Star Wars and Batman Meet a Child's Imagination in 19 Pieces of Art

John Keefer

Devilish Rogue
Aug 12, 2013
Star Wars and Batman Meet a Child's Imagination in 19 Pieces of Art

Artist Craig Davison captures the wonder of a child's imagination in drawings depicting Star Wars and Batman.

When you were a kid, you probably had a vivid imagination. (Those of you that still have a vivid imagination as an adult, don't spoil the moment). Who didn't play make-believe with the favorite sci-fi or fantasy characters they saw on TV or in movies, or even the comics? Thinking back to those moments of creativity has prompted artist Craig Davison to come up with a fascinating look into the world of child's play.

Davison has plenty of galleries [http://www.craigdavisonart.com/] depicting childhood. But two that stand out to the geek in me were the Star Wars and Batman images. And the Batman shots are from the 60s TV show, not the Dark Knight we know today.

Take a look at these Star Wars paintings, featuring the likes of Han Solo, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Princess Leia and Darth Vader.

[gallery=2120]

Now take a look at these images of the caped crusaders from the days of Adam West and Burt Ward (the POW! and ZLONK! give it away), and even an appearance by Batgirl and Catwoman for the girls.

[gallery=2121]

If you want to see more of kids as cowboys, and even one as Bill Bixby's Bruce Banner and the Hulk, check out Davison's site.

And while you're at it, who did you imagine you wanted to be as a kid?

Source: Nerd Approved [http://www.craigdavisonart.com/]

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I've done the exact same thing as that stormtrooper kid in the first image with a tennis racket. In fact, I usually love to pick up objects and pretend I'm welding weaponary against invisible mooks coming through the windows. I've outgrown those days now...

[sub]Oh who am I kidding, I still do that whenever I'm alone in the house.[/sub]

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Weird kids, going outside, playing together, having imagination and all that.
Ah, well. I remember I played a bunch of Indiana Jones with "The floor is lava!" and stuff like that. One game I particularly liked was "Gravity goes sideways!", though, where I had to "walk" along walls and climb around stuff while lying on the ground. A corridor suddenly becomes a shaft of doom, a deadly fall waiting to happen, unless you "descend" carefully.

chikusho

Jun 14, 2011
That Boba Fett painting was amazing.
I love the concept, but in general I think the artist was a bit too tame on the shadow personas. He should have played up the imagination aspect more than just a pale shadow in the background. The more detail given, and the more of the fantasy that seeps into reality, the more powerful the painting gets.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
I love how these are all pictures of children's imaginations, but somehow they don't actually feel childish. Especially in the Star Wars ones they look and feel heroic, exactly how they'd feel themselves.

Very very cool art that doesn't talk down to children's imaginations.
chikusho said:
That Boba Fett painting was amazing.
I love the concept, but in general I think the artist was a bit too tame on the shadow personas. He should have played up the imagination aspect more than just a pale shadow in the background. The more detail given, and the more of the fantasy that seeps into reality, the more powerful the painting gets.
I actually prefer that, it means the focus is still on the child which is what it's actually about. If the personas would be a lot more detailed that focus would shift. Plus, these characters are so iconic, we all know what they look like. I think that's sort of the point as well.

McFazzer

Apr 22, 2012
For a second I thought someone had done fan art crossing over Batman and Star Wars, but I think this might be even better!

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
This is amazing.
Now I'm just gonna wait for someone to complain that the girls are imaging themselves as Batgirl instead of Batman.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
A few of those illustrations are particularly reminiscent of the art style used for the Gorillaz characters. Interesting stuff. It also reminded me of some of the most memorable scenes from Calvin and Hobbes.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
McFazzer said:
For a second I thought someone had done fan art crossing over Batman and Star Wars, but I think this might be even better!
I did a drawing of Batman vs Darth Vader [http://zzombiexiii.deviantart.com/art/Vader-vs-Batman-435443807?ga_submit_new=10%253A1392903894] once.

Batman won, natch.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
Oh to be young again, playing pretend until all hours of the day. This was back when your parents wouldn't let you sit inside all day.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Love it. These are fantastic.

Serious kudos to the artist for capturing the genuine feeling of a childlike imagination without making them feel "childish".

ZZoMBiE13 said:
McFazzer said:
I did a drawing of Batman vs Darth Vader [http://zzombiexiii.deviantart.com/art/Vader-vs-Batman-435443807?ga_submit_new=10%253A1392903894] once.

Batman won, natch.
Maybe it's just me, but a Force-powered Batman sounds like one of the scariest fucking things imaginable...