Actor Kiefer Sutherland Confirms Involvement in New Mortal Kombat Game

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Actor Kiefer Sutherland Confirms Involvement in New Mortal Kombat Game

24 star Kiefer Sutherland confirms he's completed work in an unannounced Mortal Kombat title, which he claims is a"huge game."

It's no secret by now that actor an interview with IGN [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/124689-Metal-Gear-Solid-V-Casts-Kiefer-Sutherland-as-Snake] where he was discussing his role for Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain. According to Sutherland, "I did Mortal Kombat, and that's such a huge game, but it's so not like [MGS5]." He adds that he has already completed work in Mortal Kombat "pretty quickly compared to [MGS5]," though he didn't specify which role he was playing.

To date, publisher Warner Bros. has yet to respond to inquiries regarding Sutherland's involvement in the franchise, which is understandable since it has yet to even acknowledge its existence. It's also unknown whether Netherrealm Studios -- formerly known as Midway Games -- is involved in the new entry in the fighting game series. But if a new Mortal Kombat game is brewing, odds are development duties will once again be handed to Netherrealm Studios, since it's headed by MK co-creator Ed Boon and has developed virtually every main entry in the series.

Aside from MGSV: Ground Zeroes which will be released on current and next-gen consoles this March, Sutherland is also set to reprise his role as counter-terrorist agent Jack Bauer in Fox's re-launch of the hit TV Show 24: Live Another Day [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/131917-24-Live-Another-Day-Super-Bowl-Trailer-Kicks-Off], which is set to debut this coming May.

With the way things are going, Sutherland just might be the next Nolan North of video games. What other gaming franchises would you want Sutherland's gravely voice to be heard on next?

Source: IGN [http://au.ign.com/articles/2014/02/22/24-star-kiefer-sutherland-involved-in-mortal-kombat-game]

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
Now if only we could get that Lost Boys game we've all been wanting for so long.

Kenbo Slice

Deep In The Willow
Jun 7, 2010
Reed Spacer said:
They're still making these?

Why?
Probably because the one they made a few years ago was a huge success that brought the series back into the spotlight.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Reed Spacer said:

Why?
Because there are people like me, who upon hearing the news make rather disturbing "squee" noises.

Seriously, that last MK game was awesome, both in gameplay and in storytelling.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
Scars Unseen said:
Reed Spacer said:

Why?
Because there are people like me, who upon hearing the news make rather disturbing "squee" noises.

Seriously, that last MK game was awesome, both in gameplay and in storytelling.
Pretty much. I'm STILL blown away at just how much friggin' content was packed into the last game. I like Marvel vs Capcom and Street Fighter IV and Blazblue and Tekken and Soul Calibur and all that...

... But Mortal Kombat dwarfed all of those with its high-quality, hours-long story mode, hundreds of unlockables, costumes, stages, music, hidden easter eggs, quality of content, finisher moves, etc.

I eagerly await a new one.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
A movie actor is going to be in a game.

Who gives a shit? Shouldn't the game itself be what matters?

Shaoken

May 15, 2009
Racecarlock said:

A relatively big name actor has been cast in a game meaning that his voice would be heard a lot in the game itself, after being cast as the lead for another big name game, and comments that his work in that game was a lot more extensive than in this one.

If you can't see why people might be interested in any of that then I don't know what to tell you.

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Shaoken said:
Racecarlock said:

A relatively big name actor has been cast in a game meaning that his voice would be heard a lot in the game itself, after being cast as the lead for another big name game, and comments that his work in that game was a lot more extensive than in this one.

If you can't see why people might be interested in any of that then I don't know what to tell you.
I get that. Still, ellen page was in beyond two souls and that didn't stop that game from being crap.

And why are we still looking to hollywood to validate our existence? I really think gamers should have more respect for the entertainment medium they're indulging in.

Shaoken

May 15, 2009
Racecarlock said:
Shaoken said:
Racecarlock said:

I get that. Still, ellen page was in beyond two souls and that didn't stop that game from being crap.

And why are we still looking to hollywood to validate our existence? I really think gamers should have more respect for the entertainment medium they're indulging in.
This isn't about validation from Hollywood, plenty of actors have crossed over into voice acting and been great at it. Keith David comes to mind first and foremost, Patrick Stewart was in Oblivion for all of five minutes but did a great job at it, etc. etc. etc.

The part where we care is that A) it confirms that a new Mortal Kombat is in development and B) we know that Sutherland is voicing a character. So that is good news if you want a new Mortal Kombat, and it's good or bad news depending on your opinion of Sutherland's voice acting.

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
wombat_of_war said:
so do we get a bauerality where he waterboards the opponent to death?
Holy balls...I'd actually be okay with a "Bauerality." :D
FogHornG36 said:
He is going to be the voice actor for Liu Kang! I'm calling it now!

Hmm. I'd say Shang Tsung or Shao Khan or someone similar. :D

Shaoken said:
Racecarlock said:
Shaoken said:
Racecarlock said:

This isn't about validation from Hollywood, plenty of actors have crossed over into voice acting and been great at it. Keith David comes to mind first and foremost, Patrick Stewart was in Oblivion for all of five minutes but did a great job at it, etc. etc. etc.

The part where we care is that A) it confirms that a new Mortal Kombat is in development and B) we know that Sutherland is voicing a character. So that is good news if you want a new Mortal Kombat, and it's good or bad news depending on your opinion of Sutherland's voice acting.
Bingo!

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Damn the guy sure has been busy lately. First Metal Gear Solid V, then 24 revival, and now Mortal Kombat.

Zetatrain

Sep 8, 2010
Country
United States
Racecarlock said:

Because the voices that people hear in a game can affect their enjoyment of said game to varying degrees. People sure as hell threw a fit when Micheal Ironside wasn't voicing Sam Fisher for Splinter Cell and some people weren't and still aren't too pleased with Sutherland taking over as the voice of Big Boss/Snake.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
I have a strange feeling with this, coming up, that Netherrealms are perhaps trying to go through with a Mortal Kombat game that has more of a story to it. I mean, with the newest MK game, you can see they tried to do that a little bit. I hope they do. I personally loved the newer MK game, and I loved Keifer's voice in Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain, what we've seen in it, and it makes me think what character they'd put him as.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
"Jack Bauer Wins...FATALITY!!!"

Seriously, considering that Mortal Kombat went ahead and put Kratos and Freddy Kreuger in the last game, I'd be perfectly content for them just say "yeah fuck it, Jack Bauer's a playable character", and then come up with some ridiculous plot-line to put him in there (as MK is an expert at doing).

But on a related note: woohoo!! New MK in the works!