New Findings Reveal How Stars Explode Into Supernovas

Rhykker

Level 16 Scallywag
Feb 28, 2010
New Findings Reveal How Stars Explode Into Supernovas

Astrophysicists have created the first-ever map of radioactive material in a supernova remnant, revealing how shock waves rip apart dying stars during supernovas.

An international team of astrophysicists have made use of a high-energy X-ray observatory to perform an autopsy on a dead star - specifically, the supernova remnant Cassiopeia A. The results indicate that a star's death is far more chaotically violent than initially believed.

The Cassiopeia A remnant was created more than 11,000 years ago, when a massive star blew up as a supernova. The stellar corpse was analyzed using NASA's Nuclear Spectroscopic Telescope Array (NuSTAR), allowing for the creation of the first-ever map of radioactive material in a supernova remnant.

"Stars are spherical balls of gas, and so you might think that when they end their lives and explode, that explosion would look like a uniform ball expanding out with great power," said Fiona Harrison, the principal investigator of NuSTAR at the California Institute of Technology and one of the lead authors of a new paper. "Our new results show how the explosion's heart, or engine, is distorted, possibly because the inner regions literally slosh around before detonating."

When researchers have tried to create simulations of supernovas, the main shock wave would stall out, and the star would fail to shatter. But these latest findings strongly suggest that the exploding star sloshes around, reenergizing the stalled shock wave and allowing the explosion to progress.

Source: Science Recorder [http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2014-02/dlnl-nhu021914.php]

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
Alexander Kirby said:
Sooo... how long before we get an actual word for this 'sloshing' effect?
It's astrophysics, so probably never. Take a look at some of the other names they have for stuff that goes on in the universe.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
KABOOM, YO.

I'm a bit surprised that they originally thought stars explode like "a uniform ball expanding out", despite already being aware that a star's elemental makeup and positioning is not uniform.

Common sense discoveries always seem so strange.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
or that it was a shocker that black holes gained mass if you always looked at the as immensely dense snowballs they had to get more mass as they absorbed matter. i remember suggesting that on a physics forum years and years and years ago and getting nothing but scorn for the whole notion.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
This is the kind of stuff that makes me want to get into Chemistry and Physics more so I have a better understanding of what the article just said.

Funyahns

Sep 2, 2012
Wait I thought it had more information on how stars explode. I didn't read anything about that.