Japan's "Pocari Sweat" Will be The First Sports Drink on The Moon

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Japan's "Pocari Sweat" Will be The First Sports Drink on The Moon

Hundreds of years from now, Aliens will open Japan's Pocari Sweat time capsule on the moon.

You may not know of the somewhat oddly-named "Poccari Sweat" sports drink in your country, but here in Japan it's on par with Gatorade as one of the go-to after-workout drinks, and now, by teaming up with Pittsburgh-based Astrobotic Technology Inc. and Singapore-based ASTROSCALE, Pocari Sweat aims to extend its brand awareness, by becoming the first sports drink on the moon.

Yes, the moon, that last bastion of advertising-free territory that we all assumed Coca-cola would get to first. The project will deliver a time capsule containing Pocari Sweat to the surface of the moon in October 2015. If successful, Pocari Sweat will be the first commercial beverage to land on the surface of the moon.

More details about the project will be be announced in the middle of May, but for now, let it sink in that a bottle of sports drink will get to the moon before you do.

How long will it be before real, actual space advertisements, the kind that sci-fi authors like Isaac Asimov wrote about [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buy_Jupiter], become a thing?

Source: Rocket News 24 [http://nlab.itmedia.co.jp/nl/articles/1402/17/news128.html]

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
that is exactly what we need, now when i get thirsty and decide i want some tasty pocari sweat i'll just take a casual walk to the moon!

the question i have is just... why? other than advertising, there is no point to this at all. i've never heard of the company before, but i'm not inclined to try it because there's some on the fucking moon. that's retarded.

the fact that it is being labelled as a time capsule as well is a bit odd, because only 2 beings could discover it, either

1) people find it on the moon, and wonder "why is there a japanese sports drink on the moon?"
2) some form of extraterrestrial being exists and finds it, and when it can communicate with us asks "the fuck is that doing on the moon? what's wrong with you?!"

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Steven Bogos said:
Isaac Asimoth wrote about [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buy_Jupiter], become a thing?
Typo for Isaac Asimov's name.

I've read Buy Jupiter in a anthology book, I preferred The Martin Way.

Gali

Nov 19, 2009
Starcraft/eSports fans may already know of this drink. Pocari Sweat have been sponsoring Korean progaming teams since the Broodwar days. I really, really need to try it when I'm visiting Seoul. Next to an Hotsix energy drink.

I hope the mentioned aliens in the article will not be like the Protoss because you know... no mouths to drink that stuff. Anyway, crazy advertisement is crazy.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
At least the Whalers on the Monn [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60BjkUtqxPE] will have something refreshing to drink.

ryo02

Oct 8, 2007
firing something off in a rocket to the moon sounds like something you would do to something you don't like.

TheEvilCheese

Cheesey.
Dec 16, 2008
Really good soft drink actually, it's the fridge at my local sushi / Japanese import food place. Mental idea for an advert but hey, Japanese advertising rarely makes sense to me.

Li Mu

Oct 17, 2011
An ex-colleague of mine actually taught English to one of the guys who 'invented' Pocari Sweat. It turns out that the name is pretty damn random. If I remember correctly (I was told this about 4 years ago) the word 'Pocari' was chosen simply because it sounded nice (it has no meaning at all), and 'Sweat' was chosen because it was a sports drink.

I always liked to think that a 'Pocari' was a small furry animal. Perhaps like a Tanuki.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
This drink saved me when I got sick in Kyoto. A few bottles of this stuff perked me right back up after two days of vomiting and fever. God bless the sweat.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
Gali said:
Starcraft/eSports fans may already know of this drink. Pocari Sweat have been sponsoring Korean progaming teams since the Broodwar days. I really, really need to try it when I'm visiting Seoul. Next to an Hotsix energy drink.

I hope the mentioned aliens in the article will not be like the Protoss because you know... no mouths to drink that stuff. Anyway, crazy advertisement is crazy.
Hahaha this is EXACTLY the same thing I thought of when I was reading the news item :D

Mar 26, 2008
OuendanCyrus said:
Pocari Sweat is sold everywhere here in Hong Kong, I love it. =)
Yeah I remember seeing ads for it all the time on TV when I went to Hong Kong and thinking "what a bizarre name for a drink". Sounded unappealing so I steered clear of it.