Why Are There 183 World War 2 Games?

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Why Are There 183 World War 2 Games?

Sure, everyone likes killing Nazis. But do we really need almost 200 games set during the Second World War?

There's a great piece over at 1UP [http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3175558] about the prominence of World War II games in the industry. They're super-saturated. They're beyond super-saturated to the point that "Hey, another WW2 shooter" has almost gone past the point where it's ironic, to simply becoming the norm: death, taxes, and storming Normandy.

There are plenty of 20th century conflicts that America fought in, but WW2 outstrips them all by a large margin: 1UP's research found 183 games set in World War II, ten times the number of the next-highest war (World War I, with 18 games).

Of course, it makes sense in a way. In World War II, there was a clear villain - you don't get more evil than Adolf Hitler. The enemy wore black uniforms with a Deaths Head motif; they weren't normal-looking people blending in amongst civilians. For gameplay purposes, WW2 took place at that crucial moment in history where military technology was just starting to become modern enough to make for exciting battles, but not too modern to the point where standard troop tactics and maneuvers gave way to "send in the F-22s and missile bombardments."

It was an age of heroism - of Britain's "finest hour," of the Greatest Generation, of covert resistance to an oppressive conquering force. So yes, it's completely understandable why developers would want to set games during this period as opposed to, say, a FPS set during World War I (colorfully compared to "a version of Team Fortress in which Sniper is the only class and everyone randomly dies for no reason occasionally.")

But when will we move on? Will we ever move on? WW2 may have been an incredibly pivotal moment in the history of the world, but when will enough finally be enough?

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
Only 183? I thought there would be a lot more. But I would like to see more WWI games.

IrrelevantTangent

Oct 4, 2008
One hundred and eighty-three? Games? Wow. I had no idea there were that many. Quite an interesting fact.

But, how many of them are good?

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
Personally I don't see any escape from WW2 games and I think it has to do with the "clearcut villain" idea, because there's another side to pretty much every other major conflict in the 20th Century that doesn't involve Supervillain style embellishment.

Captain Pancake

May 20, 2009
I never really played them much, and I never actually bought my own one. In my opinion It shows a lack of tact parading all these bloody battles in the faces of people who lived through such trying times over and over again.

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
If CoD3 released on three systems, Wii, 360, PS3, does that count as three games or one?

Concon141

May 12, 2009
It's possibly down to the variety in the second world war, land, sea, air. Italy, Normandy, North Africa, philipenes, eastern Europe and the pacific. Just gives a wider variety than if it were set in more modern times where its either Russia or the middle east, or vietman, where its nothing but hills and jungles.

Pandalisk

Jan 25, 2009
People like WW2, as something as Iconic as it was i doubt people will ever grow tired of it, some will of course, but others never will

I honestly expected there to be more, For shame game developers for shame

blipblop

May 21, 2009
The Infamous Scamola said:
I hate all this black and white shit. I want morally gray areas! Give me a Vietnam game anyday.
or a Irak/afghanistan war game

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
The Infamous Scamola said:
I hate all this black and white shit. I want morally gray areas! Give me a Vietnam game anyday.
Look at what happened to "Six Days in Fallujah," all "morally" gray gets you is controversy and protests by veterans.

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
I prefer WW2 games over modern war for one reason: modern warfare games often involve fully automatic guns that rock at any range.. WW2 shooters at least have guns with obvious pros and cons. Also the WW2 atmosphere intrigues me a lot more than dusty deserts with hi-tech interiors fighting iraqi people..

DeathWyrmNexus

Jan 5, 2008
Well it is kinda like Crime games. Some things are just cliche' and cliche' for a reason. WW2 is the ultimate battle of good and evil that we can all point to and say, yep, that was a good war. You don't really get to say that about pretty much every other war. Well, WW1 was a good war but like stated above, the tech wasn't quite there to make it playable. WW2 is pretty much the only time that a huge majority of people can agree on and not get horribly offended.

Besides, I still need to get COD5 and the Nazi Zombie mod. >_>

I am fond of gray area games but a lot of the time, people just want a release. Black and White games provide the simple release for those not wanting an engaging mental experience along with their release. It is why a lot of people don't quote Shakespeare in bed. We not always there for a narrative. XD

Hmm, now I want a narrative and a game with gray moral choices.

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
Well you see when a developer actually TRIES to move away from WW2 and onto a more current conflict we get asshats who spout nonsense about how "it's not right" and the media makes a big fuss over it *cough*sixdaysinfallujeh*cough*.

That and hell WW2 is an interesting subject to make a game on.

bluepilot

Jul 10, 2009
I guess that WW2 brings a diversity of different nationalities to shoot at and a diversity of different sides to play and makes a compelling storyline and setting.

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
I found it funny that the number 18 for WW1 came with the note "excluding Snoopy vs the Red Baron".

All kinds of settings and weapons somehow blur together once meshed with modern cover and headshot gameplay where it doesn't matter what kind of gun you have, you only use it single shot and only aim at the head because shooting the enemy anywhere else is about as effective as asking them to fall over and play dead.

I think modern weapons still have clear cut differences in their optimum combat ranges and roles but it seems game designers see anything that can be set to full auto as a machinegun, apparently only few know the difference between an SMG, assault rifle and proper machine gun.

As for Team Fortress with only snipers try the Darkest of Days demo (it's on Steam), the demo level puts you into the US Civil War and gives you a gun that shoots about once every 5 seconds.