Ragnarok is Upon Us, Vikings Predict World Ending Today

Alex Co

Dec 11, 2013
Ragnarok is Upon Us, Vikings Predict World Ending Today

According to Vikings, "Ragnarok," or The End of the World is happening today, February 22, 2014.

Look around; is the apocalypse happening around you? If not, well, it should, as according to "experts" in Norse mythology from the Jorvik Viking Center [http://jorvik-viking-centre.co.uk/], Ragnarok, or the end of the world to us non-Viking folk, will happen on February 22, 2014 -- which is, you've guessed it -- today. This prediction was announced last year with the sound of an ancient horn being heard on the "rooftops of York" in November last year, which is a "portent of doom" and the beginning of a countdown to the Norse apocalypse.

The horn, named Gjallerhorn, belonged to Norse god Heimdallr, and is used to warn people that Ragnarok will be happening in the next 100 days, with the final day being the 22nd of February. According to the legends of Ragnarok, the god Odin will be killed by the wolf Fenrir and the other "creator" gods will fall, before the earth is born anew for its human re-population. Coincidentally, this countdown event is the same day as the grand finale of the 30th JORVIK Viking Festival in the city of York.

Danielle Daglan, director of the JORVIK Viking Festival states, "Ragnarok is the ultimate landmark in Viking mythology, when the gods fall and die, so this really is an event that should not be underestimated...In the last couple of years, we've had predictions of the Mayan apocalypse, which passed without incident, and numerous other dates where the end of the world has been pencilled in by seers, fortune tellers and visionaries, but the sound of the horn is possibly the best indicator yet that the Viking version of the end of the world really will happen on 22 February next year." Do keep in mind that this announcement was made in November last year, so don't go blame Daglan if the apocalypse isn't happening in your side of the globe.

Now, seeing as it's February 23rd where I am, and I've yet to be taken to Valhalla, I'm going out on a limb here and say today is not the end of the world. Don't blame the Vikings, though, even the Mayans and Nostradamus got that one bit wrong, too.

Source: JORVIK-Viking-Center [http://www.jorvik-viking-festival.co.uk/2013/11/the-world-will-end-in-100-days-ragnarok-the-viking-apocalypse-predicted-for-22-february-2014/]

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Gotta say, if there is an apocalypse myth out there that's true, I hope it's the Norse version. Ragnarok > Revelations any day. :p

greenflash

Jul 13, 2010
...Well, now the only real question remaining is who blew the horn last year and why did they do it if they knew it would trigger the apocolytic countdown?
Although, seriously, The term "Viking Centre" is probably one of the greatest terms I have ever heard.

dragongit

Feb 22, 2011
Isn't there suppose to be an unyielding winter that lasts 3 years before Ragnarok happens? I know this polar vortex thing has been really cold but you're kinda jumping the gun.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
My basic attitude is that the starting portent is dubious in it's qualifications. When a divine horn is blown signaling something like this in the proper fashion it's not going to be a local event I wouldn't think. Whether it's norse or Gabriel blowing his horn, I think the idea is that everyone, everywhere, hears it, not just some people in one particular location.

Oh, and one of the "cool" things about apocalyptic stories is that a lot of different stories involve the appearance of some sound that is supposed to inform people that it's coming, and usually it's supposed to be directed "at earth" as opposed to in a limited fashion. I haven't kept track, but I believe that's another common thread a lot of those weird ancient aliens people point to once in a while.

That said, if everyone, everywhere, suddenly hears a horn at the same exact moment and it makes the news and such, that's when you might want to start thinking in terms of prophecies and such. A "divine occurrence" heralding an extinction level event is not going to be something many people would have a chance of missing I don't think.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I'm in New Zealand, so it's already the 23. Ah, well. We're meant to have a hail storm later today, so there's that.

If they'd said it was 3 years ago in 2011 (when we had that devastating earthquake here in Christchurch which practically levelled the city) then I would have believed them more.

Stavros Dimou

Mar 15, 2011
Haven't people stopped saying the same lies "the world is going to end this year" year after year for more than a decade ?

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
Voulan said:
I'm in New Zealand, so it's already the 23. Ah, well. We're meant to have a hail storm later today, so there's that.
Same story here in Australia. Not much going on besides drought and I think Ragnarok would be a bit more dramatic then that.

r_Chance

Dec 13, 2008
Therumancer said:
My basic attitude is that the starting portent is dubious in it's qualifications. When a divine horn is blown signaling something like this in the proper fashion it's not going to be a local event I wouldn't think. Whether it's norse or Gabriel blowing his horn, I think the idea is that everyone, everywhere, hears it, not just some people in one particular location.

Oh, and one of the "cool" things about apocalyptic stories is that a lot of different stories involve the appearance of some sound that is supposed to inform people that it's coming, and usually it's supposed to be directed "at earth" as opposed to in a limited fashion. I haven't kept track, but I believe that's another common thread a lot of those weird ancient aliens people point to once in a while.

That said, if everyone, everywhere, suddenly hears a horn at the same exact moment and it makes the news and such, that's when you might want to start thinking in terms of prophecies and such. A "divine occurrence" heralding an extinction level event is not going to be something many people would have a chance of missing I don't think.
Therumancer said it all. When the Horn Gjaller does sound you will all hear it and I expect some serious panic out of you then. Don't disappoint me :)

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Even if this did happen, I still wouldn't get the day off from work.

I wonder if people promote these "end of the world" prophecies out of some belief that they'll get to say "I told you so" if they actually happen.

Riverwolf

Dec 25, 2013
Stavros Dimou said:
Haven't people stopped saying the same lies "the world is going to end this year" year after year for more than a decade ?
Try the past... forever. People have been predicting the immanent end of the world pretty much since the world proverbially began.

...and seriously, even as a person who practices Asatru (Northern European Paganism), this is dumb. I regard Ragnarok as the end of the Baldur story, something to offset the overall fatalistic attitude of Eddaic lore with at least a little bit of hope for a better future (and, frankly, probably inspired at least somewhat by Christian mythology, since the Viking era was well into the Christian era).

Since the poems of the Edda were likely composed in Iceland, I suppose we just have to wait until the 22nd passes there, but... oh, wait, it's already after midnight there, so we're all good: no Fire Giant or World Serpent this time.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Darth Sea Bass said:
Yeah bad news it's the 23rd here in the UK so no dice Raganarok!
I live on in the West of the United States, but your comment made me think of something interesting. What would happen if it really did happen, but only happened on the exact day? What I mean is, what if everyone in New Zealand suddenly started vanishing/dying/world exploding whatever, and then as the 22nd day slowly caught up the rest of the globe, the End of the World would come with it? Like the people here in the U.S. would be forced to sit and watch as the world was destroyed, until the 22nd finally caught up to us and then it was our turn. Man, that would suck...

Anyway, I think it would be amusing to fight in a final battle at the end of the world. That is what happens in Ragnarok, right? Humans get to fight too, right? Because I don't just want to sit it out if it happens.

Floppertje

Nov 9, 2009
You know, since people have been saying 'no, the world is TOTALLY going to end next month' forever, eventually, one of them is going to be right, even if it is a total coincidence. They're probably going to be an ass about it too, going all 'see, I bloody told you!' in between the burning or drowning or whatever it's gonna be...

Racecarlock

Jul 10, 2010
Considering the weather today and the last end of the world in 2012, I'm beginning to think people are confusing apocalypse days with days where the weather is unusually nice.

Well, here in utah, anyways.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
How many times does the end of the world have to fail to arrive before people will stop going on about it?

It's not happening for another five billion years, so shut up about it until then!

Solvemedia: learn. challenge. improve.

See? Even a stupid computer has some good advice for you doomsayers!