Sony/Konami Reveal Limited Edition Metal Gear Solid V PS4

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Sony/Konami Reveal Limited Edition Metal Gear Solid V PS4

Japanese gamers can now pre-order a limited edition Metal Gear Solid V PS4, but what about the rest of the world?

While the franchise didn't get its start on Sony consoles, the Metal Gear games have maintained a strong allegiance with the PlayStation brand dating back to the franchise's resurgence with Metal Gear Solid. Put shortly, while Metal Gear has gone multi-platform on several occasions, for many gamers PlayStation is probably still one of the first names to come to mind when thinking about the series.

Perhaps hoping to further cement that link, Sony and Konami have recently unveiled a new limited edition PS4 that will feature imagery from Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes. More specifically, the special PS4 will come with a unique Fox Unit decal positioned over the console's glossy portion. The limited edition is currently slated for a March 20th release, though sadly only in Japan. It will come packaged with a retail copy of Ground Zeroes and can be pre-ordered for 46,980 yen (about $460) at <a href=http://store.sony.jp/Special/Game/Ps4/Metal-gear-solid-v/index.html>the Japanese Sony Store.

The big question, of course, is whether or not territories outside of Japan will be receiving an equivalent version. Granted, it's not like the PS4 really needs much help selling <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132268-PS4-Outsells-Xbox-One-by-Nearly-Two-to-One-in-the-US-Last-Month>these days, but a Metal Gear emblazoned edition could serve as fodder to convince on-the-fence franchise fans to pick the new PlayStation over the Xbox One. Granted, the recent revelation that Ground Zeroes will run <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132275-MGSV-Ground-Zeroes-to-Run-at-1080p-on-PS4-Only-720p-on-Xbox-One>at a higher resolution on the PS4 could be enough to do that on its own. Even so, it'd be hard to find a good argument against bringing this to western markets. What do you think? Does this limited edition look like a must-buy for you?

Source: <a href=http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/17/5418550/metal-gear-solid-5-ground-zeroes-will-run-at-1080p-natively-on-ps4>Polygon

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
I'm actually waiting for exactly such a thing before buying it. I'm not sure if I'll get this specific version or maybe a FFXV one but yes, I'm definitely gonna nab one of those LE ps4s, it's the only game worth anything on the system right now so it's a bargain anyhow.

Roofstone

May 13, 2010
Don't have a ps4 yet, but I might buy it if I can get this one.

Are consoles still region locked? I might just ring up some friends and tell them to start giving their yen for my sake.

Cause I make illegal alcohol in my basement.

Geddit? Sake, and sake.

It is a play on words you see!

(I don't actually make illegal alcohol, that'd be bad)

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I would so buy this! I'm an MGS fanboy 4 lyf ... unless they ruin it with phantom pain.

I mean it would just be shoved under my tv and I would never be able to see that sweet golden fox tag but I still wants it!

Never actually had a special console before, there have been plenty but I've always had the console before they launched.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
Um... so it's just that one FOX sticker?

I have a very very similar decal on my car that I got custom made for fairly cheap, I could very easily just get another one and stick it on my PS4 in exactly the same position. Sure this is professional quality and it's most likely grafted onto the console itself but I could likely do that too with a good stencil (which you can find with a simple Google search) and some transparent sealant. I mean c'mon at least make the console a different colour!

And I'm a huge MGS fan, it's one of the only things I'd ever admit to fangirling over, but to me this is pretty lackluster, I guess that really is very much a matter of personal preference though.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Roofstone said:
Are consoles still region locked? I might just ring up some friends and tell them to start giving their yen for my sake.
Sony's systems and handhelds haven't been region locked since the PS2. The PS3 was not region locked for physical software, the stores on the devices are separate though but that's because of different servers. The PSP isn't region locked for games and neither is the PS Vita or the PS4.
Xbox One also isn't region locked anymore, which means that only 2 systems this gen are region locked for arbitrary reasons.

*glares at Wii U and 3DS for being region locked*
*looks disappointingly at 3DS for fact that a handheld designed for on the go gaming is region locked to "stop teh pirates"*

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
Meh for me. If Infamous will have kickass bundle, I'll probably buy that one.

Roofstone said:
Don't have a ps4 yet, but I might buy it if I can get this one.

Cause I make illegal alcohol in my basement.

Geddit? Sake, and sake.

It is a play on words you see!

(I don't actually make illegal alcohol, that'd be bad)
That was terrible. So sake.

Geddit? sake, and suck it.

:D

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
It's a regular PS4 with a sticker on it and bundled with the game. They could at least have made it a different colour or something. At least they aren't charging an arm and a leg for it, which is novel.

Eiv

Oct 17, 2008
CriticalMiss said:
It's a regular PS4 with a sticker on it and bundled with the game. They could at least have made it a different colour or something. At least they aren't charging an arm and a leg for it, which is novel.
Madame_le_Flour said:
Um... so it's just that one FOX sticker?

I have a very very similar decal on my car that I got custom made for fairly cheap, I could very easily just get another one and stick it on my PS4 in exactly the same position. Sure this is professional quality and it's most likely grafted onto the console itself but I could likely do that too with a good stencil (which you can find with a simple Google search) and some transparent sealant. I mean c'mon at least make the console a different colour!

And I'm a huge MGS fan, it's one of the only things I'd ever admit to fangirling over, but to me this is pretty lackluster, I guess that really is very much a matter of personal preference though.
I thought the same thing, it just seems really obnoxious and cheap. So I decided to give it a go. Not finished yet, just an hours work or so.