyone knows the 3D models look like shit, but everything else while a little pixelated is aesthetically still very strong. So do I want a full blown remake with FFXIII like graphics? Yeah still no. But why can't they just reuse what's already there and just rework the 3d models? Bring them up to par with FF Dissidia and you'll fix the main glaring problem of the game without a massive amount of work.

I actually rather like the landscape painting style they used for this and other PS1 RPG's, kind of wish they'd go back to that.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
I wonder how many people they get asking for this on a daily basis that they need to keep commenting about it.
It's pretty much a yearly tradition now "Well it's 2014 time to release the annual FF7 remake denial".

Maybe people are asking wrong?
How about a port with improved sprites, think Final Fantasy 9 but less grainy. You can even put it on a handheld. Nintendo did it with LoZ:OoT, why can't you Square?

They seem to automatically think it needs to be a "masterpiece" and have a giant budget. I'm more thinking along the lines of "I want to play it again without my eyes bleeding"

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
If the stars did align, what would be the end result? Would they choose to remake the game exactly or get some voice actors, change the camera angle, implement the newer combat system?

To be honest, no matter which route they take, it would be the wrong one. Some would just want a remake with HD graphics and others would want all the mod cons put onto it.

Either way, I am getting my FFX remake, so sorry but I don't care. MUHAHAHA!

AstaresPanda

Nov 5, 2009
I bet it would not take as much money as they have piss away on FF13xVerus or what ever the hell its called 2006 trailer, is it even out yet ?

bdeamon

Mar 20, 2013
unless it is an alternate dimension where the crisis core characters are still around, im only mildly interested.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
You know, aside from the lego people, I don't find the graphics that bad. If someone made the world sprites look like the battle ones, it would be a bit more tolerable.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
As much as I want it... I also don't.

They've waited too long, allot like Duke Nukem. The only thing "Final Fantasy 7 HD" will receive is a sigh of disappointment from the fans who waited forever for it, only to find it's the exact same game with higher poly count models and bigger textures.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Having just finished playing FFVII again I am happy to wait another 10 years before playing it through again, I'd rather get a GOG/Steam version of FFIX thankyouverymuch.

If they were to remake FFVII I think what Squeenix want and what fans would be happy with are two different things. Squeenix would spend millions on it, fully voice acted, Mocap up the arse and probably fuck around with the story for some reason to put Lightning in there. And because they spent so much making it they would release it as a full-price AAA title that needs to sell 5 million to break even.

I would be happy with just updating the character models, maybe some new sidequests and cutting out the dumb mini-games that felt completely out of place or leave them as arcade games in Gold Saucer. Update the sounds too, no need for a full orchestral score (even though it would be brilliant) but better than PS1 bleep-bloops. Heck, even that fan made 8-bit demake looked cool. They could do that!

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Having played FFVII recently on Steam, I wouldn't mind waiting another decade before it finally happens.

I must echo most commenter's sentiments here, just "slightly" upgrade the thing, maybe swap the exploration's crude polygons with their battle counterparts, nothing drastic. Beyond that, I don't think it really needs to be a full-on remake, the game is just fine as it is.

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
Ugh, I am so tired of people complaining about this. it's not going to happen, get over it. ff7 was not that good that people need to be bringing it up every 10 minutes. seriously let it go already.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
I say go for it. Final Fantasy 7 was my introduction into the video game RPG scene in proper, and a good one at that. Forget the nay-sayers and go ahead.

Mylinkay Asdara

Waiting watcher
Nov 28, 2010
If they make it - I will play it. If they don't - I won't, obviously.

I'm not overly fussed about getting it remade (read: I'm not one of the yearly petitioners), but I wouldn't mind if they did and they could lay claim to $60-$75 of my money pretty easily if they took the bother to do it already and be done with this whole charade of "we might" already. I think that's a pretty common stance too.

I mean, it was a solid game and their latest offerings offline are less than appealing to me since, oh, let's say X was my last hurrah. If they put a remastered version (maybe throw in a little extra content too, since it's been a long while and they have plenty of spin-offs to borrow from / incorporate) on the PS4? I could see that making their bank account a lot healthier than I imagine it must be right now. Just saying.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
probably not going to happen. Fact of the matter is that the Square of today just doesn't have the chops to do a decent remake of it. They'd probably just amp up the shallower traits of the game and completely miss the nuances that elevated it to a classic

Seracen

Sep 20, 2009
They can do HD remakes and CGI addendums to other iterations in the series, yet FF7 is too difficult? Whatever, they are still trolling the fans after nearly 2 freaking decades. At this point, I barely even care anymore.

On the other hand, the fact that an official line came down that even entertains this idea tells me that Square is getting really close to their "bankruptcy saving throw."

EDIT: In all fairness, they would never live up to the hype of all these years anyways. Meanwhile, the modding community for the PC version at least makes replays less hurtful on the eyes.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
I dunno, could modern Square even make FF7? The game isn't just a continuous straight line occasionally broken-up by story bits.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
So instead we'll just give remakes of our crappier works such as X and X-2 and promise to shoehorn Lightning into future installments as well. Have fun with that, folks.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
WhiteTigerShiro said:
I dunno, could modern Square even make FF7? The game isn't just a continuous straight line occasionally broken-up by story bits.
It's pretty much a straight line. Most FF games past 6 (aside from 12) were straight lines. FF13 just wasn't shy about it.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
Remaking FF7 would mean building the whole game from scratch, if we are not talking about mere graphical update square would have to record lots of dialogue (silent FFs had tons of that hadn't they?), recreate the game in a new engine, and update its archaic combat system (if they don't want it to be dismissed by younger audiences) it is expensive. From business standpoint making more Lightning games seems much more profitable since all assets are already partially done or are ready to be tweaked and reused ;)