Titanfall Beta Had Around 2 Million Players

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Titanfall Beta Had Around 2 Million Players

Titanfall's servers only broke for a single seven hour period during the game's beta.

The Titanfall beta, which was first closed, then open [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/132267-Titanfall-is-Going-Full-Open-Beta-Update-3], then sort-of-closed-but-still-kind-of-open, was a wildly successful operation for developer Respawn Entertainment. Community manager Abbie Heppe and server engineer Jon 'Slothy' Shiring spoke on just how successful the game was, boasting that around 2 million unique players tried out the beta.

Server concerns are understandably a hot-button issue for EA published games, considering the rather poor job they did of ensuring both Battlefield 4 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/122550-Maxis-Adding-More-SimCity-Servers-Over-Next-Two-Days]'s launch day experiences were smooth. So, you could imagine that a red flag went up when the beta's servers broke - admittedly, only for seven hours - under the strain of just the beta players.

"[the seven hour downtime] was sort of a human error thing, while they were trying to scale up for our game," explained Shiring. "That caused a series of failures where each one was a separate bug that needed to be found and fixed. So it was really stressful, and I know people were disappointed that it didn't work for seven and a half hours straight, but by the end of it we were ready to scale up much higher. That's what we went in expecting. Let's see what breaks, fix it, and then once we get to the concurrency we're looking for, let's push it as far as it'll go and see what breaks on the high end too."

"The most important thing for us on launch day is making sure that Microsoft's Xbox Live compute platform can scale up as high as we need it to," added Shiring. "We had the alpha, but that was fairly small. Alpha proved that the tech works. Beta, the thing we wanted to test was what happens when you scale it really high, see what breaks and then fix that so we don't have to find out on launch day."

Heppe added that "You never want to say that everything is going to be perfect. Obviously there are things that can change. But you don't want to say, 'oh, no, there will still be problems,' because you don't want to give people a lack of confidence in what you're doing. I think that this beta was really about giving people confidence that not only will we be communicative with them, but we're actively trying to work out any bugs now."

The sheer transparency that Respawn is offering us in regards to the Titanfall launch, gets a huge thumbs up from me. At least they are trying to solve server issues now, instead of waiting for them to break during the launch period.

Source: Polygon [http://www.polygon.com/2014/2/21/5433928/what-did-the-titanfall-beta-achieve]

ASnogarD

Jul 2, 2009
It aint just the Xbox you need to worry about, or NA over EU, make sure its good for the other platform that MS dont pay you for as well, and dont forget there are a few players across the Atlantic as well who pay money... yes actual cash here.

The beta was fun except for the stupid manner to enter the damn thing, I had to beg a help desk at EA for one and got one practically on the last day...dont play the fave game of opening up the one platform and making the other fight for a handful of keys like beggars after a handful of change, respect all the platforms you support... not just the bloody bone.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Well, it's nice to see an EA studio visibly co-ordinating and preparing for an online game launch for once...

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
I find it hilarious how they'll spend literally millions on everything else, but still fail to put even a fraction of that into a more prepared server system.

Always and forever a "don't fix it until after it breaks on day one" system.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Alpha Maeko said:
I find it hilarious how they'll spend literally millions on everything else, but still fail to put even a fraction of that into a more prepared server system.

Wasn't that the point of the beta, though? To stress test the servers, so that it won't break down day one?

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
I've said it before and I'll say it again:

The more Respawn speaks, the more admiration and respect I have for them. Seriously, these people are showing they not only have a love for gaming and game design, but also an incredible amount of respect for gaming community and their fans.

I sorely wish we had more studios that thought and spoke as they do.

Kmadden2004 said:
Well, it's nice to see an EA studio visibly co-ordinating and preparing for an online game launch for once...
Just wanted to say that Respawn isn't actually an EA studio. EA is only distributing the game, they don't own Respawn nor the Titanfall IP.

Alpha Maeko said:

You....you DO realize the beta was a stress test of the servers, right? That it was designed to show them any issues that might arise on launch so that they can fix them before launch?

Did you even read the article?

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
Brian Tams said:
Alpha Maeko said:

Wasn't that the point of the beta, though? To stress test the servers, so that it won't break down day one?
We will see.

I'd love to see a project that has EA anywhere near it that relies on the internet and doesn't break on day one. You're right, but I'm still skeptical.

TheRealCJ

Mar 28, 2009
CriticKitten said:
Huh, whaddya know. Maybe Titanfall will be the Xbone's savior after all.

Unless a decent chunk of those two million people had a negative opinion of the game, that is.
I have my serious doubts that all two million of those players were Xbone owners. Considering the huge rush for PC codes, I'd say a good chunk were those.

Adam Locking

Aug 10, 2012
CriticKitten said:
What makes you think that? The game is available on 360 and PC as well, and I can't see anyone going out to buy a console for a cross-platform game...

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Alpha Maeko said:

Because that's what a beta is, right? Day one?

Don't be silly. The beta served its purpose beautifully: Find and eliminate bugs as they happen.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
I still discourage people from pre-ordering Titanfall, no matter how good the beta was.

As a golden example, Battlefield 4's beta was approximately 50x less crash-prone and buggy than the released version. Tons of people pre-ordered based on the beta and look what they were given. It was only after release did we find out the true depth of BF4's issues and just how FUCKED it is from the very foundations (I still play BF4, lots of netcode/technical issues still rampant).

Respawn themselves have said not to throw 100% faith into Titanfall being problem-free. Just don't pre-order games, get out of the habit.

1337mokro

Dec 24, 2008
Oh My God.... It's learning... EA is actually learning from it's previous mistakes... THE END IS NIGH!!! RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Personally, I never had connection issues or problems with servers (PC), I only had problems with lag. Which, to be honest, is more annoying to me than being thrown out of a lobby. The only other problem I had with this game was the fact that its taught me that I need to upgrade my non-console. And looking at the price of new graphics cards makes me want to cry, especially with the beer festival just around the corner.

Will be looking forward to Titanfall next month, this is the most fun I've had in an FPS for a looooong time. Plus, despite its problems, it was still the best beta I took part in so far this year. That Elder Scrolls Online beta...........made me want to go out and eat live pandas.

Mothhive

Apr 2, 2010
CriticKitten said:

Unless a decent chunk of those two million people had a negative opinion of the game, that is.
Well, considering the PC version was part of the beta, and they ran out of keys for that but not for the Xbox One version, it's likely that a decent chunk of that 2 Million were PC users.

Cerebrawl

Feb 19, 2014
As a PC gamer... I tried it out for about an hour after work last saturday, might be that I just wasn't in the mood for it, but it failed to keep my interest. It is competently done though.

I think one problem is map related, the more open the map is, the less you can actually use the parkour features, and those parkour features while nice to see, still didn't feel as good as they do in Warframe, which I played to death. Maybe I've been spoiled.

Likewise the infantry gunplay felt a bit too generic modern military shooter. More interesting, higher skill ceiling guns would've helped. There's also a sense that it's too much free for all and too little structure and goals, I've never really been a fan of team deathmatch pubbing. Counter-strike was good because you had objectives, which introduced a sense of strategy, teamwork, deception, and subterfuge. Me and the teammates I spoke to figured that this game doesn't even really need its voicechat.

The best part is the titan combat, which IMO is far better than in HAWKEN.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
Vigormortis said:
Alpha Maeko said:

You....you DO realize the beta was a stress test of the servers, right? That it was designed to show them any issues that might arise on launch so that they can fix them before launch?

Did you even read the article?
That's the exact thing they said about the Bad Company 2 beta. And the BF3 beta. And the BF4 beta. Granted, those have been the only games from EA that I was interested in enough to follow, but the precedence remains. Those games were supposed to be EA's killer app at the time, and when people complained about issues that they witnessed, they were told that they were "objectively wrong," and that the issues had already been addressed; the beta was an "old build" simply for "stress testing" purposes. Yet each of those games suffered server issues (as well as others) at launch.

Don't drink the kool-aid.

tdylan

Jun 17, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Alpha Maeko said:

Because that's what a beta is, right? Day one?

Don't be silly. The beta served its purpose beautifully: Find and eliminate bugs as they happen.
In this day and age, calling a game a "beta" usually means "a demo that we don't have to keep online indefinitely." For example, I download the new Madden DEMO every year. I play it every once in a while, but there's not enough there to get me to buy the full game. Companies know this. They know there are people like me that will get all of their satisfaction out of the DEMO, and never buy the full game. But what can they do? They have to release a demo in order to drum up interest, but they can't leave it up and lose sales to the folks that are happy to keep playing it. I think they figured out that if they call is a BETA instead of a DEMO, they can then be "justified" in taking it offline. Hey, it was just for beta testing purposes, right? Not like it was an actual demo or anything.