8 Reasons Nicolas Cage Is The Best Actor Of His Generation

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
8 Reasons Nicolas Cage Is The Best Actor Of His Generation

Today we give you eight little reasons as to why Nicolas Cage is the best actor of his generation. He may have made some movies that aren't so great, but on the other hand he's made some of the best movies of the past thirty years. So everyone sit back and appreciate some of the best movies you'll ever see.

Read Full Article

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Best actor of his generation? I guess so, if you've never heard of Sean Penn, George Clooney, Colin Firth, Javier Bardem or the late Phillip Seymour Hoffman.

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
I thought Keanu Reeves was the best actor of our generation.

Greg

DrStrangelove

Apr 10, 2008
Greg Tito said:
I thought Keanu Reeves was the best actor of our generation.

Greg
I wouldn't want to limit Keanu to a generation. He's the best actor in the history of actoring. Just look at literally anything he's done, he makes Laurence Olivier look like Pauly Shore.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Leaving Las Vegas is probably my favorite movie with Cage in it.

Depressing as fuck, but really good.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I agree that Nic Cage is actually pretty awesome. I mean, Community had to have an entire class on him because of how odd he is.

However, how could you not put Face/Off on this list?! He's so badass in that movie and it's ridiculously over-stylized.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
I'm really sad you leave out Face/Off and The Rock both really showed his chops as an action hero lead.

EDIT: Also why does Greg Tito sign his posts like my grandpa does for text messages?

Blood Brain Barrier

Nov 21, 2011
Come on, no Face/Off?

But yes, this is something I haven't thought about. He's a somewhat unique and, er....erratic actor but Wild at Heart, Adaptation and Face/Off are movies which would all make my Top 100 and all have Nic Cage as a main character.

Shamanic Rhythm said:
Best actor of his generation? I guess so, if you've never heard of Sean Penn, George Clooney, Colin Firth, Javier Bardem or the late Phillip Seymour Hoffman.
I can't tell if you're serious because some of those are decent actors but Clooney is awful. He can only play one character (himself) and has no ability to transform himself on screen. His best role was in The Thin Red Line where the director actually had the smarts to play him as himself, and only for about 2 minutes.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
Blood Brain Barrier said:
Shamanic Rhythm said:
I can't tell if you're serious because some of those are decent actors but Clooney is awful. He can only play one character (himself) and has no ability to transform himself on screen. His best role was in The Thin Red Line where the director actually had the smarts to play him as himself, and only for about 2 minutes.
Clooney is really good in The Descendents, Syriana and The Ides of March. While most of his other roles are very one-dimensional, he doesn't overact the way Cage does. I wasn't including him because I'd say he's the best, but because I was thinking of people other than Cage. Yeah, he is always cast as a smug prick, but he plays it straight, and at best he's just mediocre: whereas Cage can be awful.

That said, Marlon Brando was pretty terrible in some roles, so I can see the logic. I just don't buy it

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
Cage's performances are either amazing or trash. Which is really annoying as you cant judge a movie based on him.

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Completely invalid list.

No face/off

No national Treasure (still waiting on #3 there Nic)

No Next

However i do agree Cage is awesome =D

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Scorpid said:
I'm really sad you leave out Face/Off and The Rock both really showed his chops as an action hero lead.

EDIT: Also why does Greg Tito sign his posts like my grandpa does for text messages?
Hi Scorpid! I hope you like the football cards I got you!

Greg

PS. I'm your grandfather.

bluepotatosack

Mar 17, 2011
Jasper van Heycop said:
No Bad Lieutenant? Agree with the rest, but that character is freaking awesome.
That's the one I was looking for. If anybody hasn't seen it, get on that!

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Look, I hear a lot of flak toward Nic Cage's work, and some of the movies he's been in were total shit. I'll agree. But the man underneath the penchant for signing off on seemingly any script sent to his agent is a fucking awesome actor. He really brings his parts to life, and even in bad movies does a solid job of rising above the material enough to make it watchable. He has a pedigree, being a Coppola, but I give him massive credit for not banking on the name and in fact choosing to go with an homage to Luke Cage (proving his love for comics by picking a lesser-known yet awesome super-hero who also happens to be a minority). In real life he may be just as nutty as some of his on-screen personas but he seems like a guy I'd definitely hang out with, and I do watch all his movies just to see what he brings to the table. I mean the man deserves a pass for the crap movies he's been in simply because the good ones he does are fucking stellar.
All in all I praise Nic Cage for his tenacity to weather the storm of shit he gets whenever his name is mentioned by internet movie "experts" (aka the majority of forum users), and his talent for acting no matter what the material is. He's a legend to me.