BlazBlue Hits Europe In 2010 With New Characters

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
BlazBlue Hits Europe In 2010 With New Characters

European fighting game fans who've held off on importing Arc System Works' over-the-top BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger will be rewarded for their patience in 2010, as the game will supposedly come with brand-new characters.

BlazBlue, the quirky, over-the-top 2D fighter that was the spiritual successor to Arc System Work's Guilty Gear series of quirky, over-the-top 2D fighters, hit shelves in North America last month to critical acclaim [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/6240-Review-BlazBlue-Calamity-Trigger]. Unfortunately, it's taken some time to make its way across the Atlantic, leaving many European fighter fans unable to spam Jin's ice-car move against opponents online.

Well, reports Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5337458/blazblue-coming-to-europe-in-2010-with-new-characters], the patient Europeans will be rewarded with some goodies that weren't in the Japanese or North American version when the game comes across the sea in 2010, "as a result of publisher PQube and Zen United, a consortium of Japanese and Asian developers targeting the European market."

[blockquote]"The long running 2D fighting genre has seen a welcome boost in 2009 with updated versions of several franchises brought to Next Gen PS3 and 360 consoles" and Tomo Ohno, Head of Zen United, reported "BlazBlue reached number 1 in the Japanese arcades and already sales of the Japanese and US console versions have beaten forecasts".[/blockquote]

Not only will the game be fully localized in German, Italian, French, English, and Spanish, but there will be genuine bonus content as well: "[N]ew gameplay content not available anywhere, like new characters and moves." The report also makes mention of an official strategy guide and an official soundtrack release (because damn, BlazBlue has tunes [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TScDYf3uwoQ&fmt=18]) - but those came with the Collector's Edition here in the States anyway, so we can't really be jealous.

New characters, though? That's something very different, and one has to wonder how they'll be incorporated into the game's zany, branching storyline - if at all. For that matter, if the European version allows players to fight opponents across the Atlantic via XBL or PSN, how will it be balanced? All I can think of is that if Arc System Works is going to go to all the trouble of creating new characters and moves, they'd better offer them up as (ideally free) DLC to all the early adopters.

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
result. i was hoping blazblue would make an appearance in europe. and with new characters as well. get in

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
I hope those new characters actually go in, not like World of Goo where they just went "eh, screw it" and didn't make the Moon levels they originally promised (and instead went with keeping WoG downloadable).

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
*Eye Twitch* New Characters...? Seriously? While i sympathize with the people who have to wait for the game to come out in their country, i bought it in the first week in the US expecting that there would be no real new additions.... If this new Character thing is true, there really had better be some DLC here in the states... and as Mr. Funk said, Preferably free.

AboveUp

May 21, 2008
GamerLuck said:
*Eye Twitch* New Characters...? Seriously? While i sympathize with the people who have to wait for the game to come out in their country, i bought it in the first week in the US expecting that there would be no real new additions.... If this new Character thing is true, there really had better be some DLC here in the states... and as Mr. Funk said, Preferably free.
It's a fighting game. There's always new additions coming. Just look at how many versions of Guilty Gear X2 and Street Fighter 2 there are.

Anyway, I'm glad it's coming to Europe, I was seriously considering importing the game, but if there's new characters, I'll gladly wait.

Dudeakoff

Jul 22, 2009
Sweet, I was just about to import it, but I'll wait longer for new characters. I wouldn't think any DLC for the already released versions would be free, the new characters seem to be a selling point for people not to import it and wait.

Any idea when in 2010? Early or late?

KDR_11k

Feb 10, 2009
GamerLuck said:
Knowing fighting game devs you'll probably get something like BlazBlue Plus Edition to buy at retail if you want those additions.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
*uppercuts the ceiling with joy*

HELL YES! It's about time Europe got some shiny characters and content first!

...*goes back to grumbling about Kingdom Hearts 2: Final Mix+*

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
This is the best news I've had since...Well, the last couple of days have been pretty great, definitely countering the bad news mt Cinema isn't showing District 9.

Shame it's gonna take a while to come out, I just hope it isn't a year, 3 months will be enough! xD

ohgodalex

May 21, 2009
They've just given a reason for everyone in North America that was planning on purchasing the game a reason to wait. I'm not about to put down 60$ on a game that will become obsolete within the year.

Fluga

Jan 10, 2008
You know what happens when you add characters to a finished game? They end up being bad characters or really busted characters that would be banned in a tournament setting.

Chances are, they will be horrible characters unless they are Jubei and Terumi, because honestly, those two characters are the only two left that can actually fight if you played the story mode.